Who will be the world's next biggest band? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Wanting it is only part of it.

Thom Yorke's voice is too divisive, I doubt Radiohead could have even if they wanted it.

Pearl Jam, as great as they are, don't have the range.

Foo Fighters...I'm not even going to comment. No way.
very true

Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I don't think The Verve sound anything like the Stones, even if they are paying royalties to them for one of their classical pieces. That's probably what you're thinking of.

Primal Scream loves the Stones though.
nah, i'm thinking of that richard ashcroft solo thing that sounded like the entire thing was a straight up stones rip. i didn't even know jagger wrote bittersweet symphony til a couple hours ago when the song came up in conversation here at work. talk about random. not sure how it came up, i walked into the room and people were talking about how they wish they never had to hear it again.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Jagger didn't write "Bittersweet Symphony."

Ashcroft wrote it, but he took a lot of the music in the song from an old orchestral version of the Stones' "The Last Time."
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:24 PM
ok, then that dude is wrong. only thing i know is i hate that song and agree with whoever said they wish to never hear it again. and that i'm tired and want to be home sleeping.

and no, oasis doesn't sound like rubber soul/revolver beatles. they sound like a cheap knockoff.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:24 PM
See, I don't even think they sound like they were trying to knock off the Beatles' sound. They were obviously self-professed Beatle fanatics, and there are a few glaring instances where they stole from them (the end of She's Electric, the lyrical winks, etc.), but musically, Oasis' (Noel's) guitars were big and loud and heavily distorted, and really nothing like anything the Beatles did.

Listen to Definitely Maybe. For the most part the guitars on that album are very big and very loud, crowded, sort of a wall of sound thing. Noel ripped off T-Rex more than he ripped off the Beatles.

Oasis were too obnoxious and in your face to be a Beatles ripoff.

EDIT: Oh, and Liam's vocals are more a copy of John Lydon than John Lennon.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
See, I don't even think they sound like they were trying to knock off the Beatles' sound. They were obviously self-professed Beatle fanatics, and there are a few glaring instances where they stole from them (the end of She's Electric, the lyrical winks, etc.), but Oasis' (Noel's) guitars were big and loud and heavily distorted, and really nothing like anything the Beatles did.

Listen to Definitely Maybe. For the most part the guitars on that album are very big and very loud, crowded, sort of a wall of sound thing. Noel ripped off T-Rex more than he ripped off the Beatles.

Oasis were too obnoxious and in your face to be a Beatles ripoff.
Liam Gallagher proclaims himself as the reincarnation of John Lennon. I certainly think they were shooting for a new Beatles sound.

To the thread... all the names like Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam... doesn't work. They're too old. I'm not saying they're about to leave anytime soon, but their best work is past them.

Which leads me to my point that if Mikel Jollet would've gotten started with music... oh... 20 years ago... I'd throw The Airborne Toxic Event into the mix as huge for an up and coming band. Unfortunately, being 37 years old doesn't hold your case for building a big legacy.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I approve of this post just for this part alone.
Me too

I love Elbow and love their music, have all their albums, BUT I still think they are not really candidates for the "biggest band in the world" title because they don't make music that appeals to a huge enough audience. I think there will never be a "biggest" band like U2 again. They are and will always be the most universal band around. All the band that are popular now won't have a long enough carreer and a huge enough appeal to compete with U2.

Tags
arcade fire, biggest band, boredom leads to threads, coldplay, elbow, muse, u2