Wayne Coyne tears Arcade Fire a new asshole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
It's true. That headline is not in the least bit hyperbolic. During a phone interview with Rolling Stone's Andy Greene, Wayne Coyne went to pretty great lengths to diss Win and his troops. According to Rolling Stone, the Flaming Lips frontman and Green were talking about "the movers and shakers in the music world" when the subject shifted from Brian Eno to Radiohead to Arcade Fire (of course). RS also notes that "Coyne is not comparing Eno to the Arcade Fire -- Eno was just a talking point." He actually has many talking points.

Via Rolling Stone:

"I'm a fan of them on one level, but on another level I get really tired of their pompousness ... We've played some shows with them and they really treat people like shit. Whenever I've been around them, I've found that they not only treated their crew like shit, they treated the audience like shit. They treated everybody in their vicinity like shit. I thought, 'Who do they think they are?' I don't know why people put up with it. I wouldn't put up with it. I don't care if it's Arcade Fire or Brian Eno. If either of them walked into a room and treated people like shit I'd be like, 'Fuck you, get outta here.'
... People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it. Those sort of opinions change my view of their music. They have good tunes, but they're pricks, so fuck 'em. Who does Arcade Fire think they are? I've been around groups. I've been around the Edge from U2 and he's the fucking sweetest guy ever. I was around Justin Timberlake when he was young and he was just a normal, nice, kind person. Anyone can be polite and kind and people who have the privilege and money and attention should understand that. If they don't, then fuck 'em."

Wayne Coyne Tears Arcade Fire A New Asshole - Where's The Beef? - Stereogum

Interesting. Bummer to learn they're apparently assholes, but I still love their music.

I don't like people who aren't nice to other people. It's not hard to be a nice person. I don't like Arcade Fire anymore.

Win whined about it on his blog
Pilky.gif

haha i love Wayne Coyne. Not even a fan of Flaming Lips, just never got round to it, but from all the interviews I've read he seems like a really cool guy and got to say I found this very funny. Gotta agree it's a bummer to learn Arcade Fire are apparantley pricks...would love to know WHAT they did to earn such a title. Love their music though.

That said I remember being told by a band to come meet them at a gig and give them a CD when I asked for a remix job. I'd exchanged loads of emails in the run up to the gig and they said they were looking forward to meeting me, after I gave them the CD all contact just ceased, not even a "sorry this isn't really what we're looking for" which is what made it so crushing. I found I've listened to them a lot less now. :huh:

I have no connections, I'm not cool, and I have no history of any cool experiences.

After watching them perform in Chicago two summers ago, Arcade Fire (the whole band) spent a good half hour talking to fans right outside the theater. I got autographs, we laughed about life, music, their sucky skills at Guitar Hero, and then went into a long discussion about food (Win Butler offered me a piece of pizza but I was too afraid to say yes!) They didn't play "Wake Up" that night 'cause they were sick of it, and when they asked us what they should play for the third Chicago show, they listened to our requests and played some rarer tracks.

Arcade Fire were not jerks. They were nothing but polite to all of us. Wayne Coyne can suck it.

And I've met Wayne Coyne, who spent a huge amount of time, along with the other band members, hanging out with fans after a show, chatting, signing autographs, taking pictures, and whatever else.

So, :rockon: Wayne Coyne! :lol: Either way, who cares, it's a couple of musicians exchanging words...

I think he's talking about the attitude from one band to another band, which is all about ego and posturing rather than a band's attitude toward their paying fans, which is a reciprocative relationship.

I wouldn't doubt at all that Arcade Fire treat their fans great, they aren't stupid.

That doesn't mean they aren't dicks to bands who don't fit into their club of integrity.

I've seen Arcade Fire many, many times, and I don't know where this is coming from. They've always treated the audience well, and I've seen them in very small venues. I've also met the band, and they never did or said anything impolite to me. And, coming from Montreal, I've heard stories about their niceness. :shrug:

I have no connections, I'm not cool, and I have no history of any cool experiences.

After watching them perform in Chicago two summers ago, Arcade Fire (the whole band) spent a good half hour talking to fans right outside the theater. I got autographs, we laughed about life, music, their sucky skills at Guitar Hero, and then went into a long discussion about food (Win Butler offered me a piece of pizza but I was too afraid to say yes!) They didn't play "Wake Up" that night 'cause they were sick of it, and when they asked us what they should play for the third Chicago show, they listened to our requests and played some rarer tracks.

Arcade Fire were not jerks. They were nothing but polite to all of us. Wayne Coyne can suck it.

And I've met Wayne Coyne, who spent a huge amount of time, along with the other band members, hanging out with fans after a show, chatting, signing autographs, taking pictures, and whatever else.

So, :rockon: Wayne Coyne! :lol: Either way, who cares, it's a couple of musicians exchanging words...

Both Wayne and Win bought me a hooker after their (respective) shows. They were both great, but Win has a thing for dirty skanks. I chalk that up to his Canadian connection.

Win Butler does come off as dour and pompous in a few interviews I've read, but he and the rest of the band were fine when I saw them live a couple of years ago. I'd have no clue how they treat their crew though.

When Aslan returns you and the other followers of your mongrel religion will NOT be saved, Fagin.

Now I want to think that you watch The Chronicles of Narnia all the time at Chateau Laz. Mostly during D&D meetings.

Haven't done that since high school, but those were the days.

There is no video game on any platform past or present that could match the experience of a good old fashioned 6-hour session of glorious, geeky role-playing.

Haven't done that since high school, but those were the days.

There is no video game on any platform past or present that could match the experience of a good old fashioned 6-hour session of glorious, geeky role-playing.

I bet.

Which one were you?

freaks.jpg

I remember meeting Win with seven or eight other fans after a show on the Neon Bible tour here and he seemed to be a decent guy. When meeting fans he has the aura of someone who is still a bit perplexed at his band's accolades and their fans' affections.

Touring's a long and stressful journey, and I'd be surprised if there's any band out there who hasn't snapped at roadies who can't get their shit together.

~

I don't like people who aren't nice to other people. It's not hard to be a nice person. I don't like Arcade Fire anymore.
I've heard that Arcade Fire are mean people. And I hate them for it.

What on earth are you on about....are you the Jesus Sunshine Brigade or something?

Back
Top Bottom