Waxahatchee (and I'm not talkin about the river lol)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
So a quick search turned up only a handful of RMT threads, so this appears to be very much a niche. But I yanked this Ivy Tripp business up on Spotify the other day and got about four or five songs in and turned it off cos I quite liked it, and I went to JBHIFI to buy it.

Span(? Spun?) the thing tonight, and I really, really liked it. First I've heard of her music and I think it deserves much more chatter around here than a couple of five-word posts.

I'm not too sure what I like about it... but there's just something there. Really strong songwriting maybe. Her voice reminds me a lot of someone I can't think of ... maybe Shirley Manson with less edge? I don't know, I'm just vomiting crap here. Katie Crutchfield's voice also has a slight country twang to it, I reckon. I quite like it.

And the music's really good, some great guitar throughout, some good solemn piano/keys, it's just good to hear one of these hyped indie albums that delivers something that feels a bit fresh, rather than the rehashed washes of sound I feel some of them have.

And the lyrics too, I like them. A moving but completely unpretentious look at relationships that just aren't quite working out.

And she seems like a bit of a cutie, too. A cool character. Unencumbered.

Who else is digging this?

First response in under four minutes. This thread is off to a nice start.

Katie rules. Please listen to Cerulean Salt next, I still think Coast to Coast is her best song despite Ivy Tripp being full of great ones.

I'm sad that I skipped Waxahatchee at P4k, but Run the Jewels was calling. Life is full of tough decisions.

Cerulean Salt is great indeed, one of my favorite albums of 2013. I think I originally got it on LM's recommendation, and it really clicked.

I'm enjoying Ivy Tripp a lot too. I think unpretentious is a good way of describing the songwriting. My favorite songs so far are Under a Rock, Blue and Summer of Love. But I need to spend more time with the album.

I'm happy she's playing a free show here in a couple of months, right next to where I live. Looking forward to it.

This is a really stupid reason for avoiding her new album, but on whatever the lead track was for radio, there is the line "I left you out like a carton of milk." That line is so bad I haven't felt compelled to look into the record.

Cerulean Salt is great indeed, one of my favorite albums of 2013. I think I originally got it on LM's recommendation, and it really clicked.

I'm enjoying Ivy Tripp a lot too. I think unpretentious is a good way of describing the songwriting. My favorite songs so far are Under a Rock, Blue and Summer of Love. But I need to spend more time with the album.

I'm happy she's playing a free show here in a couple of months, right next to where I live. Looking forward to it.

Seems Under a Rock is pretty popular. I think Breathless is a really strange opener. Not sold on that although there is some nice singing at times. Also really liked Summer of Love. La Loose and Bonfire are also really good.

This is a really stupid reason for avoiding her new album, but on whatever the lead track was for radio, there is the line "I left you out like a carton of milk." That line is so bad I haven't felt compelled to look into the record.

Eh I can think of plenty worse. I thought nothing of it reading through with the lyrics.

Another example for me is Courtney Barnett, from Pedestrian at Best: "I think you're a joke, but I don't find you very funny." Like how bloody lazy can one get? Sometimes a single line can ruin a song for me.

Back
Top Bottom