Why? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 PM
For me, the cringe-inducing lines are too much to overcome. It's a weird double standard, in all honesty, as one of my favorite records of the decade remains A Grand Don't Come For Free, by The Streets. I don't know what it is, but a lot of Wolf's stuff just makes me physically uncomfortable.

I love 2-3 songs on each record, but that's it. You can't love 'em all, I guess.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
It was on there for free just a year ago, so I won't judge in this instance.

That's kinda what makes the chess line for me. It's so ridiculous in and of itself that the serious delivery cracks me up.

One of my most memorable experiences from seeing them live last year was hearing them soundcheck 'Fatalist Palmistry' from outside the venue. The doors were open, and I could hear it perfectly from where I was. They didn't even play it during the show, but it sounded so fantastic during the soundcheck that I didn't even care. None of that had anything to do with what we were talking about, but I'm just glad there's finally someone on here that I can discuss Alopecia with as much as I'd wanted to for the last year and a half.
Holy shit, I just got a free downloading pass from Scumbo. Somebody please record this for future generations to remember.

Yeah, it's true. Each time I hear it, it makes me kind of angry instead of making me laugh at its irony. No idea why, considering a good chunk of his lyrics are tongue-in-cheek.

Awesome. "Fatalist Palmistry" is another favorite of mine. I love the opening lines: I sleep on my back cause it's good for the spine and coffin rehearsal (love, love, love that one bit). I know a psychic who reads her own palms and her findings are personal. She keeps her fists shut tight and she sleeps on her side, well maybe she knows something I don't know." Plus, there's yet another recurring image in there with the catcher's mitts that show up again in "By Torpedo or Crohn's" (which, interestingly, is tending to be where a lot of this stuff reappears).

Oh, no worries, a good semi-related tangent is always fun. Plus, I know that feeling of finally being able to talk about an album you love with another person. Also, I CAN'T WAIT to see these guys live now. Only a few months away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
"The Fall of Mr. Fifths" is still the only straight-up great song on that record, although I'll pretty gladly give you "A Sky For Shoeing Horses Under," if I have to make any further concessions.
Really? We'll have to agree to disagree on this one then.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #63
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I love the opening lines: I sleep on my back cause it's good for the spine and coffin rehearsal
That was my sig for a few months last year.

While I love the entire song, I looooove this section of These Few Presidents:

I thought I had a pebble in my sock
I pulled it off
And shook out a wasp
It stumbled out lost,
And without a pause
Unstung as I was,
Still I stomped it

By the way Shouter, the "Arbitrarily yours" line was an old Bang and Clatter thing from years back where people would sign that under any negative or differing from the standard opinion type post. I threw it in there for you as I thought it fit well at the time, and then realized there's probably only one other poster on here who'd even recognize it still. Just wanted to explain I wasn't being a douche, just throwing in outdated forum inside jokes...which probably is kinda douchey in and of itself.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh, hardly offended. No worries. I just felt like elaborating, as I kind of gate-crashed.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
OK, sorry I agree most band names are kind of dumb, but I got the band/album names messed up here, Why? I guess isn't that bad, but the album title is horrible, anyone else here aware of what alopecia is? (Other than a really ugly word). I may be judging that too soon, perhaps it has a lot to do with a recurring lyric theme?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
OK, sorry I agree most band names are kind of dumb, but I got the band/album names messed up here, Why? I guess isn't that bad, but the album title is horrible, anyone else here aware of what alopecia is? (Other than a really ugly word). I may be judging that too soon, perhaps it has a lot to do with a recurring lyric theme?
Alopecia areata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a disease where you lose your hair from all over your body, essentially. And, yeah, he does talk about losing hair in at least one song on the album, "By Torpedo or Crohn's."

If we really want to dig deep into it, both alopecia and Crohn's disease (the chronic disorder he's describing in "By Torpedo or Crohn's," which I happen to have, actually) are autoimmune disorders and chronic diseases, as well as often causing social anxiety and stress due to their symptoms. Whether or not Wolf meant to make that connection is up in the air, but it's one that could be made. One more brief note: speaking from my perspective, having Crohn's has definitely made me ponder mortality a whole lot more too, which is another main theme of the album.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That was my sig for a few months last year.

While I love the entire song, I looooove this section of These Few Presidents:

I thought I had a pebble in my sock
I pulled it off
And shook out a wasp
It stumbled out lost,
And without a pause
Unstung as I was,
Still I stomped it
Nice! That reminds me, I haven't changed my quote in my sig in quite awhile. Not that that's related to Why? so much, but just thinking aloud...

I listened to the first half of Alopecia again while walking around tonight, and "These Few Presidents" is definitely up there in my favorites too. That part you mentioned is great. I also like the bit right after it, when Wolf goes, "Wah-wah-wah." The delivery makes me laugh inside every time I hear it.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #68
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
the album title is horrible
That's what the ghost of someone's dad might say.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Fun Why? related fact: One of Yoni Wolf's side projects, Hymie's Basement, was conceived of in Minneapolis in a record shop called Hymie's Vintage Records. I've actually been in the basement of the place. Good times.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Alopecia areata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a disease where you lose your hair from all over your body, essentially. And, yeah, he does talk about losing hair in at least one song on the album, "By Torpedo or Crohn's."

If we really want to dig deep into it, both alopecia and Crohn's disease (the chronic disorder he's describing in "By Torpedo or Crohn's," which I happen to have, actually) are autoimmune disorders and chronic diseases, as well as often causing social anxiety and stress due to their symptoms. Whether or not Wolf meant to make that connection is up in the air, but it's one that could be made. One more brief note: speaking from my perspective, having Crohn's has definitely made me ponder mortality a whole lot more too, which is another main theme of the album.
Thanks for your response, good to know its actually a part of the album, with the crazy colors on the cover I thought maybe it was an indie hipster band's attempt at random-humor.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #71
Blue Meth Addict

Why? and Themselves collaboration? Yes, please! You can download it here:

Pitchfork: Forkcast

It's awesome. Doseone rules.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 PM
THE WHY!? are playing Funfunfunfest this year. Should I listen to em?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Why? and Themselves collaboration? Yes, please! You can download it here:

Pitchfork: Forkcast

It's awesome. Doseone rules.
Nice. Will download when I get back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
THE WHY!? are playing Funfunfunfest this year. Should I listen to em?
Yes.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #74
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Yes.
Yes seconded.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Guess who just scored guest list and a photo pass for the Minneapolis WHY? show?

Tags
alopecia