Vote for U2 on RS' 'Artist of the Decade' Poll - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Vote for U2 on RS' 'Artist of the Decade' Poll

Almost all of the rest of the choices are atrocious.

Rolling Stone

Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:36 PM
That list made me sad for this decade. After the greatness that was the '90's the '00's were not good, especially for rock.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:36 PM
I voted for NLOTH as album of the decade, MOS as song of the decade, and U2 as artist of the decade, though I almost chose Arcade Fire instead. Before NLOTH came out, I would have chosen Arcade Fire for artist, Neon Bible for Album, and COBL for song.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:36 PM
i plunked the vote and voted identical to digitize
Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I'd go with Kanye, Radiohead, and maybe Springsteen over U2 at this point. Kid A, love it or hate it, is sure going to be more relevant 20+ years from now than any of U2's output, save for the singles off of ATYCLB and maybe "Vertigo?" What a legacy.

I love Arcade Fire, but can't say they've defined the decade with only 2 albums, as good as they were. Even if Kanye's been a presence in the latter half of this decade, he's been pretty prolific and diverse within his genre, opinions on his actions aside.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:36 PM
There have been so many great bands this decade, but of course, none of them are listed. Can't believe I actually honestly found U2 to be the best option there.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
U2, KOL, and Radiohead are all on my iPod. And they're the only good ones on the list! Sad. U2 is probably artist of the decade. Although KOL and Radiohead are not too far behind. I really enjoyed Atomic Bomb, and I'm gonna get killed for this, but I put it as album of the decade. Why do so many hate it? Different strokes for different folks. Magnificent as song of the decade, and of course U2 as artist of the decade. You can kill me now for the HTDAAB vote.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Questions like this are always tricky. I'm more inclined to go with a personal "Best of the Decade" list because that's what I know, you know?

When you really think about it though, shouldn't things like cultural relevance along with artistic success be equal factors?

Sure, U2 may be your favorite band, but do you really in your heart of hearts think that any of their albums from this decade stack up to other artist's critical and commercial high points? If so, awesome, but I'm not so sure I'd go that far.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd be inclined to vote for them as the artist of the decade for being a band that's 30 years old, put out three (arguably) great and (arguably) very successful albums, and having three darn big and (again, arguably) successful tours in the decade.

In this day and age, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment.

But I don't think any of the three 00s albums would be at the top of my list for best of the decade. I don't know what I'd pick, but if any of U2's come close, it would be NLOTH, although it's still too "new" for me to really make that call.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 02:36 AM
its sad if its really u2. not because they are not great. because a band that came out in 1980 shouldn't define 2000-2009. its proly coldplay and Eminem. Regardless of anyone's feelings on their music, they did dominate. Bob dylan, Bruce springsteen,, even Green day and u2 lol i mean, no offense but each decades need their own heroes. Green day is comeback story if anything.. Radiohead could get album of the decade with KID A, but not artist of the decade.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

anything i'd pick as best album will get maybe three votes, so i picked nloth just because it's the only popular album from this decade that i like and would like to see win. as for song, i picked fez, because why not.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 02:36 AM
if anything jay z should get a vote for effort. 7 studio albums this decade. lol.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
if anything jay z should get a vote for effort. 7 studio albums this decade. lol.
And this after he retired!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
The Male

I love Springsteen, but I can take or leave a lot of the Brendan O Brien stuff, The Rising notwithstanding. Kanye is pretty deserving of the title, releasing some great albums and all, but his influence/impact hasn't really been felt yet. Arcade Fire on the other hand, yeah, they've made a huge impact, and Radiohead released two of the best albums of the decade with Kid A and In Rainbows. Toss up between Arcade Fire and Radiohead for me.

Does U2 deserve it more than any of the above? Not really. Hell, Coldplay had a bigger decade, IMO, building their career to the point they stand at today in a matter of 10 years.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Again I'd put U2 at the top for staying on top of the game, staying together and continuing to write together, was it their meteoric rise of the 80s or odd experimental success of the 90s? No, but NLOTH is a step in a new direction, and they're the untouchable live success, some of these other artists might have sold more singles downloads, but those numbers don't stack up against U2's billion dollar decade of touring.

RH of the 90's I love, the RH everyone else now loves of this decade? Way too into their own heads for much enjoyable listening personally. Kanye's a hell of a mixer/producer, but he's not much of a rap lyricist. Springsteen's had some great SONGS this decade, one masterpiece of an album (The Rising) and another pretty great one (Magic), but he's not exactly winning new fans across generations this decade. Arcade Fire, no thanks, some fun songs here and there and a legion of pretentious fans, regardless of your love for them indie kids, they're not ubiquitous or influential enough to 'define the decade'.

That's another thing, influence, in the waning popularity of the alternative rock of the late 90's and hideous 'punk' of the early 00's, the majority of popular rock music is chime-y U2 knockoff music, and there they are still standing head and shoulders above those competitors compositionally.

Those are the reasons why I'd actually vote for them, along with what Coriander said.