Who will be the world's next biggest band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey788

Refugee
Sad as it is to say, U2 will at some point relinquish their title of Biggest Band in the World. So the question for this thread is "who's next"?

Which band do you think will be the next U2? Not in terms of similarities in sound, but it terms of having emotionally resonate music that also has widespread commercial appeal. Obviously, in this different era, no band will probably ever gain the dominance and success U2 has. This thread is to discuss who will come the closest.

For me, there are four bands who have a chance of becoming the next biggest band:

Arcade Fire: They are on their only their third album and they already scored a Best Album Grammy, played Madison Square Garden, and headlined every major festival in America. They are insanely popular with the young adult crowd, put on a spectacular concert, and show no signs of slowing down. The only thing that would hurt is another Neon Bible. One more record like The Suburbs may make them the best band of the 2000s.

Coldplay: Yes, there are countless jokes about them that even I often make. But the truth is that they are one of the few rock bands to have smash hits on every album that have broken through to the mainstream. They've managed to gain popularity on both sides of the Atlantic. The band also has that expansive sound that works wonderfully in a large crowd. The only problem is the quality of each album has been questionable since A Rush of Blood to the Head. Every record since then has divided critics and the fanbase.

Elbow: Why the hell isn't this band more popular in America? They've taken the best parts of U2 and Radiohead and combined them into something wholly theirs. Build a Rocket Boys! is quickly shaping up to be the best album of 2011 for me. It feels like everything they do grows from their previous record, changing their sound up while keeping the core identity intact. Not to mention that Guy Garvey is one of the most charming frontmen around today. He's got an astounding voice and astounding stage presence.

Muse: The best quality of Muse is that they are truly bombastic. Every song feels like it has the force to level an arena. They are all incredibly talented musicians who aren't afraid to put on a spectacle. They really seem to be one of the few younger groups who are pushing the limits of enhancing their concerts with technology. They've reached stadium level in Europe and arena level in America. Only problem? The Resistance is the wrong direction to take, IMO, and Bellamy's lyrics are still far too vague too often.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

Elbow: Why the hell isn't this band more popular in America? They've taken the best parts of U2 and Radiohead and combined them into something wholly theirs. Build a Rocket Boys! is quickly shaping up to be the best album of 2011 for me. It feels like everything they do grows from their previous record, changing their sound up while keeping the core identity intact. Not to mention that Guy Garvey is one of the most charming frontmen around today. He's got an astounding voice and astounding stage presence.

I approve of this post just for this part alone. :heart:

In today's fractured day & age, there will never be another Beatles, Rolling Stones, U2-sized superstar band. Coldplay is as close as we're going to get. Rock isn't the mainstream anymore, and even the biggest US/UK artists aren't huge worldwide. We're in an era of niche, regional and indie success.

Also, much as I'm an Elbow fanboy, let's be honest, they're far too esoteric for breakthrough radio success, even in the UK they aren't superstars, and they've been around for over 15 years.

Also, much as I'm an Elbow fanboy, let's be honest, they're far too esoteric for breakthrough radio success, even in the UK they aren't superstars, and they've been around for over 15 years.

I entirely agree.

I hate how old you also just made me feel.

Hahaha, I'm 23 and feel like a 'get off my lawn!' type personality when it comes to music compared to my peers given my disdain for 99% of mainstream music since 2000.

Hahaha, I'm 23 and feel like a 'get off my lawn!' type personality when it comes to music compared to my peers given my disdain for 99% of mainstream music since 2000.

I mostly just mean that I remember importing Elbow's first album, because it hadn't been released in the US yet, like it was yesterday. Also remember driving around in my car listening to it.

Elbow being the biggest band of those four is a lot like if Japan had been the most popular of U2, The Cure and Echo and The Bunnymen: sure, they're all great, but the fuck?

I'm not saying they have zero commercial appeal, but they certainly don't have the ambition to acquire more of it. If Arcade Fire becomes the world's next overblown arena rock band, we'll all be better off. Except possibly Arcade Fire.

What a horrible thing to say.

GYI0062230319_LR1.jpg

I also remember driving around in my car listening to it, because I do that at least once a month. As awesome as their entire body of work is, in my opinion they've yet to top Asleep in the Back

I also remember driving around in my car listening to it, because I do that at least once a month. As awesome as their entire body of work is, in my opinion they've yet to top Asleep in the Back

Woo, it's still one of my favs too. Leaders probably tops it for me, but Asleep is pretty dang close. Any Day Now is one of my fav. Elbow songs. :reject:

Of the 4 proposed, probably Muse.

Also throw Foo Fighters into the mix.

No need to hide, Any Day Now is the song that hooked me on them, and remains my favorite of theirs. Such a distinctive sound that track has.

Ehh, none of the above.

None of those bands have a frontman that comes off even potentially iconic as Boner. None has a signature sound that isn't hugely derivative (Arcade Fire possibly the exception). And I don't think any of them are capable of the sheer range of style that can reach across so many demographics. Consider the musical terrain covered by the path from BallBoy to Unforgettable Liar to Shuttle & Bum to Achtung Birdie. And that's in the span of 10 years.

Also, how many noteworthy hits do these bands have so far? Cockplay would be the leader here, but does their first decade of work boast a collection anywhere near Shuttlecock's singles from that same time period?

No fucking way. The suoergroup era is over.

Foo Fighters? Are you expecting something to happen that the rest of us arent???

Please not Elbow :pray:

Please allow me to tell you to please shut up about a band you know nothing about. You downloaded their worst album, that not even any of their fans had much of anything positive to say about, and now think you hate them. You have no one to blame but yourself.

u2popmofo said:
Please allow me to tell you to please shut up about a band you know nothing about. You downloaded their worst album, that not even any of their fans had much of anything positive to say about, without asking anyone if that's where you should start, and now think you hate them. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Listen to him Cobbler, most of the time he is wrong, but not this time...

Here's another time I'm not wrong:

Elfa, you gravy hating cat fanatic, shut your Canadian mouth!

:wink:

In today's fractured day & age, there will never be another Beatles, Rolling Stones, U2-sized superstar band. Coldplay is as close as we're going to get. Rock isn't the mainstream anymore, and even the biggest US/UK artists aren't huge worldwide. We're in an era of niche, regional and indie success.

My thoughts exactly. :up:

Please allow me to tell you to please shut up about a band you know nothing about. You downloaded their worst album, that not even any of their fans had much of anything positive to say about, and now think you hate them. You have no one to blame but yourself.

I'm just deliberately pot stirring. I could be Neon Trees' #1 fan, you never know...

guys, dont be silly, good Alt rock music is not in demand any more by the general public. just look at the top 40.

Plus, for those who listen to good alt music, it seems the general trend now a days is to not be 'mainstream.' Bands no longer strive for huge popularity and instead just want a committed fan base, rather than being the biggest ever.

But of those 4, the best band, (not necessarily going to be the most popular) is Arcade Fire

Back
Top Bottom