Whitney Houston Dead: Singer Dies At 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those blaming Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston was a grown woman and made all her own choices. There is no one to blame but her

Was it also her choice to get the shit kicked out of her by Mr. Brown?

I'm sorry but IMO that marriage was the start of her downhill slide. If a person is weak and has an addictive personality (like she might have had), you do everything to try and help - not take advantage of this personality.

I TOTALLY blame him for ruining her career and ultimately causing her untimely death.

I'm sorry but IMO that marriage was the start of her downhill slide. If a person is weak and has an addictive personality (like she might have had), you do everything to try and help - not take advantage of this personality.

I TOTALLY blame him for ruining her career and ultimately causing her untimely death.

To answer your question, yes, it was her choice to get the shit kicked out of her. Plus, odds are pretty good that she hit Bobby too. I agree her marriage to him was the start of her decline, but she was responsible for it too. Blaming him is foolish. She was a Mega Diva and way more famous than Bobby ever was or ever will be. She could have bought and sold Bobby for all she cared. But, she didn't because she loved him. They were together for over 15 years. She ultimately had the power in their relationship.

Why the wow? When Sean Penn started hitting Madonna, she left him. End of story. Whitney could have done the same exact thing when Bobby first started hitting her. By sticking around, she accepted the abuse as part of the package. It took her 14 years to finally leave him.

It was 2.48 am (GMT) that I heard about Whitney Houstan's death. Only the BBC news were reporting it at the time because they were the first.

She was a huge talent. :sad::sad: Drink & drugs caught with her, Amy Winehouse and Michael Jackson. I was only thinking of her the day before when one of her song came on the radio. I was putting her into a category and I was trying to think how I Will Always Love You started. Her aunt Dionne Warrick was on the Jonathan Ross show the night before and we had a discussion about her.

Right. What Edge going to the Grammys has to do in a Whitney Houston memorial thread is beyond me. But I guess U2 is never far from the minds of some people.

Anyway, I'm sad for the Houston family. Always sad when a mother dies before seeing what their children become.

Why the wow? When Sean Penn started hitting Madonna, she left him. End of story. Whitney could have done the same exact thing when Bobby first started hitting her. By sticking around, she accepted the abuse as part of the package. It took her 14 years to finally leave him.

Well you could argue that it was her choice to stick around, but that isn't really what you said. It was not her choice to get hit the first time around, and I doubt you or I know the real details of how things happened. The difference between Madonna and Whitney is that there were children involved.

Well you could argue that it was her choice to stick around, but that isn't really what you said. It was not her choice to get hit the first time around, and I doubt you or I know the real details of how things happened. The difference between Madonna and Whitney is that there were children involved.

No, it was not her choice to get hit the first time around. But, once the violence started to occur on a regular basis, it was her choice to stay with him. It wasn't like he was getting help or seeking some sort of anger management. She could have left him sooner. Certainly Bobby Brown is no innocent here. He is certainly responsible for his actions and shouldn't have laid a hand on her in the first place. But, people are blaming him for her death and I don't believe that to be accurate. They've been divorced for 5 years. She had her comeback album in 2009. She had the opportunity to staighten out her life without him around.

No, it was not her choice to get hit the first time around. But, once the violence started to occur on a regular basis, it was her choice to stay with him. It wasn't like he was getting help or seeking some sort of anger management. She could have left him sooner. Certainly Bobby Brown is no innocent here. He is certainly responsible for his actions and shouldn't have laid a hand on her in the first place. But, people are blaming him for her death and I don't believe that to be accurate. They've been divorced for 5 years. She had her comeback album in 2009. She had the opportunity to staighten out her life without him around.

If it was that easy, millions of women would have been spared living through abusive relationships by leaving their partners after the first time they were hit.

I guess he stuck the crack pipe in her mouth too?
Nice of you to completely guess at her having an addictive personality though if it helps your argument.
She was a crackhead because she chose to start smoking crack. Completely her fault.

If it was that easy, millions of women would have been spared living through abusive relationships by leaving their partners after the first time they were hit.

We're not talking about millions of women. We're talking about Whitney Houston: Mega Superstar. Not enough hyperbole could be used to describe her standing in not only the music world, but the entertainment world. Her situation cannot be compared to your average woman. But, that's not really the focus of my point. My point is that people are holding him responsible for her death when I don't view that to be accurate. Don't use my stance on her acceptance of his violence to derail the issue of contention here. Which is that the man didn't cause her death. She did.

Besides, Bobby didn't beat her to death. It's irrelevant. We're talking about drug abuse

We're not talking about millions of women. We're talking about Whitney Houston: Mega Superstar. Not enough hyperbole could be used to describe her standing in not only the music world, but the entertainment world. Her situation cannot be compared to your average woman. But, that's not really the focus of my point. My point is that people are holding him responsible for her death when I don't view that to be accurate. Don't use my stance on her acceptance of his violence to derail the issue of contention here. Which is that the man didn't cause her death. She did.

I guess mega superstars are not human, then.

I don't see your point. And, for the record, I blame neither in this situation.

Anyway, I don't want to get into any prolonged debates here.

Gotta love this method of thinking.

So if Tina Turner suddenly commits suicide, are you going to TOTALLY blame Ike as well?

Besides, Bobby didn't beat her to death. It's irrelevant. We're talking about drug abuse

Right, but 5 years after their divorce, he was still able to use mental telepathy and mindfuck her into continuing to abuse drugs. Yes, I'm being sarcastic here, but that almost seems to be the prevailing thought. Which is foolish.

I guess mega superstars are not human, then.

I don't see your point. And, for the record, I blame neither in this situation.

Anyway, I don't want to get into any prolonged debates here.

Yes, that's apparent that you don't see my point. You were comparing Whitney Houston (who when she met Bobby Brown could have bought her own country) to an average woman. That's the mistake right there. Of course she's human, but she is far from the average one. To believe otherwise is mindboggling.

And for the record, I blame Whitney Houston for her own death because she abused drugs to the point that her body gave out and she died. My point was all along that Bobby Brown wasn't responsible.

Just quoting this because it's one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen on here in a while.

Ok, why is this ridiculous? If you're going to throw that adjective out there, back it up with a reason. I'm not asking for a longwinded essay. Perhaps a concise explanation that requires a sentence or two.

You seem to think that because she's a celebrity with loads of cash, that she is somehow immune to some of the limitations that humans have. The only difference between their relationship problems and those of millions of others is the fact that they're celebrities, have money, and were under the microscope. To put the blame on her for staying, to me, is ridiculous, because she is human after all.

Celebrities are people too, and the moment we realize that, that's when we'll see that their problems are just like ours.

Not sure if I'm making sense.

You seem to think that because she's a celebrity with loads of cash, that she is somehow immune to some of the limitations that humans have. The only difference between their relationship problems and those of millions of others is the fact that they're celebrities, have money, and were under the microscope. To put the blame on her for staying, to me, is ridiculous, because she is human after all.

Celebrities are people to, and the moment we realize that, that's when we'll see that their problems are just like ours.

Well, I actually do see your point. But, I suppose the unsaid point was that Whitney had the financial wherewithall and family/friend support staff to leave Bobby when the abuse in their relationship was in its infancy. Your average woman doesn't always have that to fall back on. Which was somewhat what I was alluding to.

Celebrities are people to, and the moment we realize that, that's when we'll see that their problems are just like ours.

It makes total sense. Well said. :up:

You can have all of the money in the world, but still not muster the strength to leave.

She was an amazing talent, and will be missed. I'm focusing on the fact that in all of this, a mother lost a daughter (their closeness was well known) and a daughter lost her mom (much too soon).

Just quoting this because it's one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen on here in a while.

how do you know, her vocal range was anything but normal

they haven't been able to complete the autopsy yet, they could find some interesting stuff in her DNA :shrug:

The Truth is Out There

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom