What album did you just listen to from start to finish - the sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sellout.jpg

First Impression: It started out great... kinda lost me in the middle there :uhoh: the album is a bit too long I think. Maybe it grows on repeated listens? But there were definitely highlights every now and then including ...Shaky Hand, ...Miles and Sunrise. Loved all the ads and the Radio London bits though! I think many of the actual songs haven't made a big impression on me yet.

sellout.jpg

First Impression: It started out great... kinda lost me in the middle there :uhoh: the album is a bit too long I think. Maybe it grows on repeated listens? But there were definitely highlights every now and then including ...Shaky Hand, ...Miles and Sunrise. Loved all the ads and the Radio London bits though! I think many of the actual songs haven't made a big impression on me yet.

The album has only 13 songs, and it's about 37 minutes long...I don't know how you could think that's too long. :lol: The other 10 are bonus tracks.

There are some good moments scattered among those bonus tracks but, really, it's the first 13 you should focus on. The album had to grow on me as well, and now I think it's their best studio album. It's catchy, fun, and quite addicting.

I'm not a big Who's Next guy. The great songs are amazing (Baba, Love Ain't For Keeping, Won't Get Fooled Again, The Song Is Over), but I just can't get into Getting In Tune, Going Mobile, and My Wife. Quadrophenia is a notch better overall, and certainly more coherent.

There are some good moments scattered among those bonus tracks but, really, it's the first 13 you should focus on. The album had to grow on me as well, and now I think it's their best studio album. It's catchy, fun, and quite addicting.

On the second listen now. Yeah I really think they should do a better job of labeling the bonus tracks so they stand out from the album proper. Otherwise, first time listeners like myself could easily get turned away by the length, not knowing about the bonus section. Of course, I would always give the album a second chance but others may not, you know? The exact same thing happened to me with Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle where I thought it was too long, and it turned out that half the tracks I was listening to was bonus!

I'm not a big Who's Next guy. The great songs are amazing (Baba, Love Ain't For Keeping, Won't Get Fooled Again, The Song Is Over), but I just can't get into Getting In Tune, Going Mobile, and My Wife. Quadrophenia is a notch better overall, and certainly more coherent.

Yeah, to say I disagree with this would be a huge understatement, so I'll leave it at that.

:angry: It's not that I hate the album or anything, it's just 3rd instead of undisputed 1st. An "A-" instead of an "A+++++++++++++++".

Quadrophenia fucks shit up, I agree.

I'd say that and Who's Next are about tied for me.

Listened to Who's Next last night for the first time...

Baba O'Riley :drool:
Love Ain't For Keeping :drool:
My Wife :drool: (Hilarious! Gotta love their humor!) (first listen)
The Song Is Over :drool: (first listen)
Going Mobile :drool: (first listen)
Behind Blue Eyes :drool:
Won't Get Fooled Again :drool: Possibly the greatest rock song ever! :bow:

I think the above are all 5 stars worthy. Bargain is good but doesn't quite cut it, in my opinion. And Getting In Tune seems kinda lightweight. The whole album is so cohesive! :love: I guess it's about leaving the past behind and embracing new beginnings. I think the album deserves all the hype and legendary status it has earned over the years! It's simply put, epic! Can't believe I waited this long to get it. I think I was put off by radio overplay of Bargain a few years back and so never bothered to get it. :doh: Anyway, I'm really really happy I got it now!

Listened to Who's Next last night for the first time...

Baba O'Riley :drool:
Love Ain't For Keeping :drool:
My Wife :drool: (Hilarious! Gotta love their humor!) (first listen)
The Song Is Over :drool: (first listen)
Going Mobile :drool: (first listen)
Behind Blue Eyes :drool:
Won't Get Fooled Again :drool: Possibly the greatest rock song ever! :bow:

I think the above are all 5 stars worthy. Bargain is good but doesn't quite cut it, in my opinion. And Getting In Tune seems kinda lightweight. The whole album is so cohesive! :love: I guess it's about leaving the past behind and embracing new beginnings. I think the album deserves all the hype and legendary status it has earned over the years! It's simply put, epic! Can't believe I waited this long to get it. I think I was put off by radio overplay of Bargain a few years back and so never bothered to get it. :doh: Anyway, I'm really really happy I got it now!

I've also spent some time with the album since yesterday, seeing if I was wrong about any of the tracks. I honestly don't believe I was, but a few tracks sounded even better than I remembered:

Baba O Riley (5/5): Well, duh. One of the most epic, brilliantly-structured, and moving songs I've ever heard by anyone, ever. Enough said.
Bargain (4.5/5): Zoots underrated this one. The lyrics are a picture of longing and desperation, and this song proves to be one of the most romantic the band ever wrote. There's a whole lot of power in the music as well. Overplayed? Yeah. But that doesn't diminish the quality of a great song.
Love Ain't For Keeping (5/5): Underrated by everyone. This entire album feels restless, but here, the band is as peaceful as they've ever been. Great melody, and I love the imagery here.
My Wife (4/5): Hilarious, yes, but for some reason this track sort of slides off my back. I do really enjoy the horns in the "she's coming" bit, and the lyrics push the rating up a bit. But it's definitely lightweight.
The Song Is Over (4.5/5): The only thing that drops this song's rating down even slightly is the fact that, in my opinion, there isn't enough song here to justify the nearly 6.5 minute runtime. The band starts to repeat themselves a bit towards the end. However, everything they repeat is basically perfect, so I have no issue with that.
Getting In Tune (3.5/5): Eh. I find the first verse cringeworthy, but it builds towards something enjoyable enough. I wouldn't call the song lightweight, just not chill-inducing like so many of the others.
Going Mobile (3.5/5): Now this one is certainly lightweight. More fun than Getting In Tune, but the lyrics let this one down. That, and Townshend sounds like he's having more fun than the rest of us.
Behind Blue Eyes (4/5): Great, yeah. But, in a way, this is the One of their catalogue; you can't argue that it's anything less than quality, but it doesn't move me like it should. I don't care for Roger's vocal performance here either. I would have preferred Townshend for a song like this.
Won't Get Fooled Again (5/5): Fucking epic stuff right here. Like Baba, its musical structure is superb, and the lyrics are just...wow. Sly's There's A Riot Goin' is supposed to be THE world-weary "how could we be so naive" record of 1971, but it turns out that Who's Next matches it beat-for-beat. YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

51P9aT-EYZL._SS400_.jpg

Had to check it out for curiousity sake. There's actually a couple of songs on there with really good riffs.

Unfortunately, those few songs are surrounded by tons of filler, which is typical latter day AC/DC.

I wouldn't even bother with any AC/DC album post-Back In Black. If the singles are of diminishing quality, what about the albums themselves? I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom