What are your top 10 favorite albums of ALL TIME?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The National never stuck with me for some reason. i gave them a few tries too. i think mostly, it's the singers voice that just doesn't sit well with me.

The National never stuck with me for some reason. i gave them a few tries too. i think mostly, it's the singers voice that just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm the opposite, Matt Berninger could sing just about anything and I would love it. It just took me a while to get into the band because, well, there's nothing outwardly spectacular about their music. It grows on you.

I love Berninger's delivery as well, and cannot get enough of the drummer brother Devendorf. The Geese of Beverly Road? Mistaken for Strangers? Yes, sir.

must just be a matter of preference, lol. i think his voice is pretty awful and it's the only thing really turning me away from them.

1. U2 -Acthung Baby
2. U2 - Joshua Tree
3. Arcade Fire - Funeral
4. Pearl Jam - Ten
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
6. The Who - Who's Next
7. Radiohead - The Bends
8. Blur - Parklife
9. Oasis- Definitely, Maybe
10. Bob Marley - Legend

Honorable Mentions:

Peter Gabriel - So
The Verve - Urban Hyms
Muse - Absolution
Ryan Adams- Rock N Roll

Yeah, that was a great time. For a nice comparison, here's the thread with the individual lists: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...time-listmania-top-100-individual-191030.html (the first post also contains the link to the brilliant countdown)
It might be interesting to see how people are voting now compared to how they did last year.

That was so much fun! :drool:

I don't think my all-time list has really changed, so copying from that thread:

U2 - Achtung Baby
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
The Beatles - Abbey Road
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
Radiohead - OK Computer
Led Zeppelin - IV
U2 - The Joshua Tree
The Beatles - Revolver
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
The Who - Quadrophenia

I had Dark Side at #1 in that thread but really, Achtung is. No fucking contest!

A few outside the Top 10:

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
Radiohead - The Bends
The Doors - The Doors
Pearl Jam - No Code/Yield
Metallica - Master Of Puppets

My top-10-all-time-of-the-moment. :wink:

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
3. Radiohead - Kid A
4. Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
5. Pearl Jam - Backspacer
6. Neil Young - Harvest Moon
7. John Lennon - Imagine
8. R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
9. U2 - The Joshua Tree
10. Arcade Fire - Funeral

in no particular order:

U2 - Achtung Baby
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Beatles - Abbey Road
U2 - Unforgettable Fire
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Pearl Jam - Ten
Depeche Mode - Violater
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

what the hell was i thinking? replace Depeche Mode with:

Doves - Lost Souls

My Top 10 :love:

1. Cafe Tacuba - RE
2. Barbra Streisand - Just For The Record
3. U2 - The Best Of 1980-1990
4. Soft Cell - Non - Stop Erotic Cabaret
5. The Beatles - Anthology #3
6. No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
7. Erasure - Erasure Pop! 20 hits
8. The Smiths - The Smiths
9. Naked Eyes - The Best Of
10. Depeche Mode - Violator

1. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
2. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
3. God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright
4. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes
5. Autechre - Amber
6. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
7. No-Man - Together We're Stranger
8. Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
9. Bass Communion - Bass Communion I
10. Enigma - Love, Sensuality, Devotion (It's a compilation, but oh well.)

At this present moment. I might have them ordered differently or something else in there next week.

#1) Achtung Baby - U2
In no particular order:
OK Computer - Radiohead
Automatic for the People - R.E.M.
Dog Man Star - Suede
Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
Supernature - Goldfrapp
Faded Seaside Glamour - Delays
Lost Souls - Doves
London Calling - The Clash
The Joshua Tree - U2

Honorable mentions:
Exile on Main St. - The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin II/In Through the Out Door - Led Zeppelin
In Utero - Nirvana
No Line on the Horizon/Zooropa/Rattle and Hum/All That You Can't Leave Behind/How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - U2
Be Here Now - Oasis
Desire - Bob Dylan
Doolittle - Pixies
Different Class - Pulp
Toys In the Attic/Rocks/Pump/Honkin' on Bobo - Aerosmith
Elephant - The White Stripes
Everything's the Rush - Delays
XTRMNTR/Give Out But Don't Give Up - Primal Scream
Coming Up - Suede
Kid A/In Rainbows - Radiohead
The Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
Out of Time/Monster/New Adventures In Hi-Fi/Up/Around the Sun - R.E.M.
American Idiot - Green Day
Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea - PJ Harvey
The Great Escape - Blur
Here Comes The Tears - The Tears
Confessions on a Dance Floor - Madonna

You know what... just put this all together in one big list with Achtung as #1.

1. Led Zeppelin III:drool:
2. Achtung Baby
3. Led Zeppelin IV
4. The Joshua Tree
5. Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
6. Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
7. The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers
8. AC/DC - Back in Black
9. Alice in Chains - Dirt
10. Rush - 2112

This is pretty much impossible, but what the hell, I've got the time...

1. U2 -Acthung Baby
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. Pixies - Doolittle
4. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
5. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
6. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
7. Tom Waits - Small Change
8. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
9. REM - Murmur
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs -Show Your Bones

Honourable Mentions:

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Sonic Youth - Dirty
Brian Eno -Apollo

I know I've answered this question before some time ago - and this will probably be different as it is a moving target for me...

Achtung Baby - U2
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Souvlaki - Slowdive
The Bends - Radiohead
Heaven or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins
Room on Fire - The Strokes
Lonesome Sky - The Lost Patrol
Serpent's Egg - Dead Can Dance
The Joshua Tree - U2
Life's Rich Pageant - REM

1) Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
2) Over the Rhine - Ohio
3) Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes
4) The Low Anthem - Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
5) Joe Purdy - Joe Purdy
6) Pearl Jam - Ten
7) Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
8) Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
9) Aimee Mann - Lost in Space
10) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

U2-Achtung Baby
U2-Boy
U2-The Joshua Tree
Bob Dylan-Blood on the Tracks
Bob Dylan-The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan-Oh Mercy
Kings of Leon-Youth and Young Manhood
Arctic Monkeys-Favourite Worst Nightmare
The White Stripes-White Blood Cells
The Beatles-Abbey Road
The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico
Coldplay-A Rush of Blood to the Head

That's 12 :reject:

Changes constantly, but here goes:

1. U2 - Achtung Baby: This is the most beautiful album I've ever heard. Such a dark, heartbreaking record and such a groovy one at the same time. You feel like you're at a party, but you just know that you've been looking at the wrong girl for too long, and you're going to be in for it when you get home. Every song has a double meaning, all centered around a broken relationship. Our boys at their best.

2. Metallica - Master of Puppets: Heavy metal, despite what the U2 fans may think, is not a genre of mindless screaming and guitar wankery. Not when done correctly. This is heavy metal at it's finest: aggressive yet atmospheric. For every bit of anger, there's a moment of sorrow to go with it. Masterfully written and executed. The lyrics take on manipulation. The songs just sound good. Listen to "Orion". Best instrumental I've heard.

3. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run: This album sounds like being a young man America during the summer. It's filled with images of escape, cars blazing down highways, and girls in the summer. It's got just about everything a young man deals with in the summer: love, sex (see the last verse of Jungleland), violence, friendship, betrayal, etc. Just a beautiful, cinematic album. I listen to it all summer long, it's like a movie that I'm living.

4. Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker: This album is what it says it is. His most aching collection of country tunes, sung well and produced beautifully. "Oh My Sweet Carolina" ranks among my favorite songs of all time. And "In My Time of Need" is the best song Johnny Cash never sang.

5. The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street: This album is my favorite Stones record because it seems to be the Stones at their most experimental and most carefree. "Rocks Off" is the perfect album opener, and "Tumbling Dice" is the Rolling Stones best song, in my opinion. The album just SOUNDS dark, it SOUNDS druggy. Check out "I Just Want To See His Face", it sounds like an old church tent revival in the South. And "Shine A Light" is pure soul.

6. The Killers - Sam's Town: I might like this one so much because of the obvious Springsteen influence, but I love this record. Top to bottom, I think the songs are fantastic. Brandon Flowers sings with such urgency and the songs are so big, they're so epic. Check out "Why Do I Keep Counting?"

7. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness: This is the album of my adolescence. I listen to these songs, and some of them remind me of the town I grew up in. When I hear "To Forgive", I see the old High's Dairy Store and the drug dealers who used to hang out behind it. I remember that back alley. I remember sneaking to girl's houses, watching my older friends take them into the back rooms and wondering what went on back there and what it was like. This album sounds like me, growing up. It's one of those nostalgia things.

8. The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound: This is one that I thought would leave me after the springtime, but still hasn't. I haven't taken it out of the CD player since. Punk rock meets Springsteen = good tunes.

9. Green Day - Dookie: I like this album for the same reasons I like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. It just takes me back to a place in time that I liked very much.

10. Jay-Z - The Blueprint: In my opinion, the finest hip hop album made to date. Jay at his most vulnerable, arrogant, poppy, and dominant. He's the King now, but this is where he was crowned, over a bed of Kanye West's beautiful soul beats.

Honorable mention:

U2 - Zooropa: Listening to Zooropa is like going to another world. It's so sonically weird and beautiful that you don't know exactly what you're listening to, but the soul is so prominent underneath all those trash synths. The stories are bizarre, but even something like Babyface, a story of a man in love with the woman on TV, is such a lonely story underneath that pop exterior. And when Bono sings "and I threw away the key" at the end of The First Time as Brian Eno's piano comes in, I get caught up in it everytime. And "The Wanderer" still holds its place as one of Bono's best lyrics to date.

1. The Beatles - Revolver
2. The Verve - A Northern Soul
3. U2 - Achtung Baby
4. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
5. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
6. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
7. Doves - Lost Souls
8. The Charlatans - Tellin Stories
9. Echo & the Bunnymen - Evergreen
10. The Verve - Forth

Wanted to bump this thread from a long time ago! My top ten changed from last time. 1. U2 Achtung Baby. 2. Peter Gabriel Security. 3. The Kinks Lola Versus Powerman 4. Talking Heads More Songs About Building And Furniture 5. Blur 13 6. Guster Parachute 7. Pearl Jam Ten 8. Arcade Fire Funeral 9. Tears For Fears Songs From the Big Chair 10. Aztec Camera Frestonia

Looking back through the first couple pages of this thread, I'm really tempted to do the Interference Top 100 Albums thing again at the start of 2012...it's been over three years now, which I guess is enough...but I'll probably try to get it stickied throughout the forum this time, just so we can have more lists. I realize there will be differences in every list from last time (Peef and Ashley were especially unhappy with their lists), but we've lost a lot of posters since then.

I would personally like to see how everyone list has changed since then. Hey, Lemonmelon, I gave you a challenge on a"dead thread" the "recommend a record" thread to listen to Scattered Trees' Sympathy. I was wondering if I could still keep that to you and you could recommend me a record.

1. The Beatles - Revolver
2. The Verve - A Northern Soul
3. U2 - Achtung Baby
4. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
5. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
6. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
7. Doves - Lost Souls
8. The Charlatans - Tellin Stories
9. Echo & the Bunnymen - Evergreen
10. The Verve - Forth
Good list, but you might want to check out some Brit-indie bands of the 90s sometime... :sexywink:

I usually pass on these list-whatever threads, but these kinds of ones are quite interesting. Anyway, here's my ten for now if not including compilations:

The Beatles / White Album
John Lennon Plastic Ono Band

John Coltrane -- Blue Train
U2 -- The Joshua Tree
U2 -- Achtung Baby
Bob Dylan -- Bringing It All Back Home
Prince & the Revolution -- Purple Rain
The Stone Roses
Wynton Marsalis -- Black Codes From The Underground
Sting -- Nothing Like The Sun

If I were including comps, I'd probably have The Beatles Rock 'n' Roll Music Vol. 1, Bob Marley's Legend and Natural Mystic, and The Byrds' Greatest Hits. Also, I guess some of the music I enjoy actually pre-dates "albums" as such...

Back
Top Bottom