whatever happened to desert island or space moon or whatever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I were premium, I would have asked for the opportunity to run DI7 a while ago. Alas. I'm wondering if it's even worth it if only the same faces will pop up again (I've toyed with the thought of pushing for the announcement to be a universal sticky but, on the other hand, do we really want PLEBA playlists in the mix?).

Anyway, I have enough playlists to last me through DI11, so that's not an issue for me. Ready whenever you guys are.

DI7 will be worth doing, if only for adopting the formula used on the Best Of 2000s mini tournament late last year, along with some additional tweaks based on a few excellent suggestions previously provided.

Like LM, my only concern is the same participants being involved. We need some new faces to make up at least a quarter of the spots to make it interesting. My idea before was to start alternating players in and out of the DI lineup. I still think we should try that to help facilitate some change.

I was thinking of bravely attempting to use zero artists I had used previously

anyway, we should totally do one. I'm pretty busy because I'm studying abroad but I also do a lot of homework and so I'd have time to listen to playlists then

God, who gives a fuck about new faces, can't we just enjoy the sharing of music? I'm really hoping this gets going soon enough so that I can have the playlists for when I have to drive from Texas to Indiana in a couple of months.

Seriously, I've always enjoyed the game and there's never been a moment when the SAME EXACT 20-24 (however many people it is) have competed. And as long as people like AtomicBono keep trying new things like she's suggested above, then there's always going to be at least something new to try. There have been plenty of opportunity for other people, and for some reason on an anonymous forum they have acted pitifully shy, thinking they would not be welcomed into the tournament. Their loss.

1. Cut a hole in a box.

2. Do NOT reserve spaces when the sign-up thread is started.

3. If we do implement the Best of '00s format into the game (which I adamantly disagree with and feel would be a detriment to DI), do NOT keep voting closed to participants. That was a terrible idea, and would be even worse in a full DI.

4. Ashley was dead on: challenge yourselves with your playlists. Discover new artists and integrate them into your playlists, don't just stick with the same ol' same. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone specifically, because I feel this has been a general issue for a while now (which is what I was trying to address in my first post, not necessarily the familiar faces). Really, there's no reason to fret over the participants if there's great variety present from game to game. Also, if you refuse to join and then bitch about stagnancy, you have no one to blame but yourself.

God, who gives a fuck about new faces, can't we just enjoy the sharing of music? I'm really hoping this gets going soon enough so that I can have the playlists for when I have to drive from Texas to Indiana in a couple of months.

Seriously, I've always enjoyed the game and there's never been a moment when the SAME EXACT 20-24 (however many people it is) have competed. And as long as people like AtomicBono keep trying new things like she's suggested above, then there's always going to be at least something new to try. There have been plenty of opportunity for other people, and for some reason on an anonymous forum they have acted pitifully shy, thinking they would not be welcomed into the tournament. Their loss.

hey thanks :D

yeah i mostly agree with this, it's not so much that i think we really need new faces necessarily, it's that i think new people who want to compete should have a chance and not feel intimidated. maybe the best way to do this is to not reserve spots for people...though i'd likely miss out in that case :wink:

anyway i think we should get this going! maybe have the playlists due in three weeks or a month or something. idk, i think it'd be fun :up:

Of course, I pretty much disagree on #4 being a necessity, I've always argued for making a playlist you enjoy. If that means you use a lot of similar artists so be it. If you enjoy challenging yourself to make a list of all new artists, that's awesome too. All I care about is that people are playing this GAME and having a good time, not that we're all bickering over format and competitors.

I NEVER would listen to what I do now if I hadn't taken the dive and participated in DI2. Off the top of my head I could name about 10 or 15 bands I got into as a result of that tournament. It's a fun communial experience, and I hope it can stay that way. The timing of the summer DI has always been off-putting to me because it seems like that is when the forum is the deadest, and usually leads to the least amount of connectivity amongst participants, the one thing I'd love most out of this tournament would be to see some change come there.

:rambling:

I NEVER would listen to what I do now if I hadn't taken the dive and participated in DI2. Off the top of my head I could name about 10 or 15 bands I got into as a result of that tournament.
:rambling:

yeah I have definitely been introduced to some GREAT artists from DI... and I hope I introduce people to stuff they maybe wouldn't listen to otherwise. Don't worry, I don't think I'll be putting much heavy stuff/screamo on this one :wink: might have to go with a Taking Back Sunday song as a guilty pleasure though...would you all hate me forever?

Like LM, my only concern is the same participants being involved. We need some new faces to make up at least a quarter of the spots to make it interesting. My idea before was to start alternating players in and out of the DI lineup. I still think we should try that to help facilitate some change.

Is the need for new faces that critical to making it interesting? I thought the Best of The 2000's was the best one since DI 2. Even though many of the same faces were there we still had fresh and interesting playlists from them. Everyone has a particular style and approach but each playlist is different.

Let me clarify.

It's not all about new faces, although I think anytime we get a few new participants, it definitely makes it more interesting. Rather, it's the fact that we have the same core group involved every time, and that's why I continue to believe that the alternating of some of the veterans who have done DI the most (LMP, Ax, LM, myself, etc.) would not be a bad thing. But if most people didn't care, then by all means, I wouldn't change it.

3. If we do implement the Best of '00s format into the game (which I adamantly disagree with and feel would be a detriment to DI), do NOT keep voting closed to participants. That was a terrible idea, and would be even worse in a full DI.

Why was participant-only voting such a bad idea? It seemed to work just fine (although for DI7, I'd probably have it open to everyone anyway). And I'm surprised that you are "adamantly" against this new format. I know you voiced some concerns previously, but I thought it went over rather well, and that seemed to be the majority opinion. Is there one specific reason why you prefer the original method?

Space Moon. :(

Here's the perfect example of someone who should be doing this.

Is the need for new faces that critical to making it interesting? I thought the Best of The 2000's was the best one since DI 2. Even though many of the same faces were there we still had fresh and interesting playlists from them. Everyone has a particular style and approach but each playlist is different.

See my comment above. Not entirely critical, but certainly doesn't hurt it.

Why was participant-only voting such a bad idea? It seemed to work just fine (although for DI7, I'd probably have it open to everyone anyway). And I'm surprised that you are "adamantly" against this new format. I know you voiced some concerns previously, but I thought it went over rather well, and that seemed to be the majority opinion. Is there one specific reason why you prefer the original method?
I think it was good in the sense that you had a vote tallied for every member. Maybe you can combine the two: get all participants to submit lists ahead of time so that they're on the record even if they aren't around to vote. Then, you can open the voting up to other people to vote on the lists on top of the participants.

Here's the perfect example of someone who should be doing this.

I'll do it. I just need the rules, format, etc, explained to me if/when the time comes. I never really paid all that much attention to the DI competitions, not 100% sure why.

So, if this does go down, count me in. I might need someone like YLB to upload stuff for me, though.

Why was participant-only voting such a bad idea? It seemed to work just fine (although for DI7, I'd probably have it open to everyone anyway).

Because there are 30,000+ other users on this site with opinions that should be heard if at all possible. Ideally (assuming the new format is implemented), you can force the issue and all 20-25 users will submit their rankings, as well as a number of others. I have some caveats, however.

And I'm surprised that you are "adamantly" against this new format. I know you voiced some concerns previously, but I thought it went over rather well, and that seemed to be the majority opinion. Is there one specific reason why you prefer the original method?

My biggest concern: the majority will not listen to all of the playlists. Rather than affording users time to listen to the playlists through a scheduled playoff system, throwing all of the entries into a pot and letting people do what they will with them for a set time period fosters procrastination. If you require participants to submit their rankings (or else be disqualified), they will likely resign themselves to eventually throwing the list together immediately prior to the deadline without having heard them all. I can speak from experience on this one. :uhoh:

Also (this is a less significant issue), I felt the unveiling of the final results was fairly anticlimactic:

Pre-DI discussion
Sign-up thread
Playlist discussion

Gestation period

Final results

If the new system is implemented, it needs a lot of work, especially when transposed to a full game with more participants and double the music.

i'd definitely rather voting open to the entire site. it's inevitable nobody will listen to all of the lists, so we've got to hope that polls will actually be voted on by people who have listened, even if they're not in the tournament.

plus you can't really expect to attract new contestants if your further segregate it from the rest of the forum.

I'll do it. I just need the rules, format, etc, explained to me if/when the time comes. I never really paid all that much attention to the DI competitions, not 100% sure why.

So, if this does go down, count me in. I might need someone like YLB to upload stuff for me, though.

I've got no problem uploading anything for you, just let me know.

If there's another one of these, I might just sit it out. It's not that I'm against the same people coming back repeatedly, but I do think that having at least a pocket of different people contribute to variety in the overall song choice and the like. Giving up my spot, like Phanan alluded to earlier, would help out a lot in this regard.

I also think it should be one of two ways:

1. The same tournament style implemented for DI 3 and beyond, as long as people get about a month's time to listen to each list, or at least attempt to. The two things I've had against this system are the seeding methods and sometimes arbitrary voting, either by someone only listening to one of the lists or voting based on the person or some shit like that. It's happened.

2. Just be a pure list submission with constant feedback, either a summary or running diary posted, and it's more of an open discussion as opposed to a competition. Like the Best of the '00s tourney, a ranked list would still be sent in and tallied, but it wouldn't be the focus of the exercise, as it shouldn't be. Maybe this way there wouldn't be a cap on how many could participate, thereby allowing more "new" faces to submit lists.

I've got no problem uploading anything for you, just let me know.

If there's another one of these, I might just sit it out. It's not that I'm against the same people coming back repeatedly, but I do think that having at least a pocket of different people contribute to variety in the overall song choice and the like. Giving up my spot, like Phanan alluded to earlier, would help out a lot in this regard.

I also think it should be one of two ways:

1. The same tournament style implemented for DI 3 and beyond, as long as people get about a month's time to listen to each list, or at least attempt to. The two things I've had against this system are the seeding methods and sometimes arbitrary voting, either by someone only listening to one of the lists or voting based on the person or some shit like that. It's happened.

2. Just be a pure list submission with constant feedback, either a summary or running diary posted, and it's more of an open discussion as opposed to a competition. Like the Best of the '00s tourney, a ranked list would still be sent in and tallied, but it wouldn't be the focus of the exercise, as it shouldn't be. Maybe this way there wouldn't be a cap on how many could participate, thereby allowing more "new" faces to submit lists.

Maybe the actual tournament could be like part 1. But then there could be a contestant's pick or something in the vein of part 2.

It would be sad if you sat out. I generally like your lists a lot (for the most part), and I was introduced to Kanye West, Ratatat, and various other goodness from your lists. :up:

i totally think we should do another di. i've got a list i've been sitting on for over a year. i just think we should get something going. if anyone's afraid of participating, well, look at the last di. someone who's a non-regular (i don't remember if mr. v had submitted lists before, which is why i hesitate to use the phrase di newbie or something) won. it's not always the same old same old. even then, i think most of the people who regularly contribute :ahem: tend to produce different lists. so yeah. i just hope i don't miss out on signing up, or i might delete the playlist out of frustration. :lol:

Maybe the actual tournament could be like part 1. But then there could be a contestant's pick or something in the vein of part 2.

It would be sad if you sat out. I generally like your lists a lot (for the most part), and I was introduced to Kanye West, Ratatat, and various other goodness from your lists. :up:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I can post a list independently from the main tourney, too, an idea I've tinkered with in the past.

Also:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/best-of-2000s-results-thread-202942-4.html#post6494218

Back
Top Bottom