Who will be the world's next biggest band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could be Neon Trees' #1 fan, you never know...

NO WAY, I AM!!!1!!11!!!1!!!!!!!!

I know you're just joking around, which is why I am doing the same in return. If I honestly thought you were trying to tear them down, I would have burned your house down by now.

I'll see you at their gig in St Kilda this weekend :wink:

I wouldn't. We all like different things. I hated Build a Rocket Boys and recall not being overly impressed by the other tracks I heard through DI. I don't even enjoy their version of RTSS. But no, I'm never being serious when I call them shit, just stirring the pot. "My loss", as pH put it.

Elfa doesn't like gravy?

The historian needs to search for this original discussion. I've been calling him "Gravy hater" ever since, but I don't really remember when it started. Something to do with Elfa commenting on not eating gravy because he's one of those vegetable lovin' types.

More like El-lame-bow, amirite??

I think this is the appropriate response to that joke

179412d1313333632-animated-gif-thread-ik30c.gif

Please allow me to tell you to please shut up about a band you know nothing about. You downloaded their worst album, that not even any of their fans had much of anything positive to say about, and now think you hate them. You have no one to blame but yourself.

:applaud:This made my day.

Cobbler is a lost cause when it comes to Elbow, his loss, not the band's.

It's these moments when I want to punch Cobbler in the face.

zooropop40 said:
But of those 4, the best band, (not necessarily going to be the most popular) is Arcade Fire

Nah, I reckon Elbow and Coldplay are superior than Arcade Fire.

Coldplay comes closest but I think they've already reached their peak in terms of popularity.

And what others have said, the time of stadium-sized bands is over. Rock just isn't that popular anymore.

if i could go back in history and change people's opinions (mostly in the marketing world), i would say that Doves are the next big band. that's in my alternate universe though.

if i could go back in history and change people's opinions (mostly in the marketing world), i would say that Doves are the next big band. that's in my alternate universe though.

Can I live there with you?

Outkast.

mikal said:

Not PJ Harvey?

When I saw The Verve back on the Urban Hymns tour I thought they were destined for big things. Ashcroft really laid it all out there performance-wise, a near-religious experience. Not too British, not assholes like Oasis, or cheeseball like Cockplay, with sophisticated and direct songwriting.

A shame the guitarist is a basket case.

He was talking about what personally held them back, not about musical ability. I like The Verve, but they were always another Britpop band, never seemed poised to take over the world. I was disappointed when they fell apart again before they could tour here for Forth.

Oh, I knew what he meant. Just wanted an opening to rep Nick McCabe, who has to be one of my favorite guitarists.

Oh, fair enough, he is definitely what initially drew me to their music. Aschroft has some playful vocals, but overall he does get under your skin when you watch him perform. You'd think after years of all his other endeavors coming up short he'd realize he's not the second coming.

By far and away the best thing about the Verve. Proof: A Storm In Heaven.

The music on there is very cool, but from a songwriting perspective? Not very developed.

If you compare that to Pink Floyd's trajectory, Dark Side of the Moon may not be as musically adventurous as the earlier stuff, but that is one damn fine collection of songs. I think Urban Hymns could have been an all-timer, and for some people it is. Had McCabe not had a nervous breakdown in the middle of the tour, who knows? A Northern Soul is probably where you split the difference, but you know I'd take History and On My Own over anything from A Storm in Heaven.

He was talking about what personally held them back, not about musical ability. I like The Verve, but they were always another Britpop band, never seemed poised to take over the world. I was disappointed when they fell apart again before they could tour here for Forth.

That's unfair. The point I was trying to make was that they were NOT like the other Britpop bands; in fact, I don't know how you could even classify them as that. Their songs are like the least British of any big band from that period. I love Blur, Supergrass, etc., but there was a provincial angle in the writing, singing, and/or the sound that prevented any of them from going totally global. With Oasis, Liam has that snarl of a vocal that's far from welcoming, more suited to a Rolling Stones ripoff band than one who wants to emulate the Beatles. And of course they were douchebags, which failed to break them here. No America, no international reign.

Incorrect, kind sir. Every Ashcroft solo album has at least 2 or 3 stellar tracks.... the rest are shit

Thank you. And I'd say the first two albums have more than 2 or 3 good songs, but whatever.

Oh, fair enough, he is definitely what initially drew me to their music. Aschroft has some playful vocals, but overall he does get under your skin when you watch him perform. You'd think after years of all his other endeavors coming up short he'd realize he's not the second coming.

I can't speak for how he's been post-Verve, but that's not the point. I saw them in 1997 at a small club in Boston, and the guy BROUGHT it. He was like a combination of Jagger (in terms of his physical display) and Boner (in terms of how he was going into a spiritual trance at times). They were easily capable of handling stadium-sized crowds here (something they surely did in Britian).

Laz, I was stating how they came off to me personally, and while I'll agree with you they aren't provincial or twee in the slightest, I said that meaning in terms of the sound of their music they didn't stick out from the bunch drastically. I say all this as someone who was under 12 years old when they were in their prime. I am a fan, I just don't think they were one of the all-time greats.

On this topic, this has always been my favorite Verve track:

The Verve - Sonnet - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom