What bands just don't click with you? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:58 AM
The Decemberists
Elbow
The Flaming Lips
Muse
Pearl Jam
The Shins
Spoon
Sufjan Stevens

Old 11-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
All rock bands since 1995, with three or four exceptions!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Depeche Mode - a few albums, most of the beloved ones, still intend to hear Songs of Faith and Devotion
That one is their most organic, and for my money, the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Pavement. Admittedly, my dislike for Malkmus and co is more of a reaction against the endless fawning of Pitchfork, but I have tried Slanted and Enchanted three times, never having been able to get through more than three or four songs. I've also heard several other of their acclaimed songs, such as Gold Soundz, but have never been able to recall them after they have finished. Something about the way that Malkmus keeps laughing in the middle of songs, as though he is aware that the band will be over-hyped for years to come, is extremely unappealing to me. In general, I think that they are the quintessence of a band whose influence in terms of approach is much greater than the quality of their music.
What song does Malkmus laugh in, other than Summer Babe?

Anyway, it's probably not fair to judge a band solely on their first album, even if it's so highly acclaimed. Or maybe especially if it's highly acclaimed. If that type of sound doesn't float your boat, I suggest giving Brighten The Corners a spin. It's more sophisticated, and has more of the gossamer-tinged sound they're so good at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealThing89 View Post
The Beatles. I've never been a huge fan of The Beatles I did own a Greatest Hits CD of theres at one point but I didn't like it when I listened to it
Greatest Hits collections just don't cut it when you're talking about a band that many consider the greatest of all time. Actually, scratch the "many", and let's go with "most".

Get a copy of Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, or The White Album, and listen to ALL of it, preferably on headphones.

If that doesn't work, you might want to see a doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
All rock bands since 1995, with three or four exceptions!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Another one is Pearl Jam. I've heard Ten and Binaural. The former has a few songs I enjoy and I can't remember anything from Binaural.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Two of my least favorite of theirs, actually. I'd suggest giving No Code a try. It's devoid of much of the grunge sound they were known for.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Two immediately come to mind for me:

Pavement. Admittedly, my dislike for Malkmus and co is more of a reaction against the endless fawning of Pitchfork, but I have tried Slanted and Enchanted three times, never having been able to get through more than three or four songs. I've also heard several other of their acclaimed songs, such as Gold Soundz, but have never been able to recall them after they have finished. Something about the way that Malkmus keeps laughing in the middle of songs, as though he is aware that the band will be over-hyped for years to come, is extremely unappealing to me. In general, I think that they are the quintessence of a band whose influence in terms of approach is much greater than the quality of their music.

The Strokes. Many of the reasons that I mentioned above apply here as well. They may or may not have heralded the revival of the guitar, but I just don't think that they have the dexterity or ingenuity to justify their hype.
These. For starters.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Depeche Mode - a few albums, most of the beloved ones, still intend to hear Songs of Faith and Devotion
I know that we have discussed this before, but this one always surprises me from you. DM just seems like a band that you would like, given their beats and general melding of post-punk and new-wave influences.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Last night, some switch in my brain finally flipped on and I now love the Talking Heads.

I keep hoping something similar will happen with me and Depeche Mode.

Re: The Beatles, really, The White Album as an introduction to the band? Speaking personally, the majority of that album is what I hate about The Beatles. For me the gateway drug to my now admitted fandom was Abbey Road
Old 11-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't seem to think the band is all that great after having heard a collection. The White Album isn't the first thing I'd throw at someone who never listened to anything, but it's a pretty great representation of all the different styles and sounds they were capable of.

And exactly what is it you hate about the Beatles that is so well-represented here?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:58 PM
I actually think a pretty good way of listening to the Beatles is chronologically, from Please Please Me to Let It Be. Their evolution can be fully appreciated.

My clincher was actually watching the three-part prime time Beatles Anthology doco that was screened globally back in '95. That was a sort of chronological introduction.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Most Grunge apart from Nirvana, though I've only actually started to appreciate Nirvana since the Nevermind anniversary, and I probably need to look into a few more bands other than the famous ones I suppose. Pearl Jam do nothing much for me, and I find it fairly bland .

I used to like Feist, but now just find her quite boring as well. About it I think.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:58 AM
If I were forced to pick a starting point for The Beatles, I would probably go with Revolver. It's a strong representation of the impeccable pop sensibilities that came before and the philosophical experimentation that would come after.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

If this was an actual starting point, yeah, I'd probably go with that too.

I would never subject someone to the early Beatles albums unless that was likely to be their thing. That YEAH YEAH YEAH is intolerable to a lot of people, and while it doesn't necessarily bother me, I can't blame them.

But intedomine is right about the Anthology doc. I think watching that can do more for someone's opinion of the band than the actual albums.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealThing89 View Post
Nirvana. They're just a 90s version of T.Rex IMO

The Doors. I love Jim Morrison AS A PERSON!!! but their Music does absolutely nothing for me

The Beatles. I've never been a huge fan of The Beatles. I did own a Greatest Hits CD of theirs at one point but I didn't like it when I listened to it
fixed
Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
And exactly what is it you hate about the Beatles that is so well-represented here?
I always hear from dissenters that the Beatles' music is "slight" and about 1/3 of that lengthy record is slight. I find those tracks charming personally, but it probably would piss off those who look for greater substance in Beatles music than Piggies.

Abbey Road is probably the best single Beatles album to start with, that or Revolver.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote