Vote for U2 on RS' 'Artist of the Decade' Poll - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 01:21 AM
It sucks when you get older and have to live up to peoples preconceptions. U2 made 3 solid albums in the decade, had the highest grossing tours ever at the time they were playing them and were at least in the top 3 popularity wise. Band of the decade would actually be selling U2 short....they are the band of this generation as far as consistancy goes.
__________________

__________________
Yahweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
It sucks when you get older and have to live up to peoples preconceptions. U2 made 3 solid albums in the decade, had the highest grossing tours ever at the time they were playing them and were at least in the top 3 popularity wise. Band of the decade would actually be selling U2 short....they are the band of this generation as far as consistancy goes.
Totally agree. Just like in the 80s when the Rolling Stones were the band of the decade.
__________________

__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
The most important artist artist of this decade is Kanye West, hands down.

Without West there IS no Blueprint, which was 2001, not 2004.

Also, Thru The Wire was early '03 on most people's mixtapes.

Not to mention all the artists other than Jay who used his sound like: Talib Kweli, Common, Mobb Deep, Jermaine Dupri, The Game, Alicia Keys, Janet Jackson, John Legend etc etc etc and it still goes on as I type.

Sorry U2.
Unfortunately, this only deals with the world of hip-hop. I think Radiohead's influence this decade transcended the rock and roll genre. You even had hip hop artists like Jay-Z and Kanye talking about them as an influence, and of course Gnarls Barkley covering them in conert.

And I still maintain that selling In Rainbows exclusively online (at least for a few months), is a MAJOR, major defining moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Totally agree. Just like in the 80s when the Rolling Stones were the band of the decade.
Heh.

Though to be fair, 2000's Shuttlecock is nowhere near as bad as what the Stones were doing in that decade.

I'd say a better comparison is Prince in the 90's. Guy was still on MTV a lot, had some popular singles, some very good albums which sold well, but no one would say Prince owned the decade.

You know, except for the delusional sycophant section of his fanbase.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Heh.

Though to be fair, 2000's Shuttlecock is nowhere near as bad as what the Stones were doing in that decade.

I'd say a better comparison is Prince in the 90's. Guy was still on MTV a lot, had some popular singles, some very good albums which sold well, but no one would say Prince owned the decade.

You know, except for the delusional sycophant section of his fanbase.
True. Perhaps I went too far. Shame on me for that.

Anyway, yeah, the Prince comparison's probably a better one.
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #80
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 01:21 AM
i thought it just felt weird to vote for u2 in this poll. Or bob dylan. I mean i know he had great critical acclaim and all.
__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 09:21 PM
I voted Funeral for album of the decade. It was down to that or Kid A for the two records that really repsesent a magnificent cohesive effort and focus.

And I like In Rainbows more than Kid A, to be honest. It's like how there are many better songs on Rubber Soul, but as a whole you can't touch Abbey Road.
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #82
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Unfortunately, this only deals with the world of hip-hop. I think Radiohead's influence this decade transcended the rock and roll genre. You even had hip hop artists like Jay-Z and Kanye talking about them as an influence, and of course Gnarls Barkley covering them in conert.
Uh, there are rock artists that cite hip hop veterans as influences also, so what?

Just because some hip hop guys have heard a Radiohead song or two, that hardly qualifies a statement that Radiohead has transcended their genre. They haven't. And they have a tendency to further insulate themselves deeper into it's core.

Kanye transcended "hip hop" with his first album, he blew it wide open. The notion that Kanye's influence and ensuing success is limited to the world of hip hop is frankly ridiculous.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #83
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,059
Local Time: 06:21 PM
I'm not sure of all this talk of Radiohead. I think Radiohead is a brilliant group and all, but to me they're the ultimate 90s band. I think their two most universally acclaimed LPs are The Bends and OK Computer, both very 90s. Besides which, the group formed in 1989, which is twenty years ago. (Even the oft-repeated Kid-A is from 2000, isn't it, which means they probably wrote it in the 90s? Well, technically, year 2000 actually is the 90s.)

I realize there's no reason why an established artist can't be "artist of the decade", but it just seems like it should be (and I'm sure corporate publications would prefer it to be) an artist who (a) emerged publicly, and (b) hit a creative and commerical peak during that decade, like U2 in the 80s or Radiohead/Oasis/Pearl Jam/Nirvana in the 90s.

Radiohead this decade is kind of like R.E.M. in the 90s -- very big and important, but past their zeitgeist moment (or maybe they passed it in 2000, which is a long time ago).

But, having said this, I haven't a clue who I would nominate as artist of the decade.

Kanye is perhaps jackass of the decade.
__________________
65980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #84
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I mainly chuckle when people call it innovative just because its electronic, somewhat ambient, and computer-blip-y, when it's no different than what Radiohead have put out for years.
The difference between In Rainbows and Kid A / Amnesiac is that In Rainbows is a "beautiful" album. It's almost like a lullaby at times, albeit somewhat somber or dreary maybe - and that doesn't happen in pop music too often. most of their stuff before that was in many ways almost ugly or harsh, almost cacophonous (thanks spellcheck, I would have been here til 2012 trying to figrure that one out) at times. Granted, they had moments of beauty, but nothing like In Rainbows.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
2012
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in San Leandro, CA
Posts: 6,341
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Unfortunately, this only deals with the world of hip-hop. I think Radiohead's influence this decade transcended the rock and roll genre. You even had hip hop artists like Jay-Z and Kanye talking about them as an influence, and of course Gnarls Barkley covering them in conert.
I'm joining this late, but...

If you are using influence as criteria for who is the "biggest artist" then I say U2 wins "hands down".

First, U2 is wildly respected in the hip-hop world (Jay-Z, Kanye and others are all over U2). While their sounds obviously differ from U2's, there is that respect and ambition to make music that is more than just fluff.

Then you have artists like The Killers, Coldplay, BRMC, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, Fall Out Boy, Kings of Leon, etc., some of the biggest names in young rock music today, clearly heavily influenced by U2 (sometimes, so much so that I swear I'm hearing a new U2 song).

Then there's the world of dance, and U2 has scored big with Perfecto and other artists in the world of remixes. U2's dance remixes have reached the top of the charts. Clearly U2 has had an influence there and audiences respond to the rock song revamped to a dance or groove track.

Therefore, if this feature is combined with over 10M in album sales and three #1 albums, along with three massive tours (just in the U.S.), clearly U2 has a very solid reason for being considered artist of the decade.
__________________
http://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #87
War Child
 
SBU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 763
Local Time: 02:21 AM
Course there the best band of the decade

Superbowl = Best superbowl performance ever, and one of the most emotional performances of the decade

Slane = Best gig of the decade

Elevation tour = awesome
Vertigo Tour = awesome
360 tour = freaking out of this world awesome

The band is nearly 50 and there still out and about owning the music industry.

Simple as.
__________________
SBU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Uh, there are rock artists that cite hip hop veterans as influences also, so what?

Just because some hip hop guys have heard a Radiohead song or two, that hardly qualifies a statement that Radiohead has transcended their genre. They haven't. And they have a tendency to further insulate themselves deeper into it's core.

Kanye transcended "hip hop" with his first album, he blew it wide open. The notion that Kanye's influence and ensuing success is limited to the world of hip hop is frankly ridiculous.
If by "transcending hip hop" you mean "having a lot of white people buy his albums", then fair point, I guess. I love Kanye's stuff, but I don't know that working with Jon Brion or Daft Punk, for example, is necessarily groundbreaking. There are other hip hop artists before him who have strayed into or fused with other types of music. He certainly defined a sound this decade, no doubt about that. But the reason he's been such a huge figure the last five years has just as much to do with his ridiculous public tantrums as it does with his music.

And I was simply listing examples of some people who you wouldn't expect to be into Radiohead talking about them. While Kanye is making his music MORE accessible, Radiohead began the decade straying about as far away as the rock sound, and the verse-chorus-verse format as any "rock" band has before. While they aren't the first band to utilize influences like Byrne/Eno, Can, Autechre, whatever, there certainly weren't artists of their stature doing anything like that at the turn of the century. And somehow, because of their already-present fanbase, and also because of the level of their talent, they got a lot of people listening to stuff that was probably well outside their comfort zone.

You say that Radiohead have insulated themselves deeper into the core of their genre. Exactly what genre is that? I don't hear other music that sounds like it, and on an album like Hail to the Thief, it's so stylistically all over the place, the notion that it could all be under some kind of blanket genre is ridiculous. Kid A and Amnesiac may both come from the same well, but the two follow-ups sound completely different, and different from each other. They took THREE separate approaches to making music this decade. ALL were well received, and all sold an impressive amount of albums considering how relatively inaccessible they were to the mainstream listener.

And on top of this, I will mention AGAIN their experiment with having people pay what they want for In Rainbows. This must be acknowledged as an important event in music, not just for the decade but for the entire history of the industry.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #89
War Child
 
believer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 611
Local Time: 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyBootsU2 View Post
Course there the best band of the decade

Superbowl = Best superbowl performance ever, and one of the most emotional performances of the decade

Slane = Best gig of the decade

Elevation tour = awesome
Vertigo Tour = awesome
360 tour = freaking out of this world awesome

The band is nearly 50 and there still out and about owning the music industry.

Simple as.

Agreed. what else can you say? that's all that needs to be said.
__________________
believer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,911
Local Time: 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
I'm joining this late, but...

If you are using influence as criteria for who is the "biggest artist" then I say U2 wins "hands down".

First, U2 is wildly respected in the hip-hop world (Jay-Z, Kanye and others are all over U2). While their sounds obviously differ from U2's, there is that respect and ambition to make music that is more than just fluff.

Then you have artists like The Killers, Coldplay, BRMC, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, Fall Out Boy, Kings of Leon, etc., some of the biggest names in young rock music today, clearly heavily influenced by U2 (sometimes, so much so that I swear I'm hearing a new U2 song).

Then there's the world of dance, and U2 has scored big with Perfecto and other artists in the world of remixes. U2's dance remixes have reached the top of the charts. Clearly U2 has had an influence there and audiences respond to the rock song revamped to a dance or groove track.

Therefore, if this feature is combined with over 10M in album sales and three #1 albums, along with three massive tours (just in the U.S.), clearly U2 has a very solid reason for being considered artist of the decade.
great post, as usual doctorwho.

i think a lot of the Radiohead nuts fail to look at the big picture. with that said, i can personally say that Radiohead was probably my "band of the decade" because i feel that their experimentation has opened the door for a lot of the bands i listen to now. plus, they've had 4 great albums this decade. but if i'm looking at the big picture, including all genres and, gulp, pop music, there's no way that Radiohead owned this decade.
__________________

__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rolling Stone Magazine's 5 star rated albums Maoilbheannacht Just the Bang and the Clatter 73 03-26-2009 09:59 PM
VOTE FOR U2 for "Internet Artist of the Year" Award Lise Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 15 01-07-2002 01:26 PM
VOTE VOTE VOTE in this simple, but important poll U2Fanatic4ever Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 59 12-20-2001 01:14 AM
Vote for U2 in Vh1 end of year poll! u2sangel Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 13 12-07-2001 03:49 AM
Rolling Stone Now has end of the year poll up - go vote!! womanfish Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 28 11-16-2001 11:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com