Why? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #46
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Sadly, he still described why he feels the way he does about the album better than many professional critics. I want more "I'm worried I'm going to crap my pants while listening to an album" reviews.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Umm...wow, this is not what I was expecting at all. Lovely little record, but it really caught me off guard, and the vocals are pretty lousy. I miss the rapping, but I'll adjust. The songwriting is surprisingly strong.
yep. i really enjoyed it too.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 PM
OK, I haven't listened yet, but this is perhaps the worst band name ever. And that means it tops 'Harmonica Lewinsky'.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Apparently it used to be Yoni Wolf's graffiti tag. Better than something silly like U2...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's a cool band name. Still have only heard like 2 tracks by these guys. Liked 'em both. I need to do something about that.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

I like it quite a bit too. Then again, I usually don't get too hung up on band names either. You should definitely check more of their stuff out though. It didn't resonate with me until all of a sudden one day, and now Wolf's stories have got me in a vice grip. He's weirdly fascinating and engrossing to listen to.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #52
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I like it quite a bit too. Then again, I usually don't get too hung up on band names either.
Same here. At the end of the day, they're all pretty silly, who cares?

Elephant Eyelash is a pretty good album too, everyone. Unless you're going to steal it, then it sucks.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Same here. At the end of the day, they're all pretty silly, who cares?

Elephant Eyelash is a pretty good album too, everyone. Unless you're going to steal it, then it sucks.
I'd never thought about it that way, but yeah, they really are.

Listening to it now. A line deemed itself worthy of being my Facebook status already, so there's that. Of course, a Why? line has been up as my status quite a few times over the past couple weeks, so that's not terribly new I guess.

One thing that I like a lot about this band is that each of their albums sounds fairly different. There's always Wolf's sing-song voice sitting somewhere between rapping and singing, but I dig that the music behind him always has its own vibe that's coherent throughout each record. Plus, at least with Alopecia and Eskimo Snow, there's lyrical continuity and referencing to itself/other lines within the albums, which I'm always a sucker for. I could probably go on for longer, but I'll spare you all. (If you can't tell, I'm itching to get back to analyzing some pop music in classes again )
Old 08-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #54
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
There's always Wolf's sing-song voice sitting somewhere between rapping and singing, but I dig that the music behind him always has its own vibe that's coherent throughout each record. Plus, at least with Alopecia and Eskimo Snow, there's lyrical continuity and referencing to itself/other lines within the albums, which I'm always a sucker for. I could probably go on for longer, but I'll spare you all. (If you can't tell, I'm itching to get back to analyzing some pop music in classes again )
Agreed!

I really like the repeating lines ("That's what the ghost of someone's dad might say" for example) and themes in Alopecia. I just caught another repeating line I'd never noticed before a few weeks ago from the album, but I've already forgotten what it was....

One of these days I really should do one of those "favorite lines from each song" posts I said I'd do for Alopecia last year and never did. So many great lines.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Agreed!

I really like the repeating lines ("That's what the ghost of someone's dad might say" for example) and themes in Alopecia. I just caught another repeating line I'd never noticed before a few weeks ago from the album, but I've already forgotten what it was....

One of these days I really should do one of those "favorite lines from each song" posts I said I'd do for Alopecia last year and never did. So many great lines.
Another of my favorites is: "like half a proud horse downbrook I hear somebody's babbling I mistook for a cavalry whispering victory," which, coming after both "Brook & Waxing" and "A Sky for Shoeing Horses Under," is a bit of fun, but fairly dense wordplay that references the titles of both songs. And then there's: "I can decide while I'm alive I'll feel alive and what's next I guess I'll know when I've gotten there." Along with being one of my favorite lines on Alopecia period, it's cool how it shows up in "Brook & Waxing," and then again in "By Torpedo or Crohn's."

Yeah, that's what usually happens to me too. I'll catch it as I'm sort of within the mentality of the record, but once I'm not listening to it anymore, I tend to forget the minute details like repeating lines or references.

You should. There's a goldmine of phenomenal lines on there. Along with some clunkers ("I only played chess once in my life and I lost," I'm looking at you ), but that's to be expected.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #56
Blue Meth Addict

Dang, that's one of my favs from Sky For Shoeing, actually.

"I'm f**king cold like a DQ Blizzard" from 'Yo Yo Bye Bye' on Elephant Eyelash is great (I was just listening to that as typing).

I'm not sure if their Myspace still has it or not, but they had a free download up of their cover of The Cure's 'Close To Me' on there last year. It's so drastically different that it's pretty enjoyable to hear from time to time.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Dang, that's one of my favs from Sky For Shoeing, actually.

"I'm f**king cold like a DQ Blizzard" from 'Yo Yo Bye Bye' on Elephant Eyelash is great (I was just listening to that as typing).

I'm not sure if their Myspace still has it or not, but they had a free download up of their cover of The Cure's 'Close To Me' on there last year. It's so drastically different that it's pretty enjoyable to hear from time to time.
I don't like how he delivers it. I feel like the line's too pretentious and profound for its own good. He's better at making observations and smart comments when he's not trying. All just my opinion of course.

That's the line I've got as my status now, actually. Love that line so much.

Nope, it's up to listen to, but not to download. Which, as I'm sure you know, means I'll be finding it through non-Utahian means.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #58
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Nope, it's up to listen to, but not to download. Which, as I'm sure you know, means I'll be finding it through non-Utahian means.
It was on there for free just a year ago, so I won't judge in this instance.

That's kinda what makes the chess line for me. It's so ridiculous in and of itself that the serious delivery cracks me up.

One of my most memorable experiences from seeing them live last year was hearing them soundcheck 'Fatalist Palmistry' from outside the venue. The doors were open, and I could hear it perfectly from where I was. They didn't even play it during the show, but it sounded so fantastic during the soundcheck that I didn't even care. None of that had anything to do with what we were talking about, but I'm just glad there's finally someone on here that I can discuss Alopecia with as much as I'd wanted to for the last year and a half.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

"The Fall of Mr. Fifths" is still the only straight-up great song on that record, although I'll pretty gladly give you "A Sky For Shoeing Horses Under," if I have to make any further concessions.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #60
Blue Meth Addict

Arbitrarily yours,

Shouter

Tags
alopecia