Who has been the greatest live act ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen a veritable ton of bands, but so far nothing has really come close to Sigur Ros, My Morning Jacket, Radiohead, and Wilco. Best all time? I'm sure that's not true. But best I've seen, which is something considering I've also seen heavyweights like Clapton, Santana, Plant on the Mighty Rearranger tour, the Stones, Dylan, and Tom Petty, to name a few.

I think if you like a band, know their songs and they're actually capable of playing live, your gonna have a great time. If someone told me all these groups were playing on the same night, were gonna play a setlist of my choosing and were gonna be young and at the top of their game, I'd have a pretty hard time choosing who to see. Of groups I've seen, off the top of my head (I'm sure I'll forget a lot): The Clash, Devo, Talking Heads, Led Zeppelin, English Beat, Split Enz, Hunters & Collectors, Pink Floyd, Midnight Oil, Springsteen, Grateful Dead, Dead Kennedys,Moody Blues, Elvis Costello & the Attractions, Genesis w/Gabriel, Yes, Roxy Music, Neil Young, King Crimson.........

I'd be loathe to vote for Zeppelin as they've had plenty of uneven Live performances in their career.....and, I'm a big fan so I say that with reluctance.

All bands have had their "uneven" moments. Zep was legendary for their live concerts, and it was one of the reasons they were the only band to have more than five number one albums without any top 10 hits (Stairway was never even released). They were the most bootlegged band of their time.

Every Zep fan knows that "Song Remains the Same" was not their best live stuff ...it's become legendary for other reasons (the ultimate Rock concert film) It was very difficult to do the set up for a concert video in 1973 as oppposed to when bands like Queen did their famous ones (ex. Live in Montreal 1981). Some people (I'm not saying you) think that they weren't great live because of that film, but look at the other live stuff they released more recently...the BBC sessions, How the West Was Won and the Zeppelin DVD with the Royal Albert Hall performances and other latter day concerts (Knebworth and Earle's Court I think)

In many ways I think U2 were the best Live Act successors to U2...Zep went from 1969 - 1980...U2 1980 since. It's also interesting that U2's road manager Dennis Sheehan was part of Zeppelin's crew...(someone else was as well but I can't remember the name.)

Several people I've talked to recently saw Elton John solo with a grand piano and thought he was the best show they'd ever seen - over 3 hours of hits and memories.

Wish I could go back in time and see a Doors concert (one where Morrison behaved himself enough to actually finish the concert)

Back
Top Bottom