What Makes For A Classic Song In Your Mind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, to me, it is something that starts off as a bit unique/different to what is out there, is suddenly played at overkill, yet, somehow becomes popular so much so it is highly successful and suddenly everyone knows the words, and hey presto, you got a song that you term classic. But everyone is gonna have different definations. Mine was sh*te, but I know what I mean.

So to me some examples

Bonnie Tyler – Hero
Whitney – I Will Always Love You
Bryan Adams – Everything I do
Gnarls Barkley – Crazy
Nickelback – Rockstar
Meat Loaf – Anything for Love
Celine Dion – Heart Will Go On

Etc etc

emotional resonance, mainly.

Of course, something merely being labelled a 'classic' does not make it so.

Sticking feathers in your ass does not make you a chicken.

I’ve always wondered how other people determine if a song is a classic. So how do you know when a song is a classic? What are the common characteristics of a classic song? What are some classic songs in your opinion?

How you know?
When it's very special, of outstanding quality and has that extra something.

And no, there's no way to qualify this. :) It just is.

emotional resonance, mainly.

Of course, something merely being labelled a 'classic' does not make it so.

Sticking feathers in your ass does not make you a chicken.

Yes.

How you know?
When it's very special, of outstanding quality and has that extra something.

And no, there's no way to qualify this. :) It just is.

Double yes.

A classic song in my mind? Stairway to Heaven being played by the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Top that, fuckers.

I think we should just collectively analyze "Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones. The answer's gotta be in there somewhere.

A classic to me? A song that I really like that has a little extra something, something you cannot really count.

A classic in general discussion? A song generally regarded as great.

Casablanca is a "classic" movie.

But I don't even know what the fuck a song is, so I can't answer this question.

Maybe a song with some kind of cultural impact, and one that has an ongoing resonance among many, and somehow doesn't seem to ever become forgotten

Imagine - John Lennon
Stairway To Heaven - Led Zep
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
YMCA - Village People

A classic can only be a classic really if the majority agree it is a good song, as you are hardly goin to get many people agree Creature Fear by Bon Iver as a classic when most people go 'Bon Iver, what!?'. It is only ever otherwise going to be a great song to you and a select few.

A classic to me is a song with a good beat, meaningful lyrics that make you think about their meaning and a song on a whole that makes you smile and want to listen to it and sometimes to sing along repeatedly. A song that each time you hear it can remind you of how beautiful it is and who you were the very first time you heard it.

Back
Top Bottom