We won! - RIAA to abandon mass suits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits - WSJ.com

After years of suing thousands of people for allegedly stealing music via the Internet, the recording industry is set to drop its legal assault as it searches for more effective ways to combat online music piracy.

The decision represents an abrupt shift of strategy for the industry, which has opened legal proceedings against about 35,000 people since 2003. Critics say the legal offensive ultimately did little to stem the tide of illegally downloaded music. And it created a public-relations disaster for the industry, whose lawsuits targeted, among others, several single mothers, a dead person and a 13-year-old girl.

Instead, the Recording Industry Association of America said it plans to try an approach that relies on the cooperation of Internet-service providers. The trade group said it has hashed out preliminary agreements with major ISPs under which it will send an email to the provider when it finds a provider's customers making music available online for others to take.

Depending on the agreement, the ISP will either forward the note to customers, or alert customers that they appear to be uploading music illegally, and ask them to stop. If the customers continue the file-sharing, they will get one or two more emails, perhaps accompanied by slower service from the provider. Finally, the ISP may cut off their access altogether.

The RIAA said it has agreements in principle with some ISPs, but declined to say which ones. But ISPs, which are increasingly cutting content deals of their own with entertainment companies, may have more incentive to work with the music labels now than in previous years.

The new approach dispenses with one of the most contentious parts of the lawsuit strategy, which involved filing lawsuits requiring ISPs to disclose the identities of file sharers. Under the new strategy, the RIAA would forward its emails to the ISPs without demanding to know the customers' identity.

Though the industry group is reserving the right to sue people who are particularly heavy file sharers, or who ignore repeated warnings, it expects its lawsuits to decline to a trickle. The group stopped filing mass lawsuits early this fall.

It isn't clear that the new strategy will work or how effective the collaboration with the ISPs will be. "There isn't any silver-bullet anti-piracy solution," said Eric Garland, president of BigChampagne LLC, a piracy consulting company.

Mr. Garland said he likes the idea of a solution that works more with consumers. In the years since the RIAA began its mass legal action, "It has become abundantly clear that the carrot is far more important than the stick." Indeed, many in the music industry felt the lawsuits had outlived their usefulness.

"I'd give them credit for stopping what they've already been doing because it's been so destructive," said Brian Toder, who represents a Minnesota mother involved in a high-profile file-sharing case. But his client isn't off the hook. The RIAA said it plans to continue with outstanding lawsuits.

Over the summer, New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo began brokering an agreement between the recording industry and the ISPs that would address both sides' piracy concerns. "We wanted to end the litigation," said Steven Cohen, Mr. Cuomo's chief of staff. "It's not helpful."

As the RIAA worked to cut deals with individual ISPs, Mr. Cuomo's office started working on a broader plan under which major ISPs would agree to work to prevent illegal file-sharing.

The RIAA believes the new strategy will reach more people, which itself is a deterrent. "Part of the issue with infringement is for people to be aware that their actions are not anonymous," said Mitch Bainwol, the group's chairman.

Mr. Bainwol said that while he thought the litigation had been effective in some regards, new methods were now available to the industry. "Over the course of five years, the marketplace has changed," he said in an interview. Litigation, he said, was successful in raising the public's awareness that file-sharing is illegal, but now he wants to try a strategy he thinks could prove more successful.

The RIAA says piracy would have been even worse without the lawsuits. Citing data from consulting firm NPD Group Inc., the industry says the percentage of Internet users who download music over the Internet has remained fairly constant, hovering around 19% over the past few years. However, the volume of music files shared over the Internet has grown steadily.

Meanwhile, music sales continue to fall. In 2003, the industry sold 656 million albums. In 2007, the number fell to 500 million CDs and digital albums, plus 844 million paid individual song downloads -- hardly enough to make up the decline in album sales.

Maybe they'll drop album prices from $18.99 to $10.99 while they're at it.

Well, never mind, these are greedy corporate suits we're talking about here, not forward-thinking philanthropists.

CD prices should definitely come down, but iTunes unfortunately has unintentionally set a precedent for "$10 is as low as it gets" for music, and the industry uses the whole "CDs should be more" arguement since you actually get something physical, or so it seems. It's sad to me that the other less successful digital sales sites even allow labels to charge more for a "digital only" album (hello, Myspace, who specifically went to labels and told them they could charge more than $10 on their site for albums).

Well, if it's in their best economic interest to drop the per-item profit margin in order to move more units, maybe they'll try it.

Something's gotta give. If all albums were $10 new at the store you better believe I'd be buying a lot more shit.

Personally, the only time I've paid $10 for a digital-only copy was for In Rainbows, and for this rare Stephen Malkmus/Silkworm collaboration called The Crust Brothers (strangely it was on iTunes).

CDs in America are cheaper than here by far and yet you guys still complain...nothing s ever good enough for americans...

Well, if it's in their best economic interest to drop the per-item profit margin in order to move more units, maybe they'll try it.

Something's gotta give. If all albums were $10 new at the store you better believe I'd be buying a lot more shit.

At this point, I've moved to purchasing only used albums, along with whatever albums supposedly have excellent packaging. Curiously enough, I've listened to more new music this year than ever before.

CDs in America are cheaper than here by far and yet you guys still complain...nothing s ever good enough for americans...

A kick in the balls is worse than a punch in the face, sure. But I'm not going to be grateful for either.

If all albums were $10 new at the store you better believe I'd be buying a lot more shit.

:up:

I've bought fewer albums this year than ever before. I just can't justify spending the money unless I know it's an album I'll like and listen to.

I will often buy new releases at Target or Best Buy because they often have them for $10 or so. Otherwise, I like to frequent my local CD shops or buy used CDs (either in those local shops or via Amazon).

I just don't see how this is anything but a very small victory when they've switched from issuing lawsuits, to being able to hassle you via your ISP.

In Canada, they were trying to put through federal legislation requiring ISPs to report illegal file uploaders, but with the fall election and now all the political shit going on in Canada, I'm sure it's been tabled, as it's not a high priority.

I know some of the bigger ISPs here were sending out some cease and desist letters, but I use a regional ISP, and I've never heard a thing from them. Maybe this will cause people to simply switch to smaller ISPs.

Here's the thread I started in June about the situation in Canada:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...gainst-downloading-copyright-bill-187495.html

I just don't see how this is anything but a very small victory when they've switched from issuing lawsuits, to being able to hassle you via your ISP.

Well, then we won't have to listen to anyone complain about being hassled by the RIAA, because their internet connections will be so slow they won't be able to get on here :wink:

I've bought more music this year than I have in probably the last five or six years combined. I paid full price for very little of it, though. I buy mostly used CDs, either via ebay or when I come across a good used music shop while I'm traveling. I also try to buy CDs at shows, since if it's a smaller artist, they'll probably be offering albums for a lower price. For digital downloads, I've mostly started buying either directly from artists' websites when possible, or else through Amazon, which often has albums on sale for $5 or less.

The only full-price albums I've bought this year have been independent label stuff, mostly experimental jazz. Those albums are always in the $15-$18 range, but they've got lovely packaging and a larger percentage of the album's profits actually go to the artist and to keeping independent music alive, so I don't mind paying that much.

The theme for one of my composition classes this semester was Writing About Music, and we spent part of one unit talking about the RIAA and looking at where the money from music sales actually goes. One of the things I had them read was that speech Paul McGuinness gave earlier this year, and they all agreed he seemed ridiculous to be complaining about lost profits when he's managing a band that's worth billions. Ultimately, my students said the industry is in part to blame for file sharing, because they've stubbornly continued to follow a business model that's not working for consumers.

I'm teaching the class again next semester, and I'm interested to see what kind of developments there are by the time we reach this unit.

Why'd one would be content with a digital copy is beyond me. Computers are devastatingly unreliable and overated machines. I'd be worried about my entire computer blowing up and then regretting all the money I'd wasted on owning intangible music. I'm already petrified that my entire Itunes thing is gonna somehow get Lost...and hence all my playlists and stuff....

I'd recommend not getting a computer prone to spontaneous combustion.

Why'd one would be content with a digital copy is beyond me. Computers are devastatingly unreliable and overated machines. I'd be worried about my entire computer blowing up and then regretting all the money I'd wasted on owning intangible music. I'm already petrified that my entire Itunes thing is gonna somehow get Lost...and hence all my playlists and stuff....

These things worry me too. The vast majority of my music is on CDs, though. There's only a handful of stuff I only have digital copies of. So many people I know have lost their entire collections when their hard drive died or somesuch.

Across the Irish Sea, two bold tactics against music piracy
Isle of Man considers unlimited downloads as Ireland pulls plugs

by Michael Seaver
Christian Science Monitor, February 4, 2009

Birch lashes used to be how the Isle of Man punished misdemeanors, but 16 years after the island repealed its “birching” law, it is dealing with the crime of Internet piracy in an equally novel way: by accepting defeat. Rather than police the Internet for illegal activity, the Isle of Man has proposed a radical new tax of £1 ($1.45) per week that will be paid directly to recording companies to allow its citizens unlimited downloads of music.

Meanwhile, across the Irish Sea, record companies in Ireland have reached a landmark agreement with the country’s largest Internet service provider in the battle against piracy. Customers found guilty of illegal downloading now face the ultimate horror: disconnection from the Internet.

Ireland and the Isle of Man might be just 50 miles apart, but their strategies for dealing with illegal downloading represent polar opposites within the record industry. The experiments taking place on these two islands are being watched closely, with the results likely to influence public policy far beyond this rainy, wind-swept corner of Europe. The music industry is desperate for a solution: global music sales are down a quarter since 2000 and the vast majority of music distributed on the Internet is now pirated, according to the recording industry’s leading trade group.

A small island of 80,000 people between Ireland and Britain, the Isle of Man has been self-governing for over 1000 years, with the oldest continuous parliament in the world. Queen Elizabeth II (known as the “Lord of Mann”) may be the official figurehead, but the island isn’t part of the United Kingdom or the European Union. This political and economic independence--and 100 percent broadband penetration--makes it an ideal testing site for an ideology that is spreading within the record industry: Don’t try to stop people stealing music, just try to find ways to make them pay for it.

“The logic is quite straightforward: You find a way of creating a payment within the network,” says Gerd Leonhard, a media futurist and author. Although a similar idea failed in France in 2006 amid a fierce lobbying effort by the recording industry, Mr. Leonhard has long argued that if the recording industry licensed Internet networks with a flatrate for streaming and downloading music, then advertising and other subsidies would be able to cover the entire CD business. He doesn’t even think the Isle of Man’s tax is necessary. “The payment of about €1 [$1.28] per week, which we have been debating in Europe as a flat rate, is entirely possible to raise through the ecosystem. The music won’t be free, but it will feel like free,” he says, in an interview from Austria. Business models like Leonhard’s are becoming more feasible as concert tours, merchandise, and endorsements become more lucrative than recordings. “When Prince gives away his CD away with a British Sunday newspaper, he knows that he will be guaranteed three sold-out shows. That is worth more to him than the recording,” Leonhard says.

Ron Berry, e-business inward investment adviser for the Isle of Man, announced the proposal in January at MIDEM, the world’s largest music industry trade fair. The approach might be innovative, but it’s not a panacea, he said. “At the end of the day, we’re not going to stop piracy,” Mr. Berry said.

For some, the battle against piracy is still worth pursuing. “There is now a whole generation who have never paid for music,” says Willie Kavanagh, chairman of the Irish Recorded Music Association and managing director of EMI Ireland, one of the four companies that recently sued the Internet service provider Eircom. “We’ve done research in classrooms and it’s astounding how young people of 17 have never bought a CD. Not only that, none of them had ever paid for music. So the problem is of total epidemic proportions.”

The settlement means that Eircom will disconnect customers if they ignore two warnings. Paul Bradley, head of communications at Eircom, says that his company won’t directly monitor customers’ Internet usage. The record companies, via a third party, will supply Eircom with the IP addresses of all persons they detect to be illegally trading copyrighted works on a peer-to-peer (P2P) basis. Once Eircom is made aware of illegal activity it is bound by law to take action.

The Irish model may be one of the first, but it is likely to be copied. The British government has recommended similar measures in its Digital Britain Interim Report, published on Jan. 29. France, after rejecting an approach similar to the Isle of Man’s, now supports the idea of disconnecting Internet pirates.

Attempting to stop the vast (and largely free) global flow of music file sharing through punishment will ultimately prove futile, predicts Bob Lefsetz, a leading music industry analyst based in California. “This three-strikes thing is not a solution,” Mr. Lefsetz says. “Licensing is a solution. The Isle of Man [model] is a solution.” The future is in on-demand services, Lefsetz says. The record industry should be looking ahead to those challenges. “Do you still think that eight years from now people are going to be stealing music track by track?” Mr. Lefsetz says. “The bottom line is you are going to have instant delivery of everything you want, whenever you want. P2P is already antiquated.”

Sectors of the recording industry are already planning ahead. Last year, major players in the recording business, including the Digital Media Association (DiMA), the National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA), and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), made an agreement that proposed royalty rates for online streaming and limited downloads. Also last year Warner Music International appointed Jim Griffin, a music industry analyst and former head of technology at Geffen Records, to develop digital distribution models.

Careful number-crunching is needed to ensure the recording companies and artists are adequately compensated, says Mr. Kavanagh, of the Irish Recorded Music Association. “At some point, all-you-can-eat loses money for somebody.”

Author and futurist Leonhard says the recording industry is fighting an uphill battle: “The tactic of criminalizing users hasn’t produced any money. The industry needs to look for compensation, not control.”

I don't think it's a 'win' if they're trying to kick people off the internet. This will only lead to more Nazi like witch hunts, invasions of privacy and more examples being made of average people. Their plan is to make it no longer anonymous so they can track and harass you. I can't believe the ISPs would seriously disconnect people for downloading, they'd lose over half their customers!

Canada has the right idea that it's wrong to snoop into peoples' online accounts and passed a law against it. The RIAA at least has admitted the lawsuits were a public relations nightmare, they certainly did make most people hate them, even if they weren't downloaders. I got a feeling this new spy and threaten tactic will be even less popular.

I really like the Isle of Man plan, though I think it should be voluntary, like a "if you don't pay this fee, you either have to refrain from downloading or be at risk if you're caught doing it." I mean, there's going to be people who just won't download, whether it be because they don't have a computer, or because they don't know how to do it, or because they want to buy the physical CDs.

I really like the Isle of Man plan, though I think it should be voluntary, like a "if you don't pay this fee, you either have to refrain from downloading or be at risk if you're caught doing it." I mean, there's going to be people who just won't download, whether it be because they don't have a computer, or because they don't know how to do it, or because they want to buy the physical CDs.

100% agreed. I think it's a great idea.

Ive not heard that article in the news here anywhere. :scratch:

So...I cant quite work out the £1 a week thing, someone talk me though who, what or how its being paid?

Back
Top Bottom