Whitney Houston Dead: Singer Dies At 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same except I don't drink quite as much. The point is, the Doctor says don't do it, the pharmacist says don't do it, and they went to school for far longer and for much different a field as I, I'm not going to fuck around with what they say.
exactly. this goes for anything, not just meds, but i don't get why some will take doctor's orders with a grain of salt. "keep my foot elevated? pfft! shows what he knows!" but then when they don't feel better, they complain about their useless doctor. i've known people who mix pills and booze and it isn't pretty. and to be honest, it's stuff like all this and just getting older in general that's completely turned me off drinking. i can't remember when i last had any alcohol.

Ok, but to be fair, there are contradictory studies for every day of the week. I'm currently loving the "to ice or not to ice" debate. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is that "drinking heavily on prescription meds" is night and day different from having a glass of wine or beer at dinner after having taken some sort of medication earlier in the day and frankly, yes, complete and absolute abstinence in most people's cases is probably a bit of an overreaction (and saying that completely assuming a somewhat rational adult who can stop themselves after one or two, not a raging alcholic). Sadly, however, Whitney probably falls into the first (heavy drinking while taking multiple meds) category.

Bottom line is that "drinking heavily on prescription meds" is night and day different from having a glass of wine or beer at dinner after having taken some sort of medication earlier in the day and frankly, yes, complete and absolute abstinence in most people's cases is probably a bit of an overreaction (and saying that completely assuming a somewhat rational adult who can stop themselves after one or two, not a raging alcholic). Sadly, however, Whitney probably falls into the first (heavy drinking while taking multiple meds) category.

I don't think it's an overreaction to abstain from alcohol if you've taken prescription meds. Why chance it? Like others have said: Better to be safe than sorry. It could be your life if something goes wrong.

I hadn't visited this thread in a couple days.

Looking over that list of medications; ibuprofen, midol, and amoxicillin have no sedative properties and are essentially irrelevant. Midol contains acetaminophen (Tylenol) and you could ingest enough to kill yourself via liver failure, but that would be a drawn-out and painful process. It's not really a mood-altering substance so there would be no reason to overdose on it unless you were trying to kill yourself.

Xanax and alcohol, on the other hand, is a potentially lethal combination. Xanax suppresses your respiratory drive and alcohol can potentiate that effect. You could pretty easily ingest enough Xanax to stop breathing, and you might even take a dose that you could typically handle but too much booze would make it lethal. Either way, probably more Xanax than a typical prescription dose.

Just my 2 cents.

Ok, but to be fair, there are contradictory studies for every day of the week. I'm currently loving the "to ice or not to ice" debate. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WjsEJtPuw

MrPryck2U said:
I don't think it's an overreaction to abstain from alcohol if you've taken prescription meds. Why chance it? Like others have said: Better to be safe than sorry. It could be your life if something goes wrong.

So what's your theory today, then? That her "choices" to take her daily dose of Xanax, combined with that Heiney she had for lunch, killed her? Maybe it was the addition of the Turkey sandwich. I mean, combined with a Burger...

Ashley, the simple fact is I don't really give a shit what you do. As I've stated in at least a few ways, I'm hardly giving medical advice here :lol:

But you are. You're sitting here insisting that drinking with medication is no big deal.

But you are. You're sitting here insisting that drinking with medication is no big deal.

You could look at it this way: anyone stupid enough to take the opinion of some guy on an internet message board as sound medical advice deserves to be removed from the gene pool. ;)

No, I'm not. I'm saying that the meds they found in the room are very commonplace, and given that it was reported that she had a beer with her lunch and probably some champagne the night before, it's very common to be on a medication and still have a beer with your meal, and not die in a fucking bathtub. Which opinion leads back to my overall opinion that I think the media and their law enforcement sources lapdogs are being utter sensationalist morons in this case.

/story

anyone stupid enough to take the opinion of some guy on an internet message board as sound medical advice deserves to be removed from the gene pool. ;)

tumblr_ltrfk8ZWvE1r3s1g4o1_500.gif

It's not just alcohol, it's combining the meds. If that's even what happened in her case. Highly doubtful that any reputable doctor would give her all of those meds simultaneously. It would have been multiple doctor shopping/illegally obtained, or another Dr. Murray.

Highly doubtful that any reputable doctor would give her all of those meds simultaneously. It would have been multiple doctor shopping/illegally obtained, or another Dr. Murray.

Ok well this is precisely the type of speculation I was railing about. You could easily get a reputable doctor to prescribe Xanax Amoxicillan and Midol at the same time, Ibuprofren is OTC, and Xanax is often recommended in conjunction with Advil/Ibuprofren.

I'm not speculating, so no need to dissect every word of my post or to beat this into the ground. I said IF. I haven't heard anything about Midol or any of those others. Midol is OTC, not prescribed.

I'm talking about Valium, Xanax, and the other rumored drugs. I don't know what happened and neither does anyone here, so at this point it's all speculation. Just like much of this entire forum is, idle chatter signifying nothing- or what would there be to talk about?

I'm not speculating, so no need to dissect every word of my post or to beat this into the ground. I said IF. I haven't heard anything about Midol or any of those others. Midol is OTC, not prescribed.

I'm talking about Valium, Xanax, and the other rumored drugs.

Xanax, Midol, Ibuprofren and Amoxicillan. Those are the four that have been named, and they aren't said to conflict with one another. I haven't heard anything else, but if you've a source, by all means share these other/rumored drugs.

My only "source" is the same as yours and everyone else's. Media rumors. I've seen those mentioned on CNN, the ones I mentioned. I haven't been following all the rumors, it depresses me too much and I've got my own life to deal with. I wasn't in the hotel room and neither was the media. And I find all the media sensationalism to be gross. I just find it sad that she seemingly couldn't conquer whatever her addictions may have been. If that had to do with her death. One could speculate that it may have.

You can OD on any OTC drug, that's why they all have warning labels. Again, NOT SAYING that's what happened to her because I have no earthly idea and I'm not a doctor. Just that it is possible for anyone to do.

I've lost track of what we are arguing about here.

If alcohol and Xanax were found in her room, she could have taken a lethal dose. It's conceivable that she took more Xanax than was prescribed, and alcohol could potentiate the lethal effects of the Xanax. Is that what happened? I have no idea.

There would be no reason to overdose on Midol or Ibuprofen unless you were trying to kill yourself, and there are much better ways of doing that. Xanax, for example. I can't recall ever hearing of anyone overdose on amoxicillin.

Is the media overstepping their bounds mentioning the Xanax and alcohol? Perhaps. I think the other medications are basically irrelevant unless this was a suicide, so even bringing them up is pretty sensationalistic.

Back
Top Bottom