What is your favorite year of music? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hypocrite Narcissist
Posts: 8,806
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Another vote for 1987, for all the reasons NSW listed.
__________________

__________________
Danny Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #32
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,525
Local Time: 02:21 PM
1987, absolutely agree.
__________________

__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #33
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,525
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
For me it's 1987. And, that's not based on looking at album releases from that year - I am going off of my memories and just knowing I was on cloud 9 all year musically.

Besides the Joshua Tree and Appetite for Destruction, there were new albums from REM, The Cure, The Smiths, Prince, Replacements, Depeche Mode, INXS, Echo and the Bunnymen and more.....just a great year in my life and a lot of this music served as a memorable backdrop.
What this guy said.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Fez
Posts: 23,876
Local Time: 01:21 PM
I'd say 1987, but I was 6 years old. The best songs at the time for me were themes to He-Man and Thundercats. Oh, and Hulk Hogan's theme song.
__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,629
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I'd say 1987, but I was 6 years old. The best songs at the time for me were themes to He-Man and Thundercats. Oh, and Hulk Hogan's theme song.
"When it's comes crashing down and it hurts inside!"

-Coincidentally, the WWF released their first ever music album, Piledriver, that year too.


I was 14/15 years old and started to get into music way more. MTV and radio were playing the shit out of With or Without You, so I couldn't help but get into U2 more. Plus, Sgt. Pepper was celebrating its 20th anniversary, so I was really getting into The Beatles a lot more too.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #36
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,525
Local Time: 02:21 PM
I was graduating high school. And trust me, if grade 12 isn't (one of) your best years for just about everything, you've clearly done it wrong lol
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,200
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
1997 also produced my favorite guilty pleasure album, Third Eye Blind's debut album. Yes, they suck, and I was 16, but golly.
I hate to admit it, but I'm with you on this one. Out of pure nostalgia, I've still got a soft spot for shitty late 90s radio. I was 14, I didn't really know any better at the time. And I'd throw everclear's so much for the afterglow in that same category as well.

In 1987 I was still listening to Raffi, Peter Paul & Mary and Tom Paxton kids albums
__________________
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,629
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
I was graduating high school. And trust me, if grade 12 isn't (one of) your best years for just about everything, you've clearly done it wrong lol
Exactly, that's why I chose 1991 as my favorite year. 87 kicked off HS and 91 ended it. Plus, Fall of 1991 was my first semester of college and that was an awesome time for a number of my favorite bands. (RHCP, GNR, VH, Nirvana, Ozzy and U2 to name a bunch.)
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #39
War Child
 
Padj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Italy
Posts: 836
Local Time: 08:21 PM
I've been doing a thing where I listen to 40-50 albums from a certain year, using a mix of RYM ratings and other sites to choose the albums, then I make a top ten. So far 1987 and 1974 were my favorites. 1987 sure was a great year!
My favorites, in no particular order:

Hüsker Dü - Warehouse: Songs and Stories
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Prince - Sign "☮" the Times
Marc Almond - Mother Fist and Her Five Daughters
The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me
The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me
Carlos Paredes - Espelho de Sons
Sonic Youth - Sister
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands
R.E.M. - Document
The Connells - Boylan Heights
Death in June - Brown Book
Radio Futura - La canción de Juan Perro
Sumo - After chabón
Swans - Children of God
Thin White Rope - Moonhead
The Housemartins - The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death
The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
INXS - Kick
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
Madredeus - Os Dias da MadreDeus

And for 1974:
Neil Young - On the Beach
John Cale - Fear
Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
Rino Gaetano - Ingresso libero
Jorge Ben - A tábua de esmeralda
Sparks - Propaganda
Sparks - Kimono My House
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Roxy Music - Country Life
Zappa / Mothers - Roxy & Elsewhere
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Lucio Battisti - Anima latina
Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
King Crimson - Red
Big Star - Radio City
Camel - Mirage
Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Santana - Lotus

Currently doing 1971. Another great year
__________________
Padj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #40
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,525
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Substance came out in 87, also. (altho admittedly a compilation of earlier stuff, still..one of my favorite albums ever)

Also:
Music For The Masses
Paid In Full
Yo! Bum Rush The Show
Bad (MJ)
Bad (LL)
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #41
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,378
Local Time: 02:21 PM
1993/94. U2 - Zooropa, Oasis - Definitely Maybe, Nirvana - In Utero, Prodigy - Music for a Jilted Generation, Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion, Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish/Parklife. Really good shit for entering your early teens.
__________________
lemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #42
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,787
Local Time: 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I think 1991 could give it a run for its money with the likes of:

U2 - Achtung Baby
Nirvana- Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Soungarden- Badmotorfinger
Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion I
Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion II
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
RHCP - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik
REM - Out of Time
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
Tom Petty - Into the Great Wide Open
Stevie Ray Vaughn - The Sky is Crying
Prince & The NPG - Diamonds and Pearls
Pixies - Trompe le Monde
Live - Mental Jewelry
Plus your personal favorite:
 
Michael jackson - Dangerous

to name a few.

First thought for an answer to the question would be 1991 or 1987, based on years I experienced the music, kind of hard to mention a year in the 60's or early 70's before I was born or was far too young to be entrenched in the music of the time during its time, so I would exclude those personally.
Where is Bryan Adams' Waking Up The Neighbours?
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,629
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Where is Bryan Adams' Waking Up The Neighbours?
Also forgot the chestnuts by Rod Stewart (Vagabond Heart) and of course Michael Bolton (Time, Love and Tenderness).


If you get stoned enough, Rod's The Motown Song will blow your fuckin' mind.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pushing my wheel of love.
Posts: 8,803
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Interestingly enough i'm torn between 2 years a decade apart - 97 for all the reasons Laz posted and 2007 for:

The White Stripes - Icky Thump
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Spoon - GaGaGaGaGa
OR - The Stage Names
The National - Boxer
MGMT - oralkdjaf splakdsjflak
LCD Soundsystem - The Sound of Silver
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
Kanye - Graduation
Interpol - Our Love to Admire
Iron & Wine
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

I loved a lot of those albums.
A lot of great ones in there. 2007 also had an excellent Bruce album in Magic and one of my favorites of the decade: Raising Sand from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.
__________________
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,322
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
1969 and 1971

I'd get carpal tunnel trying to post all the good albums from these two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padj View Post
I've been doing a thing where I listen to 40-50 albums from a certain year, using a mix of RYM ratings and other sites to choose the albums, then I make a top ten. So far 1987 and 1974 were my favorites. 1987 sure was a great year!
My favorites, in no particular order:

Hüsker Dü - Warehouse: Songs and Stories
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Prince - Sign "☮" the Times
Marc Almond - Mother Fist and Her Five Daughters
The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me
The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me
Carlos Paredes - Espelho de Sons
Sonic Youth - Sister
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands
R.E.M. - Document
The Connells - Boylan Heights
Death in June - Brown Book
Radio Futura - La canción de Juan Perro
Sumo - After chabón
Swans - Children of God
Thin White Rope - Moonhead
The Housemartins - The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death
The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
INXS - Kick
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
Madredeus - Os Dias da MadreDeus

And for 1974:
Neil Young - On the Beach
John Cale - Fear
Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
Rino Gaetano - Ingresso libero
Jorge Ben - A tábua de esmeralda
Sparks - Propaganda
Sparks - Kimono My House
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Roxy Music - Country Life
Zappa / Mothers - Roxy & Elsewhere
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Lucio Battisti - Anima latina
Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
King Crimson - Red
Big Star - Radio City
Camel - Mirage
Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Santana - Lotus

Currently doing 1971. Another great year

1971 was a very strong year

Marvin Gaye
What's Going On

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin IV

The Who
Who's Next

The Rolling Stones
Sticky Fingers

Joni Mitchell
Blue

Sly and the Family Stone
There's a Riot Goin' On

David Bowie
Hunky Dory

Carole King
Tapestry

John Lennon
Imagine

The Allman Brothers Band
At Fillmore East

Rod Stewart
Every Picture Tells a Story

T. Rex
Electric Warrior

Janis Joplin
Pearl

The Doors
L.A. Woman

Serge Gainsbourg
Histoire de Melody Nelson

Leonard Cohen
Songs of Love and Hate

Funkadelic
Maggot Brain

Jethro Tull
Aqualung

The Beach Boys
Surf's Up

Yes
Fragile

Bob Marley and The Wailers
Soul Revolution/African Herbsman

Alice Cooper
Killer

Black Sabbath
Master of Reality

Isaac Hayes
Shaft

Nilsson
Nilsson Schmilsson

Yes
The Yes Album

Faces
A Nod Is as Good as a Wink...to a Blind Horse

Miles Davis
A Tribute to Jack Johnson

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
4 Way Street

Paul and Linda McCartney
Ram

Van der Graaf Generator
Pawn Hearts

Pink Floyd
Meddle

Alice Cooper
Love It to Death

Van Morrison
Tupelo Honey

Miles Davis
Live Evil

The Kinks
Muswell Hillbillies

Gil Scott-Heron
Pieces of a Man

Various Artists
The Concert for Bangladesh

Cat Stevens
Teaser and the Firecat

B.B. King
Live in Cook County Jail

Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Pictures at an Exhibition

Al Green
Al Green Gets Next to You

Traffic
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Santana
Santana III

Don McLean
American Pie
__________________

__________________
deep is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com