What's in your collection that you need to listen to more? What will you do about it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Put it on now!!

I bought Bjork's Volta, went to the concert and everything, had a great time, love that woman, but have never given the record the time of day for some reason. I only know "Earth Intruders." :reject:

I actually listened to Life's Rich Pageant yesterday because of your demand. it's much, much better than I always seem to imagine it in my head. I need to work it more into the cycle so I don't continue to listen to it once every 3 years and forget that I like it.

I too have only heard Volta all the way through once (because I was less than impressed the first time). A few weeks ago I realized I like 'Innocence' quite a bit, so maybe I'll have to give the album a shot again.

Meat is Murder: ehhhh. I'm forced to conclude that Smiths to me are like Sigur Ros: one record I absolutely adore and nothing else that clicks. Their self-titled album mostly bored me to tears; songs here are a bit better but still dull, or they start off promising and then gradually turn into dullness.

Even though I'm a Smiths fanboy, I think that Meat is Murder is their weakest release by a decent margin. Regardless, glad to see some people actually getting some of the things on their lists listened to. :up:

I agree with Saracene. Queen Is Dead is truly fantastic, but nothing else of the Smiths has really grabbed me.

Lifes Rich Pageant is in my top 3 REM albums, definitely not an album I forget to listen too. In fact, Begin The Begin, These Days, I Believe, and Cuyahoga are all in my top ten most listened tracks on last.fm.

For me, I need to listen to more Radiohead. I have The Bends and OK Computer, but have not put much time into them yet. I also need to pick up their other albums besides In Rainbows.

Since tomorrow is my day off from work, I vow to go looking for the other Radiohead albums, and listen to The Bends and OK Computer as I go from one CD store to another.

You're asking a lot of questions, YLB. A lot of questions. Too many questions.

cycleofkhanml7.gif

I agree with Saracene. Queen Is Dead is truly fantastic, but nothing else of the Smiths has really grabbed me.

I'm surprised you don't both still at least enjoy some of the debut. Sure, it starts off surprisingly slow and mellow, but the entire middle is pretty dang stellar for classics and fan favorites.

Classics: This Charming Man, Still Ill, Hand In Glove, What Difference Does It Make?

Fan Favs: Pretty Girls Make Graves, Hand That Rocks the Cradle

Still Ill is one of my all time fav songs, I shout the lyrics out like it's my personal creed or something every time I listen to it.

:wink:

I'm surprised you don't both still at least enjoy some of the debut. Sure, it starts off surprisingly slow and mellow, but the entire middle is pretty dang stellar for classics and fan favorites.

Classics: This Charming Man, Still Ill, Hand In Glove, What Difference Does It Make?

Fan Favs: Pretty Girls Make Graves, Hand That Rocks the Cradle

Still Ill is one of my all time fav songs, I shout the lyrics out like it's my personal creed or something every time I listen to it.

:wink:

Huh. Maybe that one would be worth listening through again. What solo Morrissey work do you suggest?

Personally, I'd stick with trying The Smiths before moving on, as it doesn't seem likely you'll like his solo stuff if you don't like them. But if you do want to take a looksie:

Your Arsenal
Vauxhall and I
You Are the Quarry

Personally, I'd stick with trying The Smiths before moving on, as it doesn't seem likely you'll like his solo stuff if you don't like them. But if you do want to take a looksie:

Your Arsenal
Vauxhall and I
You Are the Quarry

Add Viva Hate on there too :wink:

And for people listening to the Smiths studio albums don't forget Hatful of Hollow (with much better versions of songs from their debut) and Louder than bombs, compilation albums that are essential

As for albums I need to listen to more...there's an awful lot

Around Christmas I bought 6 albums by bands I never heard of and only one stood out, maybe I should give the others another listen...

I bought Bjork's Volta, went to the concert and everything, had a great time, love that woman, but have never given the record the time of day for some reason. I only know "Earth Intruders." :reject:

Tori Amos' "Stange Little Girls" remains a stranger.

I'll admit I haven't listened to Volta as much as some of Bjork's other albums, but I have enough to know I like it. I highly recommend Declare Independence. :up:

And I am still championing Strange Little Girls. Nowadays I skip about half of it, but Real Men, Rattlesnakes, Time, and several others still get regular play.

A big hell yes to The Holy Bible by the Manics. Such an incredible album. I've listened to it tons, but that's still not enough.

As for me...
I have barely scratched the surface of the latest Death Cab, and I don't even own the new Coldplay record. :|

And for people listening to the Smiths studio albums don't forget Hatful of Hollow (with much better versions of songs from their debut) and Louder than bombs, compilation albums that are essential

I've always preferred the debut versions, but that's because I'm on crack.

I did like a few songs off the first album: Reel Around the Fountain, This Charming Man, Pretty Girls Make Graves. But the rest I found utterly unmemorable. Plus I can't say I enjoy Morrissey's vocals on their first two albums. I love his singing on Queen Is Dead and his solo stuff, but early on it just sounds like he's beating the same damn note over and over and over again. And his falsetto is just godawful, :crazy:

No Age - 'Nouns'

I've decided this is not good to listen to while doing cardio. The whole "slow atmospheric distortion" thing going into a "guitars so loud it blows your ear drums" thing isn't good for the ole heart rate.

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom