What album did you just listen to from start to finish - the sequel - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #211
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 09:00 AM
The Killers -Hot Fuss

smack me upside the head for forgetting to include the name of the cd

Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #212
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:00 AM
65daysofstatic - 'The Destruction of Small Ideas'

Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #213
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Agreed + 989098232908320985983438729390218

My all time favorite album.

Plus, Zootsuit, how can you mention liking Dylan and then in the following post say that Joe Strummer (I assume that's who you mean, as it's not always the same person singing in their albums) can't sing?
Well... I agree that Dylan doesn't have a good singing voice either but at least with songs like Tangled Up In Blue, Like A Rolling Stone, Blowin' In The Wind, Times They Are A Changin' (those are probably my handful of favorites from him) etc., there is some sort of discernible melody! I dunno, this is incredibly subjective but... melody always appeals to me way more than and way before lyrics do. And aside from the 4 or 5 songs I mentioned that I do like from London Calling, the rest seem tuneless and to make it worse Strummer's singing voice is horrible! Although I realize that a good singing voice doesn't seem to be considered all that important in punk rock. But like you said, maybe the album's a grower. This was only my first listen of the whole thing. I'll give it a couple more listens at least before deciding that it's just not my cup of tea.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier

Earlier in the evening:

That album cover is way better than the actual album is! It's probably the coolest looking cover of the NWOBHM era but the songs themselves are just okay in my opinion. Rock Brigade is awesome though! I can't get enough of that one. Hello America is good too. But the rest? meh..

Just now:

Been listening to this one almost everyday!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #215
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
The Killers -Hot Fuss

smack me upside the head for forgetting to include the name of the cd
haha it's okay, just messing with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
That album cover is way better than the actual album is! It's probably the coolest looking cover of the NWOBHM era but the songs themselves are just okay in my opinion. Rock Brigade is awesome though! I can't get enough of that one. Hello America is good too. But the rest? meh..
yeah, on through the night is okay, but not great. high 'n' dry is better, though the stuff from their classic era is better. i've got all their 80s albums (ooh, all four!) and i think i like pyromania the best.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 AM   #216
Blue Crack Supplier

Pyromania fucking kicks ass! I think it could actually be even more metal than On Through.. on certain songs. Stagefright anyone? Billy's Got A Gun is one of my favorite Leppard songs ever. They seriously fucking ruled with Pyromania and Hysteria.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

ALOUD - Out Of Control

Just leaked this weekend. It is fucking massive.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #218
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
same here! it's a bummer they ended up scrapping everything and going with someone else. oh well, another musician i like did that with another producer i like (in this case, tony visconti).

i've been on a real inxs kick (no pun intended)
I get on INXS kicks from time to time as well. Such a fantastic and underrated band! I've listened to the "Shine Like It Does" set so many times I'm surprised the disks aren't ruined. I can't believe it's been almost 11 years.

I listened to this on the ride in this morning:

Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #219
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Well... I agree that Dylan doesn't have a good singing voice either but at least with songs like Tangled Up In Blue, Like A Rolling Stone, Blowin' In The Wind, Times They Are A Changin' (those are probably my handful of favorites from him) etc., there is some sort of discernible melody! I dunno, this is incredibly subjective but... melody always appeals to me way more than and way before lyrics do. And aside from the 4 or 5 songs I mentioned that I do like from London Calling, the rest seem tuneless and to make it worse Strummer's singing voice is horrible! Although I realize that a good singing voice doesn't seem to be considered all that important in punk rock. But like you said, maybe the album's a grower. This was only my first listen of the whole thing. I'll give it a couple more listens at least before deciding that it's just not my cup of tea.
I think this is just a case of everyone having different tastes musically. This is actually the first time I've ever heard someone say they think he can't sing or that there are no melodies in the song. If anything, I'd say the exact opposite, and that's one of the reasons why their music was so important in its respective genre and for the time.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #220
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post

both of them a couple of times

cause they're excellent
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:00 PM
I was inspired to listen to this for the first time in a while after the conversation with Zoots in the other thread late last week.

What an album.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Fleet Foxes - the album and the EP
I listened to those again back to back at work. And I don't understand why the consensus is that the EP is better than the album. I really like 10/11 songs on the album whereas I only really like 3/5 songs on the EP.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #223
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I listened to those again back to back at work. And I don't understand why the consensus is that the EP is better than the album. I really like 10/11 songs on the album whereas I only really like 3/5 songs on the EP.
I still haven't heard the EP. I am a terrible fan.

Now.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #224
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I am terrible at being a man.
Agreed.

Tourista,

I like the album considerably more than I initially did. For me, having been familiar with the tracks from the EP for a few months prior to the album coming out, I was expecting something different out of the album than what we got. I've gotten back whatever my preconceived notions were of what it would be and like it for what it is. That said, I still think the middle 3 songs on the EP are right up there in quality with the best 3 tracks on the album.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #225
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Like three or four more times