Vote for U2 on RS' 'Artist of the Decade' Poll - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Yes!

I still chuckle when I find someone who doesn't like it
don't get me wrong. i like "In Rainbows", but i don't think it even comes close to "OK Computer" or "Kid A".

Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i still chuckle when i hear people say that "In Rainbows" is Radiohead's best album.
So do I.

In the end I voted for Kid A as album of the decade.

U2 artist of the decade. Because really Coldplay? I like them but artist of the decade is a bit too much honor.

I also thought of Radiohead but their albums are pretty inconsistent (except for Kid A). Some brilliant songs but some really bad songs too (also on In Rainbows). ATYCLB, HTDAAB (that one too) and NLOTH are pretty consistent albums.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
So do I.
ATYCLB, HTDAAB (that one too) and NLOTH are pretty consistent albums.
Consistently mediocre.

ZING
Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:18 PM
It's reallly sad that I can't think of anyone I could happily pick as Artist of the Decade.

U2's work during this decade is mostly subpar compared to their '80s and '90s output. Sure, they sold huge numbers of albums during the '00s, but that shouldn't be enough to make someone Artist of the Decade.

Green Day released some of their best work during this decade, but even so I feel like Artist of the Decade should be someone who rose to prominence for the first time during that decade.

I loved Arcade Fire in 2004, but their appeal has worn thin for me. Besides, I don't think they ever got to the point where they were a household name, or are likely to.

I might be tempted to vote for Jack White, except that he's the one listed, not The White Stripes. I love the Racounteurs and the collaboration with Loretta Lynn, but if it weren't for the success of the White Stripes, none of that would have happened.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I'm sure B&C will have something big at the end of the year with these questions so I won't give an answer to them now but I do want to talk about U2's place in this decade.

Personally, I think to be considered the band of the decade you either had to come to prominence as many have said or be in your creative peak. I don't think the 2000's have been the band's creative peak. I'm not sure how many people would say that either. The question becomes who is? Here are a couple bands I think are in the discussion and I'm aware that I'll be leaving out some.

Coldplay: No band has climbed to the top this decade like Coldplay. Like them or not, A Rush of Blood To The Head and Viva La Vida are important records that will be on most best album lists for this decade for years to come. That makes me think this decade is their creative peak.

Arcade Fire: Neon Bible and Funeral will also be albums that will be remembered for years. Though they haven't reached Coldplay's popularity level, they have built a strong following and with many songs that are among the best of the decade. It will be hard for them to that work.

The Killers: They did rise to prominence and will undoubtably be part of any discussion of this decade in the future.

Metric: The real dark horse. They've built a passionate following with consistently strong albums. They are there too when it comes to best live acts of the decade. They might reach even higher levels of popularity in the 2010's but I suspect this is the decade that will be viewed as their peak.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #36
The Fly

Best Album: "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" - Phoenix
Best Song: "All My Friends" - LCD Soundsystem

Artist of the Decade: I've been having this conversation with so many of my friends within the past two years, and we still have yet to come to any conclusion on who the true "Artist of the Decade" would be... Acts like Coldplay, Eminem, Radiohead, U2, Springsteen, and KanYe (and even The Killers --- great studio albums, vastly overrated live in my opinion) have all been discussed, but with the way that the music industry is now, I believe it's now rather difficult to find one artist who has truly "defined" a decade.

What do you think?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 12:18 AM
i also felt it should be about a artist who made his mark for the first time, or biggest mark ever fro them, in this decade. so bob dylan really has no place on here. and all the other old bands. cause thats really more like your giving a lifetime achievement award then.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
its sad if its really u2. not because they are not great. because a band that came out in 1980 shouldn't define 2000-2009. its proly coldplay and Eminem. Regardless of anyone's feelings on their music, they did dominate. Bob dylan, Bruce springsteen,, even Green day and u2 lol i mean, no offense but each decades need their own heroes. Green day is comeback story if anything.. Radiohead could get album of the decade with KID A, but not artist of the decade.
Coldplay? Dominating U2? No idea what you're thinking...it's not even close...

I think we should include everything these bands have done...like someone else said, their overall mark on the decade....with ATYCLB and its connection with 9/11...from the Elevation Tour to Vertigo to 360...revolutionizing stadium rock in a way....their longevity and maintained relevance...I vote U2.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post

I think we should include everything these bands have done...like someone else said, their overall mark on the decade....with ATYCLB and its connection with 9/11...from the Elevation Tour to Vertigo to 360...revolutionizing stadium rock in a way....their longevity and maintained relevance...I vote U2.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #40
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Could Arcade Fire, Kanye, or even a band like Pearl Jam even compete on the longevity front? Yeah, that's a great trait to have, but how is it relevant to their musical output of this decade.

Their role after 9/11 as the first major band to tour again was huge, but was anybody openly challenging them based upon what they're releasing now? U2 is a strange case in that they don't really have any contemporaries to compare themselves to, and the acts that would fight for this Artist of the Decade spot are inspired by their earlier material.

There's no Beatles/Beach Boys rivalry at play, where one puts out Rubber Soul, then the other puts out Pet Sounds, then Sgt. Pepper as a response to that, you know? Who did that with ATYCLB, or The Bomb? With Radiohead, you'd have acts trying to top Kid A, or even with Wilco, people trying to top Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

U2, as well-esteemed and successful as they've been this decade, to me, are almost removed from this sort of competition because they have nothing to win at this point. The best period in almost any artist's work comes when they're hungry for respect or a sense of legitimacy, and they've already achieved that and then some. I'd consider them The Band of the '80s in that sense, but now, they're simply a great band still putting out relatively solid material, and that's that.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Could Arcade Fire, Kanye, or even a band like Pearl Jam even compete on the longevity front? Yeah, that's a great trait to have, but how is it relevant to their musical output of this decade.

Their role after 9/11 as the first major band to tour again was huge, but was anybody openly challenging them based upon what they're releasing now? U2 is a strange case in that they don't really have any contemporaries to compare themselves to, and the acts that would fight for this Artist of the Decade spot are inspired by their earlier material.

There's no Beatles/Beach Boys rivalry at play, where one puts out Rubber Soul, then the other puts out Pet Sounds, then Sgt. Pepper as a response to that, you know? Who did that with ATYCLB, or The Bomb? With Radiohead, you'd have acts trying to top Kid A, or even with Wilco, people trying to top Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

U2, as well-esteemed and successful as they've been this decade, to me, are almost removed from this sort of competition because they have nothing to win at this point. The best period in almost any artist's work comes when they're hungry for respect or a sense of legitimacy, and they've already achieved that and then some. I'd consider them The Band of the '80s in that sense, but now, they're simply a great band still putting out relatively solid material, and that's that.
No competition? Are you kidding? U2 are generally acknowledged as the biggest band in the world....exactly why all other bands are trying to take over that spot, from the Killers to Coldplay to Oasis...even bands like Kings of Leon whose popularity exploded with the mainstream Only By the Night ...they're all after U2, and U2 is well aware of this.

Back in 2004, right before the Vertigo Tour kicked off, U2 was interviewed in France, and they directly responded to this...Bono said something like "how embarrassing will it be if we're still the best band in the world in five years? Bands like Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand should be confident, but we're not gonna make it easy for them. We're going to make their lives a living hell." Well guess what? They're still on top.

My point is that U2 have been fighting to remain on top for the entire decade ever since Pop/Popmart.

Also, you might not be able to find an album to album line of competition between U2 and another band like you mentioned between the Beatles and the Beach Boys, but I don't see how that really matters...it's about the big picture....the competition is still there.

And btw, a song like Moment of Surrender is not "relatively solid material"...that song is downright BRILLIANT.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Coldplay.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 12:18 AM
I see it as more about a newer artist type of thing.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
No competition? Are you kidding? U2 are generally acknowledged as the biggest band in the world....exactly why all other bands are trying to take over that spot, from the Killers to Coldplay to Oasis...even bands like Kings of Leon whose popularity exploded with the mainstream Only By the Night ...they're all after U2, and U2 is well aware of this.

Back in 2004, right before the Vertigo Tour kicked off, U2 was interviewed in France, and they directly responded to this...Bono said something like "how embarrassing will it be if we're still the best band in the world in five years? Bands like Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand should be confident, but we're not gonna make it easy for them. We're going to make their lives a living hell." Well guess what? They're still on top.

My point is that U2 have been fighting to remain on top for the entire decade ever since Pop/Popmart.

Also, you might not be able to find an album to album line of competition between U2 and another band like you mentioned between the Beatles and the Beach Boys, but I don't see how that really matters...it's about the big picture....the competition is still there.

And btw, a song like Moment of Surrender is not "relatively solid material"...that song is downright BRILLIANT.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i still chuckle when i hear people say that "In Rainbows" is Radiohead's best album.
Yeah. I consider the album decent, but nothing more, and certainly nothing on the brilliance of Kid A and OK Computer. I mainly chuckle when people call it innovative just because its electronic, somewhat ambient, and computer-blip-y, when it's no different than what Radiohead have put out for years.