What's YOUR favorite song by Joy Division?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please pick your five favorite songs by Joy Division

• Total voters
You_Dont_Say

i'm so glad you asked,

About
“You Don’t Say?” is a rage comic face based on a contour drawing of Nicolas Cage that is that is used as a sarcastic response to an obvious observation or statement, in similar vein to “O RLY” image macros.
Origin
The phrase “you don’t say” is an idiomatic expression used to convey surprise or astonishment but it can be also used sarcastically in response to an obvious statement.[8] The image of Nicolas Cage was taken from a scene in the 1988 black comedy film Vampire’s Kiss, which revolves around a troubled literary agent’s descent into madness after convincing himself that he is turning into a vampire. His unique facial expression was taken from a particular scene in which Cage’s character Peter Loew torments his secretary in a disturbing manner.

The scene from Vampire Kiss was featured in a video titled “Nicholas Cage Freaking Out,” uploaded by YouTuber twoworldsfreak01 on July 27th, 2009. A still from the scene was also used as a reaction face in a in a demotivational image captioned with “Nicolas Cage / Available in Stoic and Batshit Crazy” uploaded to Roflrazzi[13] on August 15th, 2009. The contour drawing of Nicolas Cage first appeared in a rage comic uploaded to Reddit[1] by user LeechHax on October 1st, 2011. It had been vectorized by Redditor Aveilleux[10] for LeechHax to use specifically in his comic.

Spread
On the same day, LeechHax’s comic was reposted to FunnyJunk[9] where it received 4,211 up votes in the span of a month, and again posted onto image-sharing site Lowbird[5] on October 3rd, 2011. Another instance was submitted to the r/funny subreddit[3] on November 25th, 2011, with the vectorized face placed next to a bag of carrots that only listed “carrots” as its ingredient. The image reached the front page, accumulating over 4,000 up votes in 5 days.

On November 27th, 2011, a Facebook screenshot with the face was posted to the r/trees subreddit.[4] Additional derivatives can be found on FunnyJunk[7], Reddit[11] and with the tag “#you don’t say” on Tumblr.[6] A Facebook fan page[12] for the face has over 9000 likes as of March 2012.

Okay, I finally made my decision. Damn, what a band.

New Dawn Fades
She's Lost Control
Heart & Soul
Twenty-Four Hours
Dead Souls

Apart from a little outdated production, I feel like Dead Souls was way ahead of its time

What's the best way to get into the non-album JD tracks?

I only really know the two albums but Joy Division seems to be a band with many great tracks that never ended up on an album.

What's the best way to get into the non-album JD tracks?

I only really know the two albums but Joy Division seems to be a band with many great tracks that never ended up on an album.

The Heart and Soul box is THE way to go. It is one of the best box ever in the history of music. It has all studio JD and many live tracks. The first two discs contain their entire studio output, including the albums Unknown Pleasures and Closer, along with singles and compilation appearances. Discs three and four collect rare demos and live recordings, many of which were previously unreleased.

The Heart and Soul box is THE way to go. It is one of the best box ever in the history of music. It has all studio JD and many live tracks. The first two discs contain their entire studio output, including the albums Unknown Pleasures and Closer, along with singles and compilation appearances. Discs three and four collect rare demos and live recordings, many of which were previously unreleased.

This. It's pretty wicked

You're going to be doubling up a lot of things if you already have the albums. Substance is like $6 brand new on Amazon here, so I assume you can find it cheap in Europe as well.

I've only got Unknown Pleasures on CD.

The only thing that kind of annoys me is the fact there are other songs on the album discs. You have to skip to track 5 or something to start listening to Closer. Put those other songs on bonus discs godammit!

I do just fine with the two studio albums and Substance. From what I have heard, all the live stuff on the box and the deluxe reissues is less than stellar in terms of sound quality.

I couldn't disagree more. There is in fact an official recording of it with his vocals, unless by official you mean commercially pressed and released. Just because it never saw commercial release (correction: it was released on box sets) doesn't mean it wasn't their song, as Joy Division. The first version of the song ever recorded that is easily available isnt some fan mashup of a random Curtis vocal post-humously laid over a New Order instrumental take. Its Joy Division, written by Joy Division and performed by Joy Division. And I couldn't also disagree more with your idea that its more a New Order song than Joy Division song. It, and In A Lonely Place are unmistakably more Joy Division than New Order. They are basically covering a song that was already a Joy Division creation.

There are official recordings with his vocal, but they are obscured and quite hard to understand.

It's more of a New Order song to me because it is the way they chose to launch their career, and it's a beautiful moment.

Back
Top Bottom