Whitney Houston Dead: Singer Dies At 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeannieco said:
FYI, found this ... Edge may be at the Grammy Awards tonight:

Matthew Bell: The IoS Diary (12/02/12) - Commentators - Opinion - The Independent

Quote:
also on British Airways Flight 269 on Thursday was U2 guitarist The Edge, heading to LA for today's Grammy Awards. My man sipping a Bloody Mary tells me that while Owen was in premium economy, The Edge sat 10 metres ahead in business class (though not first). Both wore regulatory celeb-wear: Ricky in dark glasses, and The Edge a baseball cap, which remained fastened to his scalp throughout the 11-hour flight (though he was asked to remove it at passport control). And did the two meet? "They bumped into each other in the loo," yells my man down the line from the tarmac

I hope in this time of need for the Houston family that Bono is okay.

I was never a huge fan (too many ballads) . . .

This is where I'm coming from too. She didn't sing in a genre of music that I like, but there are a couple songs of hers that I do like. And the remix of 'It's Not Right, But It's Ok' was played at EVERY gay club for soooooooooooo many years when I was a young one, starting out in the clubs. I very clearly remember that song being played every time I went to this one club, and everyone in the place loved it. It was almost a zeitgest song for the gays.

It is also extremely sad when addiction overruns any human life. To know that she was in so much emotional pain and physical addiction . . . that's sad no matter who it is.

Cori, I will say that I do absolutely love this ballad of hers (one of the very few): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrTuV4Szxzo

And, of course, the gay classic that I will always love and have the fondest memories of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NenUYZNQ_Wg

"Waiting To Exhale" is by no means a good movie, nor is Whitney anything better than not embarrassing in it, but its one of those movies i watch anytime it is on.

love how it looks, love the pre-SATC vibe, love how all these men do done them wrong, and LOVE watching Angela Bassett tear down the house and set everything on fire. it may be a gay thing, but i dig it. (and the desert scenery).

and that "Shoop" song was pretty good.

for me, the big gay Whitney song is "Wanna Dance With Someone" -- it's always part of some super-80s diva flashback, and it's loads of fun.

Irvine511 said:
for me, the big gay Whitney song is "Wanna Dance With Someone" -- it's always part of some super-80s diva flashback, and it's loads of fun.

I was at one of my really good friend's birthday today and he had his party at a drag queen brunch/show. This was the Whitney song one of the queens chose to perform. It was a lot of fun. The brunch was packed and, especially for this number, everyone was all-out singing along.

a friend of mine used to roller skate to it in his basement as a kid. i do wonder about this connection between gay men and divas. no idea where it comes from, but it's very much there for a lot of us.

one of the big DC clubs threw an impromptu Whitney-rama tribute dance thing last minute last night. we'd been out to dinner and were full and tired so we didn't go, but i kind of wished i had.

The bar that has the Sunday drag queen brunch we went to also has beer bust Sundays in the afternoon and then a more traditional club at night. If I didn't have to finish up some work, I would've stayed after the drag show. I'm sure A LOT of Whitney was played there today.

My go-to Whitney ballad is One Moment in Time. (I've sung it at karaoke ... badly.)

I did like Waiting to Exhale, but have managed to lived this long without seeing The Bodyguard. I guess it's time.

whaaaaat! i remember the first time i saw it. it'd just come out on video. i think it was the first, or one of the first times my parents let me stay home alone. i set up the living room like a little movie theatre and watched the movie and felt like such a grown up. good lord i was a loser.

a friend of mine used to roller skate to it in his basement as a kid. i do wonder about this connection between gay men and divas. no idea where it comes from, but it's very much there for a lot of us.

one of the big DC clubs threw an impromptu Whitney-rama tribute dance thing last minute last night. we'd been out to dinner and were full and tired so we didn't go, but i kind of wished i had.
My cousin LOVED Amy Winehouse.

What year did it come out? Early 90s, right? I was in college, not seeing a ton of movies in the theater. Probably got so sick of the songs that I had no desire to see it. Plus, Kevin Costner had a stupid hair cut and I heard it was awful.

Over the last bunch of years, I've occasionally thought about seeing it for the lulz, but just never got around to it.

whaaaaat! i remember the first time i saw it. it'd just come out on video. i think it was the first, or one of the first times my parents let me stay home alone. i set up the living room like a little movie theatre and watched the movie and felt like such a grown up. good lord i was a loser.

:up:

I've never seen 'The Bodyguard', either, Cori. I was, what, 8 when it came out?

For those blaming Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston was a grown woman and made all her own choices. There is no one to blame but her

Sad but true. I think Bobby Brown's always come off as a jerk and certainly didn't help matters at all, but yeah, I do have to agree with this.

The biggest pricks a can think of are the people who laughed when her death was announced at an event I was attending, the guy who said at least we still have bobby and the guy sitting by me now at dinner who said good when someone told him.

Why am I surrounded by such assholes tonight?

:hug: Gotta love people's total lack of sensitivity.

My favorite Whitney Houston song. :)

I loved that song when I was a kid. I think part of it was the video-so many bright colors and she was dancing around all happy and such, for little kids that's enough entertainment right there :D. I remember coming across a cover of it by David Byrne on You Tube a while back, I rather liked his take on it.

I'm not going to lie, when Jennifer Hudson sang "I Will Always Love You" tonight at the Grammys, I got choked up. It's a sad enough song to begin with, so in this context...yeah.

Great song, though. Loved Whitney's version of it.

My friend told me about this news last night. Definitely surprised me, so incredibly sad. I said this in another thread, that even if you kinda know this is a possibility for an artist, it's still one of those things that you can't imagine actually happening, that you hope they get their help and can rebound, 'cause hey, other stars have come back from that sort of crap. I felt the same way about Amy Winehouse, too.

Add in the fact that 48 is far too young to go, and that her daughter is without a mother now, and it's all the more upsetting. People's deaths shouldn't have to have this sort of stuff hovering over it.

It's just so surreal. Rest in peace, Whitney.

I said this in another thread, that even if you kinda know this is a possibility for an artist, it's still one of those things that you can't imagine actually happening, that you hope they get their help and can rebound, 'cause hey, other stars have come back from that sort of crap . . .

Add in the fact that 48 is far too young to go, and that her daughter is without a mother now, and it's all the more upsetting. People's deaths shouldn't have to have this sort of stuff hovering over it.

Exactly.

was listening to some of her songs last night - really took me back! So Emotional, How Will I Know, Saving All My Love - those were real faves at certain points in my life... great pop songs... :heart:

how sad indeed. I mean, I knew she was on drugs heavily with Bobbi, and while I was never really into her, she did have one of the best voices around. Amazing.

and to think it was days ago, saw a pic of her and her daughter and someone else, and they all looked happy, and now its over.

:(

RIP

think one of my favs if I have to choose is:
One Moment in Time

One of the stations is playing The Bodyguard tonight. I saw the first 5 or so minutes, didn't realise Gary Kemp was in it! No, I still couldn't watch it, only so much Costner one can take in a lifetime...

As much as it is sad, I'm not surprised or shocked that Whitney has died. I don't think it would be accurate or fair to blame Bobby Brown. She was no innocent before she met him twentysomething years ago. Plus, they've been divorced for almost 5 years.

She had a once-in-a-lifetime voice and if you were alive during her prime run from 1985-1993, then you were perhaps fortunate enough to be a witness to it.

The day after she passed away, VH-1 Soul was playing her videos in chronological order. Even though its a corny song, I get choked up from Greatest Love of All.

Back
Top Bottom