What albums are you looking forward to in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Let's talk about it. What are your most highly anticipated music releases in the new year?

Here are some of mine off of the top:

Springsteen (should almost certainly be better and more interesting than Working On A Dream...even thought I still liked that album)
Taylor
Bloc Party
Lana Del Rey
Sleigh Bells
Cat Power
Janelle Monae
Something from Jack White that isn't super weird, and that features his songwriting (and not his drumming) prominently. I'd kill for a Jack White solo album.

I know there are a bunch I'm forgetting, but I just smoked a little bit of weed and can't remember them right now.

Things we supposedly know are coming out soonish:

The XX
Sigur Ros
The Shins
Cursive
Of Montreal
Air
Shearwater
Andrew Bird

Ahhhhh, The Shins! Yes!

That's definitely one of the ones I forgot.

Also, forgot to mention the possibility of a new Kanye joint, and a new Watch The Throne joint. Let's go.

I forgot to mention the Craig Finn solo album, too. That shit comes out in like three weeks.

Great find there. Bat for Lashes is definitely my most anticipated album for the coming year. And I think that "Breaking the Yearlings" is already the frontrunner for song title of 2012.

Wow, that Shearwater album cover is awesome.

Shearwater-Animal-Joy.jpg

Alcest's third album is out in a couple of days (and leaked online yesterday), and I'm also incredibly pumped for Les Discrets at the end of January, Pinback sometime later this year, and Alpine's debut in a couple of months.

Keen to see if the Sleigh Bells, School Of Seven Bells, and Big Pink albums turn out to be good. Curious if the new Blackfield album will be a return to form, but given that it's now Aviv Geffen's project rather than an equal balance between him and Steven Wilson, I don't expect much, since it was Aviv's lyrics that made the last album blow.

And like the last ... many years, I'll quietly hope that this year will finally be the year that Martin Phillipps completes The Chills' next album. Yeah, I'm not tremendously optimistic on that front. It has somewhat become the Chinese Democracy of New Zealand music, I think. I guess I'll be looking to the new generation of Flying Nun bands to put out something good. Maybe somebody like Popstrangers or Surf Friends will deliver the goods. Though the old vanguard will still be represented by The Verlaines, whose new album I hope will be more like their raw and energetic live shows than their over-produced and bland last album.

I'm excited for Pinback if it actually comes out. Then again, their last album was so mediocre, that I'm not sure what to expect. At least Rob Crow puts out good solo material still.

Huh, I still can't decide if Autumn Of The Seraphs or Summer In Abaddon is my favourite Pinback album. The two Information Retrieved EPs are pretty promising, though I'm not clear if anything on them is meant to be re-used on the new album or not.

Going off all but the "speculative" lists:

Andrew Bird
Lana Del Rey (more curious than excited, but yes, the hype has sucked me in)
Fanfarlo
The Shins
Sleigh Bells
Dirty Projectors
Metric
Sigur Ros
Bat For Lashes
Beach House
Gaslight Anthem
Hot Chip
Madonna
Janelle Monae
Muse
Vampire Weekend
The xx
Yeasayer

And, if the rumors are true, Springsteen.

I can't get excited about the Killers, because I haven't liked an album of theirs since Hot Fuss. I thought the last one was very close to awful, and the less said about Flowers' solo album, the better.

"Spring of 2011" has come and gone so I will continue into 2012 hoping for new Fiona.

Apparently, during a show she played at Largo with Jon Brion last month she said the album is finished and that she's "not the one holding it up." Then she shook an angry fist, whatever that means.

I could use some Phoenix, Grizzly Bear, and Fang Island by summer.

And it won't happen, but I'd love a surprise from Doves... :drool:

Lana, Grimes, and SVE in the early going. Nothing else matters.

Back
Top Bottom