What album did you just listen to from start to finish - the sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B000001E17.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

highway61revisited.jpg

After first listen, only 3 songs stuck... Like a Rolling Stone, Tombstone Blues and Desolation Row. I'll be listening to it a few more times at least to see if I like it and then go for the other albums. Generally I'm not a huge fan of this kind of folk rock but I do enjoy some specific Dylan songs. So who knows, maybe I'll get into it more!

highway61revisited.jpg

After first listen, only 3 songs stuck... Like a Rolling Stone, Tombstone Blues and Desolation Row. I'll be listening to it a few more times at least to see if I like it and then go for the other albums. Generally I'm not a huge fan of this kind of folk rock but I do enjoy some specific Dylan songs. So who knows, maybe I'll get into it more!

That's probably my favourite of his, so good luck!

That's probably my favourite of his, so good luck!

Thanks. I'm definitely hoping to get into it more and then maybe get Freewheelin next. I love that cover! Do I sound superficial? :wink: Actually I like a handful of his songs from Blood on the Tracks too. So I'll have to try that one out at some point!

As for just now, I finished...

51wGbZX-GWL.jpg

Aside from a few songs like the title track, Train In Vain, Hateful and Clampdown, I really can't get into this music. There is hardly any melody. And the worst part is the guy cannot sing. At least it was marginally better than the atrocity that was Never Mind The Bollocks. I suppose I don't get the appeal of punk rock.

Nice album cover though.

:ohmy: london calling is amaaaaaaaaaazing.

Agreed + 989098232908320985983438729390218

My all time favorite album.

Plus, Zootsuit, how can you mention liking Dylan and then in the following post say that Joe Strummer (I assume that's who you mean, as it's not always the same person singing in their albums) can't sing?

Had a big roadtrip this weekend (went to a wedding in Switzerland and back again), so lots of music to be played during the journey. This was today's selection on the road back:

Sly and The Family Stone - Greatest Hits
adcd81b0c8a004c9ce5ea110.L.jpg

Crowded House - Recurring Dream: The Very Best Of...
057a225b9da06b26b4f34110.L.jpg

Prince - Purple Rain
08c7a2c008a00ce53d7ea010.L.jpg

Jasper Steverlinck - Songs Of Innocence
51AWVJBkqUL._SS500_.jpg

Madonna - The Immaculate Collection
d183224128a04b8ec2dfa010.L.jpg

The Beatles - 1
80ddb220dca0d71b392c9010.L.jpg

Aside from a few songs like the title track, Train In Vain, Hateful and Clampdown, I really can't get into this music. There is hardly any melody. And the worst part is the guy cannot sing. At least it was marginally better than the atrocity that was Never Mind The Bollocks. I suppose I don't get the appeal of punk rock.

Nice album cover though.

London Calling is a great if insanely uneven and with a lot of filler; but it definitely has some amazing songs.

I always find it funny when people call London Calling Punk Rock; if the Clash weren't regarded as being a punk band and the album was by some random band no one would ever call it punk.

London Calling is all killer, no filler. :madwife:

DeVotchKa - 'How It Ends'

First time through it, it was absolutely fantastic.

I wish I could agree...but I can't. It makes one hell of a 12 track album though

In all honesty, I hated the album the first few times through. I was into what you imagine in your head as punk at the time, and was hoping for a The Clash pt. 2. After I got past that it wasn't what I wanted to be, I was able to enjoy it for what it was. I too wasn't a big fan of a number of tracks, but I've realized in the last couple years that I even enjoy those now. So I can understand where both you and Zootsuit are both coming from to some extent.

:hi5:

In all honesty, I hated the album the first few times through. I was into what you imagine in your head as punk at the time, and was hoping for a The Clash pt. 2. After I got past that it wasn't what I wanted to be, I was able to enjoy it for what it was. I too wasn't a big fan of a number of tracks, but I've realized in the last couple years that I even enjoy those now. So I can understand where both you and Zootsuit are both coming from to some extent.

:hi5:

London Calling so anti-punk at times and it's all the better for it. Honestly I think everyone needs to own London Calling, it might not be the best album in my mind but when it's good god is it amazing.

I mean London Calling, Rudie Can't Fail, Lost In a Supermarket, The Guns of Brixton, Death or Glory, Train in Vain :drool: Music doesn't get much better than that

London Calling is probably in my top ten favorite albums list. The only song I don't particularly like is Jimmy Jazz.

London Calling, The Guns of Brixton, Death or Glory, The Card Cheat, Train in Vain ... it's fantastic.

Jimmy Jazz is easily my least favourite song on it.

I get confused when people say like. When you guys say you like a song do you mean it's like a decent song, or a great song or something? I mean on my iTunes I'd say I like a 3 star song but an album of all 3 star songs would be just meh to me; and I'd consider a 3 star song filler on any good album.

I'd say like implies moderate enjoyment. A 3 or sometimes 4 star song, if that's the scale you want to go on.

I'd say like implies moderate enjoyment. A 3 or sometimes 4 star song, if that's the scale you want to go on.

Yeah I'd probably agree; I just always find it so confusing when people say they like every song on an album and that makes the album amazing. Making an album with all songs I like isn't hard but doesn't make the album appeal to me much

Filler in my brain is....filler. Useless tracks you don't like that just fill up space. To say you like something and then say it's filler doesn't make any sense to how I think of it.

Coldplay - 'Viva La Vida Loca'

Filler in my brain is....filler. Useless tracks you don't like that just fill up space. To say you like something and then say it's filler doesn't make any sense to how I think of it.

To me filler is a decent song on an album which is mostly great-brilliant songs.

pink_floyd-animals-frontal1.jpg

First listen; just about to give it my second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom