What are everyone's favorite albums of 2014? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:43 AM
I mean, that's gotta be a first. An album they didn't even review when it first came out has two songs on their top songs list and is in their top albums list. What, were they scared at first to give a Taylor Swift album an 8.5 and then, in two months time, decided it was ok to admit it and name it one of the 30 best albums of the year even though they'd never given it or her the time of day before? So strange.

Also strange cuz her previous three albums are all legitimately better than this one.

Don't get me wrong, though. Still ecstatic that she's cracked her way into stuff like this. It's funny, and awesome, and weirdly both surprising and not so surprising at the same time.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

But Fearless, SN, and Red all shit on 1989. Still really proud of her. Fuck you guys. Let's go.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:55 AM   #63
The Male

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Pitchfork doesn't review white pop stars. No Taylor, no Katy Perry, no Kesha, no Adele.

Meanwhile, they just gave a Nicki Minaj album with Anaconda on it a 7.5.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #64
45:33

Local Time: 04:43 AM
I do find that strange and really lame, GAF.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself this year. I haven't listened to as much music and my end of year list is gonna suck, because there's a ton of albums I haven't heard that I know I'd love.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #65
Blue Crack Distributor

P4K always does this. It's somehow "edgy" pop, so it's cool.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah Taylor Swift doesn't get enough press. A damn shame Pitchfork didn't make some time for her.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

It's a really stupid blind spot they have, though. And then they give these singles all this praise at the end of the year.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Pitchfork doesn't review white pop stars. No Taylor, no Katy Perry, no Kesha, no Adele.
No, I know that. (Although they have reviewed Gaga). I wasn't surprised at all that they didn't review it originally and I'm not mad about it. What I am surprised at is how high it ranked considering they'd never even mentioned her before. It's just kind of an out of nowhere love fest. It's cool. Just weird.

I mean, they review, what, 1000 albums every year? Making the top 50 is a big deal, and they give one of those spots to an artist they've never mentioned or reviewed before. That's all I was trying to say last night, probably didn't explain it very well, and it's also not really a big deal at all.

I'm watching Home Alone.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

Nothing they do makes sense. Look at True Romance getting a BNM and then not making the top 100 at the end of the year. It's just weird.

We watched Home Alone 2 the other night.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #70
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Yeah Taylor Swift doesn't get enough press. A damn shame Pitchfork didn't make some time for her.
A cultural crime if you ask me.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Pitchfork rated Benji as the 9th best album of 2010-2014
Pitchfork rated Benji as the 7th best album of 2014

There's a mathematical reasoning for that, beyond the fact that some writers may have participated in only one of the two lists.

1) The decade list was published well before 2014 was nearing its end. Releases from artists such as Run The Jewels were still being waited on.

2) The people that really liked Benji could have really, really liked it and therefore ranked it high among the other releases from this decade whereas someone that liked other albums from 2014 more might consider 2014 to be generally weaker than years past, so they might rank, say War on Drugs much lower in their half-decade lists than the people that really liked Benji ranked theirs.

Similar situation happened last time around when Funeral finished first for 2004 and then ended up like 35th a few months later in the half-decade list (finishing behind Smile which it beat in the other list).
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I'm not seeing the Cymbals Eat Guitars album on any lists.
One of my favorites, but I won't be doing a list...partially because it's hard to compile and partially because I have no ratings system online for most of the cassette releases I purchased (which makes up a hefty chunk of new music that I like).
Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #73
45:33

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
There's a mathematical reasoning for that, beyond the fact that some writers may have participated in only one of the two lists.

1) The decade list was published well before 2014 was nearing its end. Releases from artists such as Run The Jewels were still being waited on.

2) The people that really liked Benji could have really, really liked it and therefore ranked it high among the other releases from this decade whereas someone that liked other albums from 2014 more might consider 2014 to be generally weaker than years past, so they might rank, say War on Drugs much lower in their half-decade lists than the people that really liked Benji ranked theirs.

Similar situation happened last time around when Funeral finished first for 2004 and then ended up like 35th a few months later in the half-decade list (finishing behind Smile which it beat in the other list).
Both of those points obviously make sense and I'm well aware of them, but how in the fuck that's "mathematical reasoning" is beyond me. It's a subjective list.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #74
The Male

Quote:
and partially because I have no ratings system online for most of the cassette releases I purchased (which makes up a hefty chunk of new music that I like).
Guhhh

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
One of my favorites, but I won't be doing a list...partially because it's hard to compile and partially because I have no ratings system online for most of the cassette releases I purchased (which makes up a hefty chunk of new music that I like).
Oh my God.

You're trolling, right? It's gotta be trolling.