We won! - RIAA to abandon mass suits - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
The Male

Local Time: 02:26 PM
We won! - RIAA to abandon mass suits

Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits - WSJ.com

Quote:
After years of suing thousands of people for allegedly stealing music via the Internet, the recording industry is set to drop its legal assault as it searches for more effective ways to combat online music piracy.

The decision represents an abrupt shift of strategy for the industry, which has opened legal proceedings against about 35,000 people since 2003. Critics say the legal offensive ultimately did little to stem the tide of illegally downloaded music. And it created a public-relations disaster for the industry, whose lawsuits targeted, among others, several single mothers, a dead person and a 13-year-old girl.

Instead, the Recording Industry Association of America said it plans to try an approach that relies on the cooperation of Internet-service providers. The trade group said it has hashed out preliminary agreements with major ISPs under which it will send an email to the provider when it finds a provider's customers making music available online for others to take.

Depending on the agreement, the ISP will either forward the note to customers, or alert customers that they appear to be uploading music illegally, and ask them to stop. If the customers continue the file-sharing, they will get one or two more emails, perhaps accompanied by slower service from the provider. Finally, the ISP may cut off their access altogether.

The RIAA said it has agreements in principle with some ISPs, but declined to say which ones. But ISPs, which are increasingly cutting content deals of their own with entertainment companies, may have more incentive to work with the music labels now than in previous years.

The new approach dispenses with one of the most contentious parts of the lawsuit strategy, which involved filing lawsuits requiring ISPs to disclose the identities of file sharers. Under the new strategy, the RIAA would forward its emails to the ISPs without demanding to know the customers' identity.

Though the industry group is reserving the right to sue people who are particularly heavy file sharers, or who ignore repeated warnings, it expects its lawsuits to decline to a trickle. The group stopped filing mass lawsuits early this fall.

It isn't clear that the new strategy will work or how effective the collaboration with the ISPs will be. "There isn't any silver-bullet anti-piracy solution," said Eric Garland, president of BigChampagne LLC, a piracy consulting company.

Mr. Garland said he likes the idea of a solution that works more with consumers. In the years since the RIAA began its mass legal action, "It has become abundantly clear that the carrot is far more important than the stick." Indeed, many in the music industry felt the lawsuits had outlived their usefulness.

"I'd give them credit for stopping what they've already been doing because it's been so destructive," said Brian Toder, who represents a Minnesota mother involved in a high-profile file-sharing case. But his client isn't off the hook. The RIAA said it plans to continue with outstanding lawsuits.

Over the summer, New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo began brokering an agreement between the recording industry and the ISPs that would address both sides' piracy concerns. "We wanted to end the litigation," said Steven Cohen, Mr. Cuomo's chief of staff. "It's not helpful."

As the RIAA worked to cut deals with individual ISPs, Mr. Cuomo's office started working on a broader plan under which major ISPs would agree to work to prevent illegal file-sharing.

The RIAA believes the new strategy will reach more people, which itself is a deterrent. "Part of the issue with infringement is for people to be aware that their actions are not anonymous," said Mitch Bainwol, the group's chairman.

Mr. Bainwol said that while he thought the litigation had been effective in some regards, new methods were now available to the industry. "Over the course of five years, the marketplace has changed," he said in an interview. Litigation, he said, was successful in raising the public's awareness that file-sharing is illegal, but now he wants to try a strategy he thinks could prove more successful.

The RIAA says piracy would have been even worse without the lawsuits. Citing data from consulting firm NPD Group Inc., the industry says the percentage of Internet users who download music over the Internet has remained fairly constant, hovering around 19% over the past few years. However, the volume of music files shared over the Internet has grown steadily.

Meanwhile, music sales continue to fall. In 2003, the industry sold 656 million albums. In 2007, the number fell to 500 million CDs and digital albums, plus 844 million paid individual song downloads -- hardly enough to make up the decline in album sales.
Maybe they'll drop album prices from $18.99 to $10.99 while they're at it.

Well, never mind, these are greedy corporate suits we're talking about here, not forward-thinking philanthropists.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:26 PM
CD prices should definitely come down, but iTunes unfortunately has unintentionally set a precedent for "$10 is as low as it gets" for music, and the industry uses the whole "CDs should be more" arguement since you actually get something physical, or so it seems. It's sad to me that the other less successful digital sales sites even allow labels to charge more for a "digital only" album (hello, Myspace, who specifically went to labels and told them they could charge more than $10 on their site for albums).

Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, if it's in their best economic interest to drop the per-item profit margin in order to move more units, maybe they'll try it.

Something's gotta give. If all albums were $10 new at the store you better believe I'd be buying a lot more shit.

Personally, the only time I've paid $10 for a digital-only copy was for In Rainbows, and for this rare Stephen Malkmus/Silkworm collaboration called The Crust Brothers (strangely it was on iTunes).
Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 PM
CDs in America are cheaper than here by far and yet you guys still complain...nothing s ever good enough for americans...
Old 12-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well, if it's in their best economic interest to drop the per-item profit margin in order to move more units, maybe they'll try it.

Something's gotta give. If all albums were $10 new at the store you better believe I'd be buying a lot more shit.
At this point, I've moved to purchasing only used albums, along with whatever albums supposedly have excellent packaging. Curiously enough, I've listened to more new music this year than ever before.

Now.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
CDs in America are cheaper than here by far and yet you guys still complain...nothing s ever good enough for americans...
A kick in the balls is worse than a punch in the face, sure. But I'm not going to be grateful for either.

Now.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Which is why things are better here, you fatalistic, potato fan.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
A kick in the balls is worse than a punch in the face, sure. But I'm not going to be grateful for either.
Some people are not only grateful for it, they'll pay Lance's Mom the same $10 for it.

Like the gentleman above, for instance.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 05:26 PM

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Which is why things are better here, you fatalistic, potato fan.
dalton
Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
If all albums were $10 new at the store you better believe I'd be buying a lot more shit.

I've bought fewer albums this year than ever before. I just can't justify spending the money unless I know it's an album I'll like and listen to.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

I will often buy new releases at Target or Best Buy because they often have them for $10 or so. Otherwise, I like to frequent my local CD shops or buy used CDs (either in those local shops or via Amazon).
Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

I just don't see how this is anything but a very small victory when they've switched from issuing lawsuits, to being able to hassle you via your ISP.

In Canada, they were trying to put through federal legislation requiring ISPs to report illegal file uploaders, but with the fall election and now all the political shit going on in Canada, I'm sure it's been tabled, as it's not a high priority.

I know some of the bigger ISPs here were sending out some cease and desist letters, but I use a regional ISP, and I've never heard a thing from them. Maybe this will cause people to simply switch to smaller ISPs.

Here's the thread I started in June about the situation in Canada:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums...ll-187495.html
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I just don't see how this is anything but a very small victory when they've switched from issuing lawsuits, to being able to hassle you via your ISP.
Well, then we won't have to listen to anyone complain about being hassled by the RIAA, because their internet connections will be so slow they won't be able to get on here

I've bought more music this year than I have in probably the last five or six years combined. I paid full price for very little of it, though. I buy mostly used CDs, either via ebay or when I come across a good used music shop while I'm traveling. I also try to buy CDs at shows, since if it's a smaller artist, they'll probably be offering albums for a lower price. For digital downloads, I've mostly started buying either directly from artists' websites when possible, or else through Amazon, which often has albums on sale for $5 or less.

The only full-price albums I've bought this year have been independent label stuff, mostly experimental jazz. Those albums are always in the $15-$18 range, but they've got lovely packaging and a larger percentage of the album's profits actually go to the artist and to keeping independent music alive, so I don't mind paying that much.

The theme for one of my composition classes this semester was Writing About Music, and we spent part of one unit talking about the RIAA and looking at where the money from music sales actually goes. One of the things I had them read was that speech Paul McGuinness gave earlier this year, and they all agreed he seemed ridiculous to be complaining about lost profits when he's managing a band that's worth billions. Ultimately, my students said the industry is in part to blame for file sharing, because they've stubbornly continued to follow a business model that's not working for consumers.

I'm teaching the class again next semester, and I'm interested to see what kind of developments there are by the time we reach this unit.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Why'd one would be content with a digital copy is beyond me. Computers are devastatingly unreliable and overated machines. I'd be worried about my entire computer blowing up and then regretting all the money I'd wasted on owning intangible music. I'm already petrified that my entire Itunes thing is gonna somehow get Lost...and hence all my playlists and stuff....

Tags
illegal downloads, piracy, riaa