What album did you just listen to from start to finish - the sequel - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #211
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
 
Carek1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: wishing I was somewhere else....
Posts: 114,531
Local Time: 09:00 AM
The Killers -Hot Fuss

smack me upside the head for forgetting to include the name of the cd
__________________

__________________
Carek1230 is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #212
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:00 AM
65daysofstatic - 'The Destruction of Small Ideas'
__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #213
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Agreed + 989098232908320985983438729390218

My all time favorite album.

Plus, Zootsuit, how can you mention liking Dylan and then in the following post say that Joe Strummer (I assume that's who you mean, as it's not always the same person singing in their albums) can't sing?
Well... I agree that Dylan doesn't have a good singing voice either but at least with songs like Tangled Up In Blue, Like A Rolling Stone, Blowin' In The Wind, Times They Are A Changin' (those are probably my handful of favorites from him) etc., there is some sort of discernible melody! I dunno, this is incredibly subjective but... melody always appeals to me way more than and way before lyrics do. And aside from the 4 or 5 songs I mentioned that I do like from London Calling, the rest seem tuneless and to make it worse Strummer's singing voice is horrible! Although I realize that a good singing voice doesn't seem to be considered all that important in punk rock. But like you said, maybe the album's a grower. This was only my first listen of the whole thing. I'll give it a couple more listens at least before deciding that it's just not my cup of tea.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Earlier in the evening:



That album cover is way better than the actual album is! It's probably the coolest looking cover of the NWOBHM era but the songs themselves are just okay in my opinion. Rock Brigade is awesome though! I can't get enough of that one. Hello America is good too. But the rest? meh..

Just now:



Been listening to this one almost everyday!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #215
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,607
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
The Killers -Hot Fuss

smack me upside the head for forgetting to include the name of the cd
haha it's okay, just messing with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
That album cover is way better than the actual album is! It's probably the coolest looking cover of the NWOBHM era but the songs themselves are just okay in my opinion. Rock Brigade is awesome though! I can't get enough of that one. Hello America is good too. But the rest? meh..
yeah, on through the night is okay, but not great. high 'n' dry is better, though the stuff from their classic era is better. i've got all their 80s albums (ooh, all four!) and i think i like pyromania the best.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 AM   #216
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Pyromania fucking kicks ass! I think it could actually be even more metal than On Through.. on certain songs. Stagefright anyone? Billy's Got A Gun is one of my favorite Leppard songs ever. They seriously fucking ruled with Pyromania and Hysteria.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #217
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,279
Local Time: 11:00 AM
ALOUD - Out Of Control



Just leaked this weekend. It is fucking massive.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #218
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dsmith2904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Just keep me where the light is
Posts: 12,290
Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
same here! it's a bummer they ended up scrapping everything and going with someone else. oh well, another musician i like did that with another producer i like (in this case, tony visconti).

i've been on a real inxs kick (no pun intended)
I get on INXS kicks from time to time as well. Such a fantastic and underrated band! I've listened to the "Shine Like It Does" set so many times I'm surprised the disks aren't ruined. I can't believe it's been almost 11 years.

I listened to this on the ride in this morning:

__________________
dsmith2904 is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #219
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Well... I agree that Dylan doesn't have a good singing voice either but at least with songs like Tangled Up In Blue, Like A Rolling Stone, Blowin' In The Wind, Times They Are A Changin' (those are probably my handful of favorites from him) etc., there is some sort of discernible melody! I dunno, this is incredibly subjective but... melody always appeals to me way more than and way before lyrics do. And aside from the 4 or 5 songs I mentioned that I do like from London Calling, the rest seem tuneless and to make it worse Strummer's singing voice is horrible! Although I realize that a good singing voice doesn't seem to be considered all that important in punk rock. But like you said, maybe the album's a grower. This was only my first listen of the whole thing. I'll give it a couple more listens at least before deciding that it's just not my cup of tea.
I think this is just a case of everyone having different tastes musically. This is actually the first time I've ever heard someone say they think he can't sing or that there are no melodies in the song. If anything, I'd say the exact opposite, and that's one of the reasons why their music was so important in its respective genre and for the time.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #220
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post

both of them a couple of times

cause they're excellent
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 12:00 PM
I was inspired to listen to this for the first time in a while after the conversation with Zoots in the other thread late last week.



What an album.
__________________
phanan is online now  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,958
Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Fleet Foxes - the album and the EP
I listened to those again back to back at work. And I don't understand why the consensus is that the EP is better than the album. I really like 10/11 songs on the album whereas I only really like 3/5 songs on the EP.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #223
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I listened to those again back to back at work. And I don't understand why the consensus is that the EP is better than the album. I really like 10/11 songs on the album whereas I only really like 3/5 songs on the EP.
I still haven't heard the EP. I am a terrible fan.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #224
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I am terrible at being a man.
Agreed.



Tourista,

I like the album considerably more than I initially did. For me, having been familiar with the tracks from the EP for a few months prior to the album coming out, I was expecting something different out of the album than what we got. I've gotten back whatever my preconceived notions were of what it would be and like it for what it is. That said, I still think the middle 3 songs on the EP are right up there in quality with the best 3 tracks on the album.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #225
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irishteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 29,624
Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Like three or four more times
__________________

__________________
Irishteen is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com