"Watch the Throne"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He used to be a tremendous MC. My God, the dude had such confidence on Reasonable Doubt, and his rhymes were crazy inspired. He's still got the skills, but the rhymes about being a rap god and haterz and whateverthefuck is getting old. If he has a great producer behind him and something to rap about, he can be the best (Blueprint) and if he doesn't have anything to rap about but still has the solid beats, pretty great (Black Album).

LemonMelon said:
the rhymes about being a rap god and haterz and whateverthefuck is getting old.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about Jay. Honestly, I'm young enough to have maybe just not been around during his prime. I think I was maybe 4 around Reasonable Doubt, and oddly enough, I wasn't into rap at the time :wink: if anyone would like to link me to some older songs to look up that show his old skills, I'd be eternally grateful

I've honestly never understood why Jay was ever considered anything more than an average rapper..

He used to be a tremendous MC. My God, the dude had such confidence on Reasonable Doubt, and his rhymes were crazy inspired. He's still got the skills, but the rhymes about being a rap god and haterz and whateverthefuck is getting old. If he has a great producer behind him and something to rap about, he can be the best (Blueprint) and if he doesn't have anything to rap about but still has the solid beats, pretty great (Black Album).

Yeah, Caleb have you heard The Blueprint or Reasonable Doubt in their entirety?

I can't imagine anyone hearing those and thinking he has average lyrics, production or delivery.

Great clip. I'm going to get hold of this later today.

I think Kanye is pitched about right, but while I think Jay Z is great, any greatest/genius stuff is massively, massively, massively over inflating him. Although I know 99% of that kind of belief was self-fulfilling from Jay Z himself.

Yep. This is fucking great. I think I like it more than MBDTF. There isn't a bad song and there's not one song that outstays its welcome (in fact most of them feel too short!) If Kaputt and Bay of Pigs weren't so fucking good I'd say Destroyer have some competition for AOTY.

No Church in the Wild, Niggas in Paris, Otis, New Day, Who Gon Stop Me, Murder to Excellence and Why I Love You are all outstanding and the four bonus tracks make it even better (love to know why there's three minutes of silence before Illest Motherfucker Alive though).

Ooh
I love you so
But why I love you
I never know

The type of music / production is all Kanye style, and that's the highlight of the project. I'm with LM, it's fun, but it's not a revelation. It comes off more like two solo rappers glued together than a true collaboration, but for what it is I definitely enjoy it a lot.

"That's My Bitch" is the highlight for me. Also digging "Lift Off", "Made in America", and "Otis" a lot.

"Made in America" all the way. Favorite track on the album.

I liked this pretty well, it's inoffensive, but nothing earth-shattering. I'm glad that it exists, that's for sure. I liked "Otis" pretty well, and "Illest Motherfucker Alive" really should've been on the album. Also a big fan of "No Church in the Wild" and "Liftoff".

Fun fucking times.

The Joy and Illest Mothefucker Alive > Niggas In Paris and Gotta Have It. That swap would be appreciated.

Lift Off is going to be released to radio August 23. :hyper: Yay for good songs being overplayed instead of shitty ones.

Sorry, Mixtape. We're listening to it now. I like the Strawberry Swing bit so far. I'll have to hear Kids later.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between an album and a mixtape? I assumed it was another name for an EP but it's album-length...

cobl04 said:
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between an album and a mixtape? I assumed it was another name for an EP but it's album-length...

Mixtapes are, by definition, self-released and distributed via independent labels. It allows the artists artistic freedom re: samples and subject matter that they typically wouldn't be afforded on their official releases.

I feel so conflicted listening to Frank Ocean. His songs are a little scatterbrained, and I get the sense that he's not much of a songwriter, so if he had the help of an artist like The-Dream, that would perhaps benefit him. And his beats are, at the moment, a little bit tinny and unremarkable. If he had Kanye behind the boards...

However, he's walking a fine line between extremely promising young soul singer and multi-platinum R&B ho, and he's likely going to have to choose one or the other if he wants to get anywhere. I'm curious about the guy, to say the least.

Yep, I definitely see him going down the latter path. He's got the voice for it. He's getting to know all of the right people to have the songwriting for it too.

It's definitely among my top tracks on the album, and his hook is a big part of the reason why. It reminds me of College Dropout era Kanye.

Guys, in Welcome to the Jungle, when Jay-Z says "I'm losing my soul/I'm stuck in a moment", do you think that was a not-so-subtle nod to U2 in appreciation for his opening for them in Australia?

I don't think it's that much of a stretch, honestly.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom