whatever happened to desert island or space moon or whatever? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 AM
whatever happened to desert island or space moon or whatever?

j/w. i'm kinda bored atm and wouldnt mind wasting 3 hours making a playlist

Old 03-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
The Male

Local Time: 03:36 AM
If I were premium, I would have asked for the opportunity to run DI7 a while ago. Alas. I'm wondering if it's even worth it if only the same faces will pop up again (I've toyed with the thought of pushing for the announcement to be a universal sticky but, on the other hand, do we really want PLEBA playlists in the mix?).

Anyway, I have enough playlists to last me through DI11, so that's not an issue for me. Ready whenever you guys are.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:36 AM
DI7 will be worth doing, if only for adopting the formula used on the Best Of 2000s mini tournament late last year, along with some additional tweaks based on a few excellent suggestions previously provided.

Like LM, my only concern is the same participants being involved. We need some new faces to make up at least a quarter of the spots to make it interesting. My idea before was to start alternating players in and out of the DI lineup. I still think we should try that to help facilitate some change.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Weren't there some new faces in the last tournament?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

I was thinking of bravely attempting to use zero artists I had used previously

anyway, we should totally do one. I'm pretty busy because I'm studying abroad but I also do a lot of homework and so I'd have time to listen to playlists then
Old 03-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

God, who gives a fuck about new faces, can't we just enjoy the sharing of music? I'm really hoping this gets going soon enough so that I can have the playlists for when I have to drive from Texas to Indiana in a couple of months.

Seriously, I've always enjoyed the game and there's never been a moment when the SAME EXACT 20-24 (however many people it is) have competed. And as long as people like AtomicBono keep trying new things like she's suggested above, then there's always going to be at least something new to try. There have been plenty of opportunity for other people, and for some reason on an anonymous forum they have acted pitifully shy, thinking they would not be welcomed into the tournament. Their loss.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
The Male

1. Cut a hole in a box.

2. Do NOT reserve spaces when the sign-up thread is started.

3. If we do implement the Best of '00s format into the game (which I adamantly disagree with and feel would be a detriment to DI), do NOT keep voting closed to participants. That was a terrible idea, and would be even worse in a full DI.

4. Ashley was dead on: challenge yourselves with your playlists. Discover new artists and integrate them into your playlists, don't just stick with the same ol' same. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone specifically, because I feel this has been a general issue for a while now (which is what I was trying to address in my first post, not necessarily the familiar faces). Really, there's no reason to fret over the participants if there's great variety present from game to game. Also, if you refuse to join and then bitch about stagnancy, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
God, who gives a fuck about new faces, can't we just enjoy the sharing of music? I'm really hoping this gets going soon enough so that I can have the playlists for when I have to drive from Texas to Indiana in a couple of months.

Seriously, I've always enjoyed the game and there's never been a moment when the SAME EXACT 20-24 (however many people it is) have competed. And as long as people like AtomicBono keep trying new things like she's suggested above, then there's always going to be at least something new to try. There have been plenty of opportunity for other people, and for some reason on an anonymous forum they have acted pitifully shy, thinking they would not be welcomed into the tournament. Their loss.
hey thanks

yeah i mostly agree with this, it's not so much that i think we really need new faces necessarily, it's that i think new people who want to compete should have a chance and not feel intimidated. maybe the best way to do this is to not reserve spots for people...though i'd likely miss out in that case

anyway i think we should get this going! maybe have the playlists due in three weeks or a month or something. idk, i think it'd be fun
Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Of course, I pretty much disagree on #4 being a necessity, I've always argued for making a playlist you enjoy. If that means you use a lot of similar artists so be it. If you enjoy challenging yourself to make a list of all new artists, that's awesome too. All I care about is that people are playing this GAME and having a good time, not that we're all bickering over format and competitors.

I NEVER would listen to what I do now if I hadn't taken the dive and participated in DI2. Off the top of my head I could name about 10 or 15 bands I got into as a result of that tournament. It's a fun communial experience, and I hope it can stay that way. The timing of the summer DI has always been off-putting to me because it seems like that is when the forum is the deadest, and usually leads to the least amount of connectivity amongst participants, the one thing I'd love most out of this tournament would be to see some change come there.

:rambling:
Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
2. Do NOT reserve spaces when the sign-up thread is started.
beat me to it

except I should totally get a spot because I reminded you all of it to begin with (kidding...well...sort of)
Old 03-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

I NEVER would listen to what I do now if I hadn't taken the dive and participated in DI2. Off the top of my head I could name about 10 or 15 bands I got into as a result of that tournament.
:rambling:
yeah I have definitely been introduced to some GREAT artists from DI... and I hope I introduce people to stuff they maybe wouldn't listen to otherwise. Don't worry, I don't think I'll be putting much heavy stuff/screamo on this one might have to go with a Taking Back Sunday song as a guilty pleasure though...would you all hate me forever?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

A week, tops.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Space Moon.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Surely reigning champion gets the only reserved spot?

Either way, DI
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Like LM, my only concern is the same participants being involved. We need some new faces to make up at least a quarter of the spots to make it interesting. My idea before was to start alternating players in and out of the DI lineup. I still think we should try that to help facilitate some change.
Is the need for new faces that critical to making it interesting? I thought the Best of The 2000's was the best one since DI 2. Even though many of the same faces were there we still had fresh and interesting playlists from them. Everyone has a particular style and approach but each playlist is different.