What's in your collection that you need to listen to more? What will you do about it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
We all have these in our collections. Albums or artists we just havent listened to as much as we would like to. For whatever reasons, we just haven't gotten around to it (though we may want to).

This thread has 3 purposes:

1. To state what piece/pieces of music you have in your collection you really need to give more time and attention to.
2. To give you the kick in the pants to listen to said music. I want commitment, listen to them or punch yourself in the mouth.
3. To hear about what happens when you give your said artist/band the time you've been meaning to.

Lets hear it, what have you got? Represent, pansies.

damn you mofo! how dare you make me accountable!!! :scream:

for real, i have quite a few that i really should get to listening to:

spoon - gimme fiction
m83 - dead cities...
rilo kiley - more adventurous
and... (i think i'll get a punch in the mouth for this)
wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot AND a ghost is born :reject:

i think what i'll do is put these CD's in my car. it seems that that's the only time i'm able to give a CD a proper listen. i'll let you know mofo.

thanks for a much-needed kick in the pants :angry:

Radiohead - OK Computer.

I always get distracted before I finish the album...I just gave "Electioneering" a good listen for the first time (got the album for Christmas)... :drool:

Maybe I need to go sit on a hill, watch the football team practice and listen to it, or something.

Ok, I'm going to kick myself in the pants here:

Joy Division

I mainly want to listen to their 2 studio albums a whole lot more (until I'm really familiar with all the songs). I love them everytime I listen to them, but I could only actually identify a few different Joy Division songs at the moment.....

I've got heaps of albums in my collection that I bought ages ago and still haven't listened to properly.

Smiths - Meat is Murder
Bjork - Medulla
The Doves - Some Cities
Eric Clapton - The Best Of
Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

...among many.

I need to listen to all of it more. Any time I'm not listening to music or sleeping is wasted.

I bought Mellon Collie last week and haven't listened to it much. It's really fucking long though and I don't have the time yet.

I have an album by the John Doe Thing which I bought used that I haven't even listened to yet. I'll find a free weekend and do this.

Those are the two main ones, I suppose.

ok definitely listen to doves...i love them!

Saracene said:
I've got heaps of albums in my collection that I bought ages ago and still haven't listened to properly.

Smiths - Meat is Murder
Bjork - Medulla
The Doves - Some Cities
Eric Clapton - The Best Of
Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

...among many.

Interesting thread...and yes, I have my fair share of albums bought that I need to give more attention to:

*Fugazi--Repeater
*Carole King--Tapestry
*The Very Best of Otis Redding

Plus I have albums friends have burned for me that I need to listen to:

*Rilo Kiley
*Soledad Brothers
*Scissor Sisters

I also think I need to dig a bit deeper in my Revenge of the Nerds soundtrack.

:sexywink:

Both Interpol records
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Beck - Guero
Nick Drake - Way to Blue
Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain
Joseph Arthur - Redemption's Son
Death Cab - Something about airplanes
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West (I LOVE the other two I own and haven't given this much of a shot yet :( )

Probably need to rediscover both of my Sigur Ros records.

I've got my work cut out for me.

who you callin' a pansy, ya pansy??

:mad:

uh....i was actually thinking about this the other night when i was at work. i listened to hatebreed's the rise of brutality album cos i realized i've had a copy kicking around since it came out, and i've never listened to it.

i bought a couple cds by a punk band out of texas called born to lose, the cds arrived a few weeks ago and i still haven't listened to them. well, i did listen to half of one...but that hardly counts.

richard ashcroft - human conditions (listened to it once or twice a few months after obtaining a copy...haven't listened to it since)

radiohead - the bends (i listened to it once after i finally bought it... :shifty: )

sick of it all - just look around (i don't think i've actually listened to this all the way through, and i bought it sometime last summer :uhoh: )

kings of nuthin' - fight songs (i bought this sometime around novemeber i think, and i haven't listened to more than 4 or 5 songs on it yet)

part of this is due to the fact that i bought these when i bought other cds that i cared more about listening to, and these got side-lined. or i got spare copies from the radio station and it took me forever to get around to listening to them.

i should probably have just said i need to spend more time listening to anything that is not the ducky boys/sinners & saints/dirty water/blood for blood/bruce springsteen/confront/hudson falcons because that's pretty much 99% of what i've been listening to for a couple months now.

I bought The Arcade Fire after the much-ado but have only listened to it once. :reject:

mofo, you would definitely give me a kick in the pants about Interpol.

And I never really gave Tori's "Strange Little Girls" much TLC.

i punched myself in the mouth by accident earlier. does that count?

lesson learned: don't hardcore dance in socks on a slipperly floor that's littered with backpacks, clothes, boxes, books, and cd binders. not to say that this isn't the first time i've done something like this :shifty:

The recent Simon and Garfunkel thread reminded me that I haven't listened to them in ages. I'm doing something about that right now. (Currently listening to We've Got a Groovy Thing Going On).

I've also been neglecting David Bowie, Nick Cave and the Bads Seeds and Radiohead.

I guess this was the "goals" thread I was thinking of. Not quite the same, but I'm digging it up anyways.

3 years later, Joy Division is still probably on my list. There are a number of songs of theirs other than just the "big ones" I know quite well now, but I still wish I knew the albums themselves better.

Here are some new ones I need to listen to more:

Wolf Parade - 'At Mount Zoomer'
The Notwist - 'The Devil, You + Me'
No Age - 'Nouns'
The Hold Steady - 'Stay Positive'

I need to give more thorough listens to R.E.M. It's hard trying to distinguish the individual tracks on their first three albums, honestly.

Hmm, that makes me think that I should add Life's Rich Pageant to my list as well. For some reason I've never listened to it a lot. Back pre-internetz, I hated the fact that the track list was wrong on the back of the cd.

Hmm, that makes me think that I should add Life's Rich Pageant to my list as well. For some reason I've never listened to it a lot. Back pre-internetz, I hated the fact that the track list was wrong on the back of the cd.

Put it on now!!

I bought Bjork's Volta, went to the concert and everything, had a great time, love that woman, but have never given the record the time of day for some reason. I only know "Earth Intruders." :reject:

More recently, I listened to Fleet Foxes twice, absolutely loved it, and then inexplicably put it away.

As far as progress on my previously mentioned records, I did indeed get to know my Arcade Fire records intimately. Interpol I played enough not be ashamed of myself. Tori Amos' "Stange Little Girls" remains a stranger.

I think the problem is that I used to buy records and play them to death, and now I like creating playlists and listening to mixes. The internet and the ease of using iTunes has opened up so much more music to me, at the same time that it made getting to know a record backwards and forwards a bit harder, unless that record happened to be an instant obsession.

There are many CDs that I bought, listened to once and threw them on the iPod because I liked them, but haven't really spent a lot of time really listening to them.

Too many to list. But what will I do about it? Uh ... listen to them!

The U2 remasters
The post-Bealtes work (except Starkey)
The National
Led Zeppelin
The Cure

Well... 2.5 years later, I still have yet to listen to Meat is Murder (Smiths), Medulla (Bjork) and Best of Eric Clapton, :reject:

Plus another 30 or so albums in my collection that I either never got around to or haven't listened to from start to finish.

Medulla: pretty bizarre even by Bjork's standards, but I really like it. It's definitely a "sounds" album rather than "songs" album.

Meat is Murder: ehhhh. I'm forced to conclude that Smiths to me are like Sigur Ros: one record I absolutely adore and nothing else that clicks. Their self-titled album mostly bored me to tears; songs here are a bit better but still dull, or they start off promising and then gradually turn into dullness.

My next goal is to listen to Nevermind which I don't think I've actually ever listened to from start to finish.

The Enemy
Sloan
Roisin Murphey
Kate Nash
The Wombats
Tokyo Police Club
The Fratellis
Ben Kweller

I'm gonna make a playlist and listen to it while working out for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom