What are everyone's favorite albums of 2014? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
One of my favorites, but I won't be doing a list...partially because it's hard to compile and partially because I have no ratings system online for most of the cassette releases I purchased (which makes up a hefty chunk of new music that I like).

Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:05 PM
I collect tapes from tape labels. It's a thing. So is Cassette Store Day.

And if it's about the "ratings system"...I use the site AlbumoftheYear for that, but mostly to keep track of what I listen to...they don't cover most of the cassette-type stuff, so I don't have any __/100 rating for any of those, nor would I care enough to do something like that on my own.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #78
45:33

Local Time: 04:05 AM
what the fuck could possibly possess you to buy cassettes?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The fact that they're very DIY and honestly have the coolest look of any of these physical media is one point. The other is that most of these releases only come out on cassette (aside from digitally, but many don't even end up there). Cheap price as well to support an artist and cassettes are fun to listen to as long as you have a player that works fine (I have a new twin-deck).

I know all about the format's problems and such, but for the most part I get a nice warm analog sound out of them with a certain kind of punch. I have cassettes from REM and The Replacements that honestly sound far better than the MP3s I have of that material in my library (or even some of the CDs given loudness wars issues on some of those remasters).

It's also a format I never really experienced until now. My first CD player that I got in the mid-90s had a twin deck, but I only really ever used them for recording over some Bible tapes with CDs for friends.

Mostly, I just liked building up a physical collection of albums I like and try to get everything that isn't insanely priced that I've loved from 2013-onward. And there's a lot of great music coming out on the hundreds of tape labels that are out there. Pitchfork themselves gave Honorable Mentions to at least two releases this year that first came out on cassette for tape labels and other music sites have even listed tape label albums in their year-end tallies. There's definitely a wealth of great music on them.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 AM   #80
Vocal parasite

I thought the revival of vinyl was daft enough, but this new cassette niche is simply absurd.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Cassettes are garbage. The sound quality is considerably worse than both CDs and vinyl.

The most idiotic media revival to be sure.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 AM   #82
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
The fact that they're very DIY and honestly have the coolest look of any of these physical media is one point. The other is that most of these releases only come out on cassette (aside from digitally, but many don't even end up there). Cheap price as well to support an artist and cassettes are fun to listen to as long as you have a player that works fine (I have a new twin-deck).

I know all about the format's problems and such, but for the most part I get a nice warm analog sound out of them with a certain kind of punch. I have cassettes from REM and The Replacements that honestly sound far better than the MP3s I have of that material in my library (or even some of the CDs given loudness wars issues on some of those remasters).

It's also a format I never really experienced until now. My first CD player that I got in the mid-90s had a twin deck, but I only really ever used them for recording over some Bible tapes with CDs for friends.

Mostly, I just liked building up a physical collection of albums I like and try to get everything that isn't insanely priced that I've loved from 2013-onward. And there's a lot of great music coming out on the hundreds of tape labels that are out there. Pitchfork themselves gave Honorable Mentions to at least two releases this year that first came out on cassette for tape labels and other music sites have even listed tape label albums in their year-end tallies. There's definitely a wealth of great music on them.
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #83
War Child

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I thought the revival of vinyl was daft enough, but this new cassette niche is simply absurd.
Slow down there cowboy......vinyl is not daft, it is still the greatest sounding medium for music.

Why Vinyl Is the Only Worthwhile Way to Own Music
Old 12-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:05 PM
Has anyone mentioned Ben Howard's latest album? I think it's absolutely phenomenal. My number one as of now.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Cassettes are garbage. The sound quality is considerably worse than both CDs and vinyl.

The most idiotic media revival to be sure.
The only true benefit of cassettes 30 years ago when they eliminated 8 tracks from our world was their size, being able to play them in these new things called Walkmen, and you could keep a bunch in your car and play them in a cassette deck that didn't take up too much space on the dashboard. That benefit was wiped out when digital music came into our lives, there's no reason for a revival.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

I loved cassettes when I was a kid, and I always thought they were better than CDs, simply because they were much harder to break (though of course they deteriorate in quality over time). IF they don't have too much on them and you only listen to it once, they are of better quality than CDs, but I mean, we're literally talking about diminishing returns, here.

I get the idea that Vinyl is great to collect because you get such a large image along with them. There is nothing about a cassette that I look at and thing, "Ah, yes, this is visually appealing", save for the nostalgia factor.

Up until two years ago, I still had a car with a tape deck, so I have a huge box of cassette tapes and I'm loathe to ever get rid of them, but besides a novelty Wampire single I purchased, and Awesome Mix Vol. 1, I can't begin to even imagine that I'd ever buy another cassette tape.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #87
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
Slow down there cowboy......vinyl is not daft, it is still the greatest sounding medium for music.

Why Vinyl Is the Only Worthwhile Way to Own Music
Hey, I'm old enough (or just from a poor enough background that couldn't afford a new stereo system) to have grown up on vinyl. I know what it's like and it's a pain in the arse. It never should've been revived. Most of the claimed benefits are audiophiles talking through their hat, and I couldn't give a toss about large album artwork.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

For what it's worth, there isn't really a "cassette revival" so to speak. For this vinyl resurgence it basically required affordable players to become available, something that had been lacking for most of the 90's/early 00's...there's been no new cassette players coming out (you literally can't even buy a working portable one that's new), so I don't expect the format to really rebound.

What has been going on is the existence of tape labels for decades on end and it leads to a lot of unique under-the-radar music releases. That's why I like it.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #89
The Male

Vinyl is by far and away the most collectible format. It looks great. At this point, the collectible nature of vinyl is the only legitimate reason I have for buying music. Now that streaming services and 4G LTE exist (not to mention bluetooth and aux holes), I don't see the point in buying music unless it's in a format I collect.

Plus, vinyl gives you a more unique sound profile to differentiate it from MP3s. CDs are still coldly digital, so it's a lateral move.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #90
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hey, I'm old enough (or just from a poor enough background that couldn't afford a new stereo system) to have grown up on vinyl. I know what it's like and it's a pain in the arse. It never should've been revived. Most of the claimed benefits are audiophiles talking through their hat, and I couldn't give a toss about large album artwork.
This. So much.

And cassettes were something you recorded songs on to take in your car in a convenient format. Like cds are now. Which is why I still love cds because I drive all over creation every summer.