whatever happened to desert island or space moon or whatever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny this thread should crop up. Just a couple of days ago I was wondering if we would see a new DI any time soon and I poked around a bit with lists.

I'm unsure how I feel about regulars sitting out an edition of DI. I think the problem - as others have said - is not with the same faces, but with homogenous lists. I would like to see more people challenging themselves with themes, focuses, restrictions, whatever. I've three different ideas for lists (one is the Metal Island, another like AtomicBono's to use bands I've never used before, and a third to geographically limit my selections) and they will all produce different lists to anything I've made before.

I don't know if I'd have the patience to go through and compile a list of all artists ever used in DI, but I would be fascinated by a list using artists that NOBODY has ever used in any edition of DI, including mini-DIs.

As far as closed voting goes, I am in complete opposition to this. I'm not sure I would even participate if this is implemented again. I didn't bring this game to B&C to make it some exclusive club; I started it as a way for music to be shared, discussed, and enjoyed amongst as wide a group as possible. Closed voting is totally contrary to that.

i totally think we should do another di. i've got a list i've been sitting on for over a year. i just think we should get something going. if anyone's afraid of participating, well, look at the last di. someone who's a non-regular (i don't remember if mr. v had submitted lists before, which is why i hesitate to use the phrase di newbie or something) won. it's not always the same old same old. even then, i think most of the people who regularly contribute :ahem: tend to produce different lists. so yeah. i just hope i don't miss out on signing up, or i might delete the playlist out of frustration. :lol:

I'd submitted one list before, but it was half as long as the others. It still did well.

I think I'm a lurker, these days, not a newbie. Used to get involved with the superthreads and that.

Pretty sure you'll be the only person who'll even attempt to listen to it in full.

I should title it "Metal Island: or, If You Disliked My DI IV List, You Will Hate This".

oh i will listen...i'm in a prog metal band with black metal, nu-metal, and post-rock influence :D

but yeah lets get this going! As for the voting style, I think it should be the way it has been usually, though I don't care too much either way

oh i will listen...i'm in a prog metal band with black metal, nu-metal, and post-rock influence :D

but yeah lets get this going! As for the voting style, I think it should be the way it has been usually, though I don't care too much either way

I'm all about this band of yours. If it means anything to you, the final few tracks of the Metal Island current draft are by Ulver (as in Bergtatt era), A Forest Of Stars, Wolves In The Throne Room (who slayed live in Melbourne last month!), Immortal, and ... Impaled Northern Moonforest.

Yeah, let's do this thing. Glad to see it looks like phanan's happy to keep running the show. I'm a bit too busy and not on B&C enough to really take the DI reins back - and I don't really want them these days anyway.

Because there are 30,000+ other users on this site with opinions that should be heard if at all possible. Ideally (assuming the new format is implemented), you can force the issue and all 20-25 users will submit their rankings, as well as a number of others. I have some caveats, however.

And as you are well aware, even if with open voting, we will have, at best, maybe 5 others (outside of the actual participants) who are interested in being involved. That's why the closed voting wasn't as big of a deal, if you ask me. But it will be open this time anyway.

My biggest concern: the majority will not listen to all of the playlists. Rather than affording users time to listen to the playlists through a scheduled playoff system, throwing all of the entries into a pot and letting people do what they will with them for a set time period fosters procrastination. If you require participants to submit their rankings (or else be disqualified), they will likely resign themselves to eventually throwing the list together immediately prior to the deadline without having heard them all. I can speak from experience on this one. :uhoh:

That happens no matter how we do this. It's just a fact that not everyone will listen to all of these. I may be only one who can truthfully state that I've listened to every single playlist since I've been doing this, so believe me, I'm aware.

Which is why I really like LMP's idea that was thrown out there previously - release a group of five playlists at a time, to make this more manageable for everyone. And I'm going to go one better than that. While we will have a due date for everyone to submit their playlists by, it's inevitable that some players will be done early. So, we can release the first group of playlists out to people to listen to, even if we haven't arrived at the due date for all playlists to be submitted. I think this would greatly help. People like to share what they've done right away anyway.

Also (this is a less significant issue), I felt the unveiling of the final results was fairly anticlimactic:

Pre-DI discussion
Sign-up thread
Playlist discussion

Gestation period

Final results

If the new system is implemented, it needs a lot of work, especially when transposed to a full game with more participants and double the music.

The execution was a bit off last time, I agree. But that's why we tested it on a mini, to see what worked and what didn't. The final results thread was rather sudden, but I think just announcing when it will be when we start this, and keeping to that time, will improve it significantly, so everyone is aware when it will happen. Last time, I just did it without any warning, which I think threw people off.

But I think the concept has merit. And this time, the "gestation period" will be staggered by how we release the playlists. Say we have 20 people, we can do four threads, with five playlists released at a time (or five threads of four). Plenty of flexibility to this, and you didn't really have that option with polls.

No Metal Island! Sorry. Unless you want to.

I'd do just about any other, though.

I'll steer us clear of Metal Island if everybody agrees to a moratorium on Now That's What I Call Indie sort of lists.

As far as closed voting goes, I am in complete opposition to this. I'm not sure I would even participate if this is implemented again. I didn't bring this game to B&C to make it some exclusive club; I started it as a way for music to be shared, discussed, and enjoyed amongst as wide a group as possible. Closed voting is totally contrary to that.

As I said, we're not doing closed voting for DI7 anyway. It was only done for the mini to test the new format out. I'm the last person who wants to make this exclusive - I've stated all along that I want as many different people as possible.

I can get the sign-up thread up this week. Sounds like enough people want to participate now.

I'm all about this band of yours. If it means anything to you, the final few tracks of the Metal Island current draft are by Ulver (as in Bergtatt era), A Forest Of Stars, Wolves In The Throne Room (who slayed live in Melbourne last month!), Immortal, and ... Impaled Northern Moonforest.

I know Ulver and Immortal, don't know the others unfortunately. It's my singer/second guitarist who's really the metalhead...I am still a student in the ways of metal :wink: but surely your list will have Opeth and Orphaned Land, yeah?

as for my band, yeah, I mean my lead isn't very complex so we don't sound anything like Dream Theater, but our complexity lies in our crazy time signature changes. Our opening track goes from 11/4 to 3/4 to 5/4 to 3/4 to 11/8 to 11/4 to...well, you get the idea :wink: Name a time signature and we probably have a riff in it :D and our drummer is INSANE. blast beats and the like. very badass.

anyway, The Sad Punk, I believe Axver was just referring to his playlist, not an entire DI spinoff. I doubt we could get enough people to do a Metal DI. Maybe a Rock the Fuck Out one though.

Which is why I really like LMP's idea that was thrown out there previously - release a group of five playlists at a time, to make this more manageable for everyone. And I'm going to go one better than that. While we will have a due date for everyone to submit their playlists by, it's inevitable that some players will be done early. So, we can release the first group of playlists out to people to listen to, even if we haven't arrived at the due date for all playlists to be submitted. I think this would greatly help. People like to share what they've done right away anyway.

That's a great idea imo. Makes it much less overwhelming...when I get 20 playlists at one I don't know where to start, and while I do usually end up listening to most of them, I must confess that I've never gotten through all of them either. I think this approach would help a lot.

also, is there a list anywhere of all the previous DI lists? like, in one place? wasn't there a website or something? I wanna make sure I don't use artists I've already used. I can't remember my earlier ones

I'll steer us clear of Metal Island if everybody agrees to a moratorium on Now That's What I Call Indie sort of lists.

In this context, I think your variation of FIGHT THE POWER is necessary, even if not everyone on the board will dig it. So yeah, I don't have a problem if it's an individual list, I probably just misunderstood and AB put me in the intended direction.

And even if it were a full Metal DI, I wouldn't have any impact and wouldn't care if it existed or not.

i think axver and i are the only ones who would attempt a Metal DI... :p but like I said a Rock the Fuck Out DI would be cool in the future maybe (...we havent done that yet have we?) Everyone has a different idea of what RTFO means so I think it would be interesting

i think axver and i are the only ones who would attempt a Metal DI... :p but like I said a Rock the Fuck Out DI would be cool in the future maybe (...we havent done that yet have we?) Everyone has a different idea of what RTFO means so I think it would be interesting

It's hard to keep the rock though, for a whole playlist. At least for me, I'd need a breather.

the only reason i would compete is listening to playlists.

i can't for the life of me see how you can all listen to 20-odd two hour playlists and then digest them enough to rank them :lol:

since the files are usually sent out along with the groups, i rank them by group, so i'm usually looking at four at a time i think? it's less daunting when you do it that way, i think. once it progresses to semifinals and such, i just rank them then. no need to relisten or anything.

i usually listen in order (start with the first person on group one) for two reasons. #1, it's obviously easier to rank within a group by listening to them all fairly close together. #2, i start with group one so in case i'm not done listening to everyone's by the time voting starts, i obviously have a bit more time to finish listening.

Yeah, the link is in my signature. While all DIs are there, it's a bit outdated.

Speaking of which, I will voluntarily TYPE OUT DI IV if you will replace the image version with the new one. Trying to find anything on that page is the most painful of headache inducing experiences.

:lol:

That page got screwed up and I'm too lazy to fix it.

But that whole site is probably not going to be around much longer anyway. I believe my free trial with Apple expires soon, and when it does, that'll most likely be the end of it.

I am A-OK with staggered playlist releases. Worth a shot.

And that's about all I have to add. DI7, here we come.

Back
Top Bottom