What album did you just listen to from start to finish - the sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed + 989098232908320985983438729390218

My all time favorite album.

Plus, Zootsuit, how can you mention liking Dylan and then in the following post say that Joe Strummer (I assume that's who you mean, as it's not always the same person singing in their albums) can't sing?

Well... I agree that Dylan doesn't have a good singing voice either but at least with songs like Tangled Up In Blue, Like A Rolling Stone, Blowin' In The Wind, Times They Are A Changin' (those are probably my handful of favorites from him) etc., there is some sort of discernible melody! :crack: I dunno, this is incredibly subjective but... melody always appeals to me way more than and way before lyrics do. And aside from the 4 or 5 songs I mentioned that I do like from London Calling, the rest seem tuneless and to make it worse Strummer's singing voice is horrible! Although I realize that a good singing voice doesn't seem to be considered all that important in punk rock. But like you said, maybe the album's a grower. This was only my first listen of the whole thing. I'll give it a couple more listens at least before deciding that it's just not my cup of tea.

Earlier in the evening:

Def_Leppard_-_On_Through_the_Night.jpg

That album cover is way better than the actual album is! :lol: It's probably the coolest looking cover of the NWOBHM era but the songs themselves are just okay in my opinion. Rock Brigade is awesome though! I can't get enough of that one. :love: Hello America is good too. But the rest? meh.. :slant:

Just now:

WhosNext-778537.jpg

Been listening to this one almost everyday! :drool:

The Killers -Hot Fuss

smack me upside the head for forgetting to include the name of the cd :reject:
haha it's okay, just messing with you :wink:

That album cover is way better than the actual album is! :lol: It's probably the coolest looking cover of the NWOBHM era but the songs themselves are just okay in my opinion. Rock Brigade is awesome though! I can't get enough of that one. :love: Hello America is good too. But the rest? meh.. :slant:
yeah, on through the night is okay, but not great. high 'n' dry is better, though the stuff from their classic era is better. i've got all their 80s albums (ooh, all four!) and i think i like pyromania the best.

Pyromania fucking kicks ass! I think it could actually be even more metal than On Through.. on certain songs. Stagefright anyone? :rockon: Billy's Got A Gun is one of my favorite Leppard songs ever. They seriously fucking ruled with Pyromania and Hysteria.

same here! it's a bummer they ended up scrapping everything and going with someone else. oh well, another musician i like did that with another producer i like (in this case, tony visconti).

i've been on a real inxs kick (no pun intended)

I get on INXS kicks from time to time as well. Such a fantastic and underrated band! I've listened to the "Shine Like It Does" set so many times I'm surprised the disks aren't ruined. I can't believe it's been almost 11 years.

I listened to this on the ride in this morning:

31JxUr9t9ZL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Well... I agree that Dylan doesn't have a good singing voice either but at least with songs like Tangled Up In Blue, Like A Rolling Stone, Blowin' In The Wind, Times They Are A Changin' (those are probably my handful of favorites from him) etc., there is some sort of discernible melody! :crack: I dunno, this is incredibly subjective but... melody always appeals to me way more than and way before lyrics do. And aside from the 4 or 5 songs I mentioned that I do like from London Calling, the rest seem tuneless and to make it worse Strummer's singing voice is horrible! Although I realize that a good singing voice doesn't seem to be considered all that important in punk rock. But like you said, maybe the album's a grower. This was only my first listen of the whole thing. I'll give it a couple more listens at least before deciding that it's just not my cup of tea.

I think this is just a case of everyone having different tastes musically. This is actually the first time I've ever heard someone say they think he can't sing or that there are no melodies in the song. If anything, I'd say the exact opposite, and that's one of the reasons why their music was so important in its respective genre and for the time.

Fleet Foxes - the album and the EP

I listened to those again back to back at work. And I don't understand why the consensus is that the EP is better than the album. I really like 10/11 songs on the album whereas I only really like 3/5 songs on the EP.

I listened to those again back to back at work. And I don't understand why the consensus is that the EP is better than the album. I really like 10/11 songs on the album whereas I only really like 3/5 songs on the EP.

I still haven't heard the EP. :sad: I am a terrible fan.

I am terrible at being a man.

Agreed.
:happy:

Tourista,

I like the album considerably more than I initially did. For me, having been familiar with the tracks from the EP for a few months prior to the album coming out, I was expecting something different out of the album than what we got. I've gotten back whatever my preconceived notions were of what it would be and like it for what it is. That said, I still think the middle 3 songs on the EP are right up there in quality with the best 3 tracks on the album.

Tourista,

I like the album considerably more than I initially did. For me, having been familiar with the tracks from the EP for a few months prior to the album coming out, I was expecting something different out of the album than what we got. I've gotten back whatever my preconceived notions were of what it would be and like it for what it is. That said, I still think the middle 3 songs on the EP are right up there in quality with the best 3 tracks on the album.

The middle 3 on the EP are the three I really like, so :up:
As for the album, the only one I don't care for as much is Meadowlark

The first track on the EP is a grower. I didn't care for it much at first, but I like it quite a bit now. It's great live as well.

LeMeL, I think you'll dig a the EP if you dig a the album. :up:

I'd like to hear some elaboration on why you think that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the album, I just want to hear your thoughts.

It was the album that spearheaded that whole, for lack of a better description, "garage rock" resurgence at the start of the decade. It made catchy, fun guitar based rock cool again. Record labels started looking for and accepting more and more bands of youngsters with guitars, because Is This It showed that a group of that kind could hit the mainstream. And hit it big. There would have been no Franz Ferdinand, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, etc., etc. without it. (Some might say that would have been a good thing, I would not). On a more shallow level, their image when they came out was pretty influential on the whole hipster crowd. Not to mention that the music is great.

Basically, Is This It was the rebirth of cool.

1966-BuffaloSpringfield.jpg

I'm liking this album more and more on further listens! :up: Don't know why the band wasn't quite satisfied with it.

:love: :bow:
(and yes, I've read your opinion on it. I still think it's fucking ace! Like A Rolling Stone, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Desolation Row, I can go on with all the other tracks too)

Tindersticks - Curtains
61qCdCg87cL._SS500_.jpg

Faces - A Nod Is As Good As A Wink... To A Blind Horse...
a364729fd7a08c2831add010.L.jpg

Never realised how much Chris Robinson (from The Black Crowes) sounds like Faces-era Rod Stewart. And yes, that's a compliment. :)

:love: :bow:
(and yes, I've read your opinion on it. I still think it's fucking ace! Like A Rolling Stone, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Desolation Row, I can go on with all the other tracks too)

Oh I didn't say I dislike it! :wink: It just didn't sound instantly classic to me like say, Who's Next. But it is growing on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom