Vote for U2 on RS' 'Artist of the Decade' Poll - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:42 PM
How does Jack White make the short list and not Killers?

Ah well, c'mon U2 or Coldplay...Black Eyed Peas would be a worthy winner too.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:42 AM
For me it's Kid A vs NLOTH and U2 vs Radiohead. Don't know what to choose.
Song of the decade is Idioteque.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 03:42 AM
As much as I love and respect U2, I would consider it pretty sad if readers of a popular mag like Rolling Stone (bear in mind this represents the American, corporate-rock perspective) voted U2 artist of the decade. Frankly, they're just too old. It'd be like a 1969 poll voting Benny Goodman artist of the decade. Indeed, it should be probably be Coldplay (not my critical opinion, but at least they're of this decade primarily). Kanye = too black and controversial for white mainstream (not to mention talentless). Arcade Fire = too arty. Radiohead = too 90s.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Sad to say it but I can't honestly say U2 were the best band of the decade, I guess Radiohead deserve it. Best artist of the 80's or 90's? Then i would vote for U2.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 04:42 AM
I don't think I could give U2 album of the decade for any. JT would lose to Thriller or maybe Purple Rain or Born In The USA.

AB would be a contender for the 90's, but there were so many good albums back then (and you know Nirvana would run away with it even if they shouldn't.) I don't know if you could give U2 artist of the decade for any of the three; 80's, 90's or 00's.

They weren't big enough long enough in the 80's to overtake Michael Jackson and they'd face stiff competition from GNR during their peak years.

They peaked too early in the 90's; again losing to Nirvana, or dark horses Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam

And in the 00's, I'd say they were still relevent, but that relevence was based largely on JT/AB rather than their current work. Love them or hate them, gotta give it to Coldplay. Album: Rush of Blood; song: Yellow; and Artist.

Looking back, it's really quite amazing that U2 has become the instituion they have. They haven't had a number one single since 1987. Their two most celebrated albums came out four years apart and basically twenty years ago. They haven't been in the top 10 of the US singles charts since 1997; and those singles are now viewed as a misstep. Their comeback album, ATYCLB peaked at #3, and yielded only one top 40 single and its follow up while selling quite well is viewed as among their weakest output by their most hardcore fans.

How did they manage this?!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:42 AM
My god! DMB isn't on the list?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65980 View Post
As much as I love and respect U2, I would consider it pretty sad if readers of a popular mag like Rolling Stone (bear in mind this represents the American, corporate-rock perspective) voted U2 artist of the decade. Frankly, they're just too old. It'd be like a 1969 poll voting Benny Goodman artist of the decade. Indeed, it should be probably be Coldplay (not my critical opinion, but at least they're of this decade primarily). Kanye = too black and controversial for white mainstream (not to mention talentless). Arcade Fire = too arty. Radiohead = too 90s.
I think it just shows how poor a job the record industry is doing. None of the acts coming out of the '00s could even think about pulling off a stadium tour at this point. I'd say Coldplay is the only one who'd even have a shot right now. When the number one album of the year is Taylor Swift (who incidentally has the stage presence of a sponge and can't sing live anyway) and the number 2 album is there only because the artist died, well, that's just sad. There is good music out there, but the recording industry is totally missing the boat.

I also think it's a testament to U2 that they are even in the conversation. It just shows that they are still relevant going in their 3rd decade which is pretty fricking awesome.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Album of the decade: In Rainbows, Radiohead
Song of the decade: Intervention, Arcade Fire
Artist of the decade: U2
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
Refugee

they shouldn't even let you vote for bands that old. I mean in eniemns case, he had one big album in the 1999, but really it was this decade he showed what he could do. Green day already had a big album much earlier , and then a somewhat big album and then already showed signs of tapering off. Bob Dylan can't win,lol. If it came to a hip/hop rap artist, then its jay z. For giving a shit enough to release 7 albums. And all #1 albums. u2 almost didn't give us 3 albums due to the delay. lol.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 03:42 PM
In Rainbows is easily album of the decade (and best Radiohead album imo)

but i obviously voted for NLOTH

artist of the decade.....i'd say it's a toss up between Radiohead & U2.

again, my vote went to U2!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #26
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I put In Rainbows for Album of the Decade
Trapped in the Closet for Song of the Decade
Radiohead for Arist.

Rolling Stone sucks and this "list" just further proves it. I like how they threw Conor Oberst on there. And Kings of Leon. The fucking Black Eyed Peas? Jesus H Christ <--- He probably wrote better music than 90% of those on the list, and as far as I know, Jesus didn't play an instrument. Fall Out Boy? My Chemical Romance?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

i still chuckle when i hear people say that "In Rainbows" is Radiohead's best album.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #28
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65980 View Post
So because they're almost 50 they shouldn't win? I don't follow that logic, sorry
Old 11-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Trapped in the Closet for Song of the Decade
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i still chuckle when i hear people say that "In Rainbows" is Radiohead's best album.
I still chuckle when I find someone who doesn't like it
Old 11-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #30
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I think that their longevity and relevance should be considered when you consider the best rock groups of all-time, but as far as this decade goes, are they really that influential? As far as iconography goes, it's hard to top their Super Bowl halftime show. That still gets me 7 years later.

I'd say The Strokes and The White Stripes helped with that garage rock revival and The Killers were really the frontrunners of that return of '80s-esque electro-rock.

While they've produced solid material and still have a wide following, I don't think their '00s material, aside from a few contributions, has been "great" enough to put them at the best of the decade. Bands like Coldplay, Radiohead, Keane, and maybe The Killers are drawing from '80s and '90s U2 stylistic ideas, but you don't see people struggling to keep up with "Vertigo" or "Elevation," they're surpassing it.