Who has been the greatest live act ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So does that mean you got to hear ASOH live then? (and for that matter did you get to hear The Unforgettable Fire?)
Nope.

Here is the set list from the JT Show I attended:

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
Trip Through Your Wires
People Get Ready
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Exit / Riders On The Storm (snippet)
In God's Country
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Maggie's Farm / Cold Turkey (snippet) / School's Out (snippet), C'mon Everybody
Trip Through Your Wires (Bono told the crowd that they fucked up it the first time, so they played Trip 2x)
Bad / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
October
Springhill Mining Disaster
New Year's Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
encores: With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
Gloria

The crowd were singing "How long.....to sing this song" all the way out into the parking lot. It was amazing.

Even still that seems so excellent. At the Chicago show the "How Long To sing this song-ing" lasted well after the show but not that long. That sounds amazing honestly.

Even still that seems so excellent. At the Chicago show the "How Long To sing this song-ing" lasted well after the show but not that long. That sounds amazing honestly.

Oh, it was indeed excellent, just an amazing experience, doubly so when you consider that it was my first concert of any variety....what a debut!!....and at the time, my love for ASOH was not quite like it is now.....years and years of listening to and appreciating that song have made my fervor for it stronger and stronger.

Oh, it was indeed excellent, just an amazing experience, doubly so when you consider that it was my first concert of any variety....what a debut!!....and at the time, my love for ASOH was not quite like it is now.....years and years of listening to and appreciating that song have made my fervor for it stronger and stronger.

Maybe some day you'll get it, and I'll get TUF. One can dream right?

Chicago was my first secular concert for what it's worth btw, it might as well have been my first real concert as well though

Can't judge older stuff because I was never there and I haven't watched enough live DVDs, though I'd think Zep, Queen, and The Who would be up there. Modern, U2, Muse, and Rage Against the Machine are the best I've seen. Muse especially is AMAZING. Fuckin epic!

I'm going to say him and be absolutely serious, too. His live work is just utterly and totally flawless. Pristine. He's not my favourite singer, but his show was astounding. I've been thoroughly surprised by who is actually an unbelievable performer. It's a funny thing to remove bias from it and see that, yes, Phil Collins is the fucking shit! Paul McCartney - not the biggest fan (didn't think I was a fan, to be honest) but man can he put on a show... Metallica, love their studio work. But in concert? Not so much. They just weren't as good as I reckon they could or should have been. Criticism spread over a few things there, from setlist to technical failings.

But no, best in show? Michael Jackson. Hands down. I'm serious. He's a freaky, freaky man.

The Bad days, that was an amazing, amazing show. And then he completely lost the plot.

There are so many variables, I don't know how I could ever pick a greatest live act ever :hmm:

Since the original topic was best ever, I didn't mention, however, one of the best live shows I've seen was AFI. I know they're not popular in these parts, but Davey Havoc is one hell of a front man.

I just picked the best I've seen, and tried to be all clinical about it - not my favourite who was the best. I don't follow directions!
:D

But no, best in show? Michael Jackson. Hands down. I'm serious. He's a freaky, freaky man.

:lol: He's certainly that. If was beamed back to 1984, a chance to see him would induce a serious case of spontaneous combustion.

Oh, to time travel. Wouldn't it be great? I think I'd be content to spend the rest of my days going from dimension to dimension, venue to venue...wherever the legends are performing.

Of the acts I have seen, Springsteen is definitely tops. Better than Pearl Jam, better than U2, just better than pretty much everyone, I'm guessing. I went to one of his shows in 1992 as a casual fan, and more of an observer, as I tagged along with my dad. Bruce was utterly electrifying, right from the first "Hello, Toronto!" in his microphone. He just commands attention, whether you want to give him some, or not. There's something magical about his energy, and I have a feeling that as revered as he is now, that'll be magnified ten-fold when he's gone.

I missed Radiohead last summer, thanks to a freak illness in my dog...I'm setting the dials to them for next time.

Bob Dylan was amazingly compelling...in a weird and strange way. He rocked out on occasion, but didn't 'blow anyone away,' ala Pearl Jam. His greatness is in his subtleness, and in the way he can move you with a feeling and emotion that seem oddly familiar. I really had the sense that I'd seen him before.

Ever?

tap.jpg

Spinal Tap.

Of all the acts I've seen, Muse were the only band/artist whose show made me run to buy an overpriced T-shirt at the merchandise stall after the concert just so that I could have a memento of the sheer awesomeness I've just witnessed. I suppose that would be my ultimate yardstick for all concerts past and future, :)

In terms of Greatest Ever U2 would definitely up there, though I don't really know the older bands all that well to judge.

U2 and Zeppelin without a doubt in the "ever" category. AC/DC, the Stones and Rush are up there. (Yes, Rush...when I arrived at their 30th anniversary concert I was a lukewarm fan... but I left a huge fan)

When the boys are in a relatively good mood, Oasis is an amazing live act and one of the best at their game.

for all we know, the greatest act live could be happening roght now ina small club around the corner... so that shouldn't count

I'm going for Queen

Happy Mondays were meant to be mind blowing back in their hey day.

I personally fnd it difficult to imagine anyone topping a U2 gig.

Interpol blew my mind when I saw them.

On a good/great night, no one touches U2 or Zeppelin. Problem is both are so damn inconsistent.

Queen were consistently good.

Never saw Who, Stones or Floyd so can't comment

While I absolutely agree that U2 and Bruce Springsteen are two of the greatest live acts ever, I would have to toss Madonna's name into that category as well. The sheer artistic spectacle that was the Drowned World Tour 2001 is pretty difficult to surpass.

However, I must say that her current Sticky & Sweet Tour is abysmal for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom