Who all plays guitar here?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicBono

ONE love, blood, life
I thought it'd be cool to have a general guitar discussion thread (if one ever existed I never saw it), since I know there are a number of guitarists here. Talk about your guitars, gear, guitar heroes, your music, techniques, anything guitar related...

Anyone here play Ibanez? I've got a Gibson Explorer but I'm looking to get another guitar, partially to have something more portable, and also because I want to see if I can get some different tones. Also I like getting new guitars :D I play progressive metal along the lines of Tool and Thrice with my friend, and from what I understand Ibanez are good for metal, and I like the look of 'em. I tried a couple at Guitar Center today, but I need to try some more. I'm looking for something with a fixed bridge around the $200-$600 range. I've been looking at the RG2EX1 and the RGR421EXFM. does anyone know about these guitars?

what do you all play?

Explorer. Sweet. :up:

I play. But I don't really have the money right now to go out and buy a nice, new guitar.

The one I do have, though, I love to death. She's seriously my baby. If I may, I will tell her story. My mom bought this guitar in Barcelona in 1977, it's a Yamaha G-225, a classical acoustic. Beautifully crafted, cool ass Spanish embroidery type stuff all over the place. My mom barely played it in college, so the thing was sitting around, never touched, in its case for something like 25 years until I finally picked it up about 4 years ago. And it's all mine now. And it sounds marvelous. For real. I've strummed on a bunch of acoustics in my day and it's easily my favorite. Unfortunately, where it used to be in mint condition, it now has little nicks and scrapes all over it because I bang it into stuff all the time. But I guess that adds some character to it, right?

I'm ramblin' at this point so short answer...I play. And I'm decent. I'm not on the guitar playin level of someone like Lil Wayne, but I can play you a tune or two. ;)

I play. But I don't really have the money right now to go out and buy a nice, new guitar.

yeah I have no money either but my birthday is in a month :wink: I have no idea if I'll actually get a guitar, but it's this notion that came to me the other day. All I have to do is convince my dad it's the best idea ever.

classical acoustic, nice :up: guitars with character ftw :D

i have an Art&Lutherie acoustic. I've been trying to play it more... playing acoustic builds finger strength and improves accuracy and speed on the electric, I've found.

I... used to. Got a nice looking Flying V for my 17th birthday and I just, I don't know, lost interest around that point, funnily. I really wish I got back into the groove of things, but I haven't, which really annoys me. But I played for a good six or so years and still get it out every now and again, I'm just not in practice. I think the fact that I never really had anyone to consistently play with is a big part of it. Another thing is the fact that it got to a point where I just wanted to shoegaze, and that would mean forking out thirty billion dollars of pedals when I could make the same sound by strangling a bunch of owls.

i play bass. nothing, just a fender j with a cheapo ibanez practice amp. i'd love to get a new one (i love new guitars too) but i can't justify it since i don't play it all that much. the problem is, i know i'd play a lot more if i were in a band, but, i'd rather sing in a band. i'm trying to sing and play at the same time lately. it's a challenge, but it would be awesome if i can master it.

I started out playing guitar, got a mex Fender strat with a Vox AD30VT. Then I discovered the lovely four stringed babies, and now I play mainly bass on my Squier Precision with Fender Rumble amp.
If I had more money I would get a real Fender, preferrably the one Adam played for most ZooTv songs, sorta sunburst-y colour with tortoise plate. :drool:

I play a little myself. I've been playing for 15 years now (holy shit) but am not nearly as good as someone whose been playing for 15 years should be. I've got Three guitars. A Washburn 6 string acoustic, Yamaha 12 string acoustic, and an Epiphone Supernova electric. I've got a horrible memory for chord progressions though, so I'm always forgetting how to play stuff when I'm not around the computer.

Anyone ever mess around with Garage Band or any other recording software? Last summer when I first got my Mac I was huge into it. I think i recorded 5 or 6 songs (through the air, so the quality isnt the greatest). I love playing around with different tracks and stuff. Good times. I should get back to that some time

- Fender Stratocaster. Mexican make. It's that orange sunburst that fades to black with a white pickguard, I think Edge has the same color.

- Ibanez AEG10 Acoustic-Electric. Blue sunburst fading to black, with a black pickguard.

I also have an Ibanez amp which is of a pretty low quality. I'm in no way a performer (yet), so I haven't bothered looking into better equipment.

I have played performances here and there. With my acoustic, I have played live shows as an individual, and then with my Strat I played with a band one time. I'm a singer, songwriter, and guitarist, so I'm trying to get to play live as much as I can.

I'm also incredibly indie-minded, so my electric is patched up with logos and sayings on the pickguard because I'm indie like that.

I've been playing for two and a half years, I've taught myself everything.

There's a performance of me playing U2 on YouTube somewhere.

Cherry burst Epiphone Les Paul and a Martin DXME with a 30 watt Vox amp.

I'm playing an RG370 through Boss.

Nice! How do you like it? It's sure an awesome looking guitar.

the problem is, i know i'd play a lot more if i were in a band, but, i'd rather sing in a band. i'm trying to sing and play at the same time lately. it's a challenge, but it would be awesome if i can master it.

yeah, I can't do that at all. I have a decent voice, but not great, and the guy I play with sings (and does death metal vocals too, lol) so I don't really need to try. Good luck though!

I have played performances here and there. With my acoustic, I have played live shows as an individual, and then with my Strat I played with a band one time. I'm a singer, songwriter, and guitarist, so I'm trying to get to play live as much as I can.

I'm also incredibly indie-minded, so my electric is patched up with logos and sayings on the pickguard because I'm indie like that.

I've been playing for two and a half years, I've taught myself everything.

:up: I haven't played any shows as an individual. I had a band freshman year of college (with a Korean singer...he didn't know English very well. therefore his lyrcis were...interesting. He was adorable and very enthusiastic) and we played a gig at a church open mic night ... we were a little out of place. We went after someone who did an a cappella version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow :lmao:

Jive Turkey - yep I've used garageband, although I usually record on my Boss BR-1180 Digital Recording Studio.

I do :wave:
Got a Les Paul, and replicas of: Fender Strat, Gibson Explorer and Rickenbacker 6 string.
Also have a Line 6 Spider II amp and Boss Gt-8 effects processor.

I've been more focused on bass/vocals lately. I usually play an epiphone LP100. Lefty guitars aren't easy to come by.

Awesome. Hope this thread catches on: I love a good guitar discussion now and again.

I've been playing guitar for 8 years. Learned at the age of 10 on what was essentially a toy. We're talking a junior guitar with nylon strings here. I ended up giving it away, but I learned basic chord shapes on it, so that was good enough for me. From there, I picked up a proper acoustic. I still love that damn guitar, it has a great sound, and I bought it for a fraction of the price because the back of the guitar was punctured in shipping.

My major influences are Mick Ronson, Neil Young, and Jeff Tweedy. I play a lot of classic rock style riffs and cross that with more abstract, avant-garde soloing. Pete Townshend made a huge impact on my acoustic guitar style. Roger McGuinn of The Byrds is also a favorite of mine.

As for gear:

Peavey ???? (no clue what the model is) acoustic
50th Anniversary American Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG Special
Digitech RP50 guitar pedal
Boss DS-1 distortion pedal
Fender M-80 amp
Kustom ???? (no clue what the model is, I think it's 100 watt) amp

And I record with a Boss BR1600CD 16 track digital recorder.

And I record with a Boss BR1600CD 16 track digital recorder.

16 track! fancy. mine is only 8.

awesome that you learned at age 10. wish I had learned that early... that's about when my cousin learned and now he goes around playing Eruption by Van Halen and Dream Theater songs. he blows me away and he's only in high school.

I've heard some of your stuff. you're good :up:

I have a Fender FM212R amp, 100 watts. and I have a Boss ME-20 effects pedal

my main influences are The Edge (for pretty, simple leads on the high strings), Tom Morello (for badass riffs), Thomas Erak (from The Fall of Troy - for general craziness and fast hammer-ons/pull-offs), and Dave Knudson (from Minus the Bear/Botch - for tapping, something I'm just getting into). The guy I play with listens to a lot of Tool, Opeth, and Porcupine Tree, so that plays a part in my music as well.

The only thing that really makes me unique is that I have no family history of music at all. No one plays any instruments, no one has any interest, my father doesn't even listen to music at all. None of my siblings play an instrument, none of my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, none of them. I have over 30 cousins, and I'm the only one who plays an instrument.

I've played guitar for eight years now, started because a girl I had a crush on at summer camp told me she liked guys that could play guitars :lol: I learned ISHFWILF and Pride by the end of camp.

I have an acoustic that I haven't taken out of the case in about two years, it's a Seagull. Pretty decent as far as mid-level acoustic guitars go, but I play lead guitar parts almost exclusively and I don't sing at all, so I never have reason to play it, really.

My electric is my baby - an Epiphone Les Paul, red/yellow sunburst just like I always wanted. I just got it last summer. The guitar I learned on was a Peavey Raptor (super cheapo Strat copy) that I got for Christmas 2001. It was black with a white pickguard, exactly like the one Edge uses for Streets on the Elevation Boston DVD. My roommate last summer left it too close to an open window though, and it got stolen while I was at work. My other roommate saw the guy, and I'm 95% sure it's someone who until then was a good friend of mine :sad: But it gave me a good excuse to go out and buy a new, much better one.

I've only been in a band once, in high school. We lasted for two practice sessions, and most of that time was spent figuring out a band name and logo instead of playing (we were "Internally Outward" :lmao: ), but we had to break up when our drummer's mom didn't want us making so much noise in her basement.

Other than that I've only performed in front of a group of people twice, once in a talent show in high school (playing random chords behind a friend of mine while he did some crazy acrobatic shit on stage), and once at an open mic at the campus pub cause I was drunk and trying to impress a girl. I played City of Lakes by Matt Mays, Smile Like You Mean It by The Killers, and Lucky Man by The Verve. It didn't work. :hmm:

Mostly when I play I usually just put iTunes on shuffle and play along with whatever songs happen to come on, figuring out the key, then the parts the actual guitarist in the band is playing, then making up my own part to go along with the second half or the solo. It's a good challenge, I think, and I've become a LOT better in the past year just doing that, really.

by the way, i highly suggest the Line 6 Toneport. you can just plug your guitar right into the computer. yes!

I have a wonderful 1948 Martin 000-18 that I used to play. It kind of sits in the hallway in its case collecting dust most of the time now. :(

Yeah, I have a few guitars that make their way out of my closet about once a year. I play my friends' guitars more than I play my own. :huh:

I have a guitar but it's in bits and only has three strings right now, over the last year the only guitar I've played is a small acoustic one my younger sister has and some of my friend's guitars when we are recording songs. We recorded an album on audacity and were pretty impressed with how it turned out, the music turned out a lot more experimental than we originally planned with little straight forward riff driven rock at all. I also learnt some keyboards too because my friend can show me up completely on guitar. Hopefully I'll be getting a new guitar soon (or one of my friend's old ones that he doesn't have room for anymore) than hopefully a decent effects pedal so I can start practising more before we go back to recording another album :lol:

nice! girls playing guitar ftw. I feel like B&C is the best place for a guitar thread though, so everyone who plays can find it :)

Mostly when I play I usually just put iTunes on shuffle and play along with whatever songs happen to come on, figuring out the key, then the parts the actual guitarist in the band is playing, then making up my own part to go along with the second half or the solo. It's a good challenge, I think, and I've become a LOT better in the past year just doing that, really.

that is absolutely a good idea. learning songs can help you learn techniques you wouldn't have known otherwise, and improvising to a song is obviously gonna help you solo

I have a guitar but it's in bits and only has three strings right now

you need to fix that, most guitars have six strings you know :wink:

I'm going with my guitarist friend tomorrow to check out guitars at pawn shops. Maybe I'll find something awesome!

most guitars have six strings you know :wink:

18sg.jpg

Imagine what a bitch that would be to tune :huh:

I'm going with my guitarist friend tomorrow to check out guitars at pawn shops. Maybe I'll find something awesome!

Yeah, maybe you'll find my guitar :grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom