What is the Interference community think of "The 1975"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mount Temple

The Fly
Hi Interference community,

I'm new here and happy to have finally joined the crowd. Looking forward to more on-line chatter.

So, last week my friend was raving about a newer group from Manchester, UK called "The 1975". Apparently their debut is dropping soon even though they are on their 3rd single. Very "Oasis" of them utilizing the single buzz before the full length.

Anyway, as a fan of Manchester bands in general and the influence of Joy Division-New Order, The Smiths, Stone Roses and Oasis who all fall into my Top 40 category of bands. I therefore, was excited to check out a new group who hopefully can progress the sound further.

After an hour of watching videos on You Tube combined with interviews and Wikipedia research, I was left scratching my head. Generally I can establish very quickly my reception to music I am hearing for the first time. Certainly my first U2 song in late 1984 (Pride) made me take notice.

The 1975 although entertaining and pleasing to the ears for some reason lacked that "x-factor" I was hoping for. I am still undecided at this time about them, so would appreciate more input from the Interference community.

I have always had a very loyalist attitude in that when I decide I like an artist or band, I always will support them and give it 100%. Purchasing all their works, seeing them in concert, bios and books as well as selling anyone who will listen on the merits of the artist/band

Perhaps a listen to the entire full album release by "The 1975" might help.

What does everyone think about it?

Sorry for my poor grammar in regards to the title of this thread. It should have read:

"What DOES the Interference community think of "The 1975"?

Thanks
Mount Temple

I haven't heard much of them yet. But they're playing at a festival here in 2 weeks, so I might check them out then. I'll let you know. :)

And welcome to the forum! :wave:

P.S. Talk about other artists than U2 is more appropriate for this forum: Just the Bang and the Clatter
(Just so you know for next time :) )

Thanks Popmartijn,

I am on the iPhone app version of this site and was having trouble trying to establish what section this thread fell under.

"The Bang and The Clatter" it is for next time.

Yes, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on "The 1975" in concert. That is a big determining factor in a group's overall abilities I have always thought.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom