Whitney Houston Dead: Singer Dies At 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
really really sad news... i loved her music when i was growing up... tragic waste of a life... terrible for her family...

I recoil a bit at the "best singer ever" sentiment She had a great voice and a lot of talent, but there's no way in hell she had the depth of Billie Holiday or Judy Garland, to name two others that are often spoken of in the same terms. And I'd probably put Streisand above her as well.

Hell, there are many people that prefer Mariah Carey, though I never had a dog in that hunt. Neither really released a lot of great tracks IMO.

What the fuck. :sad: What a great artist, who had one of the best voices ever. RIP Whitney Houston.

I'm pretty sure they will pay tribute to her at the Grammys tonight. Wow. Very sad.

Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse are gone. Bobby Brown and Pete Doherty are still here. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

To those damning Bobby Brown for still being alive, is there actual proof that he is fully responsible for the drug issues that Whitney had?

To those damning Bobby Brown for still being alive, is there actual proof that he is fully responsible for the drug issues that Whitney had?
i don't know if she ever said he was responsible, but she did say the two of them did do drugs together. purely speculation, but if he didn't get the ball rolling, he at least kept it rolling and got her into harder stuff. for all we know, she could've smoked pot all throughout the 80s - well before she even knew him. plus if he was doing drugs too, it'd be hard to fight the temptation to not join in too, even if you're trying to stop.

Thanks Khanada.

So to imply that he should be dead instead of Whitney would be a pretty dumb thing to say.

Yes it is a dumb thing to say

From what I understood it was said that while Bobby liked the weed, it was actually Whitney who got him into coke. She had dabbled with that long before they got together. Of course, his abusive ways likely didn't help any attempts she may have made to stay clean.

Anyways am absolutely devastated by this news. So sad. I wish she had followed a different path. Truly one of the greatest voices ever known to us and the songs themselves are immortal classics. Fell in love to songs like Saving All My Love and You Give Good Love.

^ Bono also gave her a big shout out at the end of their performance of "Get On Your Boots" at the Grammys in 2009.

I don't remember exactly but he said something like "Can we get Whitney Houston performing in here?" or something like that. Sorry if this has already been discussed. But, yeah.

Very sad. Her voice was beautiful and so was she.

I bought her Super Bowl anthem CD back in 1991 because I thought it was so great, still have the CD.

RIP Whitney

awful details are starting to come out.

sounds like she drowned in the bathtub and was on xanax and alcohol.

what awful shit. :sigh:

For those blaming Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston was a grown woman and made all her own choices. There is no one to blame but her

What a great voice she had. And 48 is far too young.

I found out the news while I was having dinner with about 15 people and nobody was surprised (though they all did, apparently mistakenly assume it was an overdose).

With respect to Bobby - not sure that there is a "culprit" here as far as their joint addiction goes. I do think that sometimes, certain people tend to bring out the worst in each other in some respects and they pretty obviously weren't having a healthy relationship.

And the speculation begins. I guess it's natural to jump to conclusions, I had to stop myself from going there.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Trying to just remember the good stuff during the early years. The amazing gift she had, the way we could see in to her soul and get a glimpse of God when she hits those high notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23FDkH6u4kI

All at once,
I finally took a moment and I'm realizing that
You're not coming back
And it finally hit me all at once
All at once,
I started counting teardrops and at least a million fell
My eyes began to swell,...

For anyone interested, the Jamaican radio station I listen to Fame FM is playing what looks to be a long tribute to Whitney, you can listen online here: Streema Radio Tuner

I was never a huge fan (too many ballads), but she has a lot of songs that I still like quite a bit (not the ballads), and always respected that voice. I should see what best of collections or out there ... or wait for the inevitable new one that will be coming out soon.

Edit: Ah, this one looks perfect. I wanted a CD with One Moment in Time and the anthem.

http://www.amazon.com/Whitney-Houst...R84V/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329072019&sr=8-4

bobbiwhit1.jpg

This is not surprising.
I would expect her to be traumatized and in some kind of shock. She needs to be around her family, grandmother and others that can make her feel safe and not abandoned.
It will take some time for her to be ok, again.

heartbreaking... i hope her daughter will get thru it all ok...

FYI, found this ... Edge may be at the Grammy Awards tonight:

Matthew Bell: The IoS Diary (12/02/12) - Commentators - Opinion - The Independent

Quote:
also on British Airways Flight 269 on Thursday was U2 guitarist The Edge, heading to LA for today's Grammy Awards. My man sipping a Bloody Mary tells me that while Owen was in premium economy, The Edge sat 10 metres ahead in business class (though not first). Both wore regulatory celeb-wear: Ricky in dark glasses, and The Edge a baseball cap, which remained fastened to his scalp throughout the 11-hour flight (though he was asked to remove it at passport control). And did the two meet? "They bumped into each other in the loo," yells my man down the line from the tarmac

the Grammys will have a pretty big ratings bump tonight

Etta James was going to be the most missed person, how do we quantify loss?

Back
Top Bottom