Vangelis= Awesome Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Vangelis music is so powerful and breath taking. I just listed to two songs from the Alexander soundtrack and the theme to the World Cup 2002. Anyone else like Vangelis?

I love Vangelis, and have loved his work for a long time. Blade Runner is still one of the best movie soundtracks ever, and was just released not too long ago in a nice 25th anniversary set with previously unreleased music and a new disc of stuff. Very cool.

It's too bad most people only know about him because of Chariots Of Fire.

Lol at me having the World Cup theme on me Ipod, but there's no denying it, a cracking feel-good tune. Nice bouncy beat.....

They do have a non-pop version of that same world cup song. Much better.

I cannot tell a lie: I still get goosebumps from the Chariots of Fire music, even though I was, like, 8 when it came out.

I'll have to get hardy to post here. He knew of Vangelis way before Chariots Of Fire made him famous. It's been so long since I've listened to him. I think I recall an early release that was really good - Can You Hear The Dogs Barking. And Antarctica too.

One time back in the 80s, he came to the U.S. to play. I'm not sure how many shows (hardy might know), but we got to see him perform at UCLA. Had front row seats, unfortunately on the wrong side (blocked view). At one point, he mentioned Jon Anderson (Yes / Jon & Vangelis) was in the audience, and he came on stage & performed with Vangelis. We could have stretched our legs out to trip him :giggle:

absolutely, I bought one time his Best Of album, and loved most of it (some where a bit :|), but on the whole, the way some of his music just builds and builds. I used to use it to paint too, because it inspired the way I painted my own type landscapes/skies. :D:D

I'll have to get hardy to post here. He knew of Vangelis way before Chariots Of Fire made him famous. It's been so long since I've listened to him. I think I recall an early release that was really good - Can You Hear The Dogs Barking. And Antarctica too.

One time back in the 80s, he came to the U.S. to play. I'm not sure how many shows (hardy might know), but we got to see him perform at UCLA. Had front row seats, unfortunately on the wrong side (blocked view). At one point, he mentioned Jon Anderson (Yes / Jon & Vangelis) was in the audience, and he came on stage & performed with Vangelis. We could have stretched our legs out to trip him :giggle:

That would have been a one-off performance, as he never really tours. He just does one show here and there and that's it, and you guys are very lucky to have seen him. I think that's the last time he's even been in the U.S.

A relatively unknown but fantastic album is Direct, released around 1988 or so. Great stuff.

That would have been a one-off performance, as he never really tours. He just does one show here and there and that's it, and you guys are very lucky to have seen him. I think that's the last time he's even been in the U.S.

A relatively unknown but fantastic album is Direct, released around 1988 or so. Great stuff.

I thought it might have been a one-off performance, I couldn't remember. I know he doesn't "tour". We knew we were very fortunate. Now why hasn't hardy posted here! :grumpy:

Mm-kay. Yeah, been into Mr. Papathanassiou :D since early 70's. He's done many many soundtracks for European films, on top of a large solo output. Of course, after the success of Chariots, he got a lot of work on slightly more mainstream films. Hard to mistake his sound, it's very unique. I don't believe he flies, which is why the UCLA show was such a surprise. I was right on top of that, got some of the first tix and they turned out to be probably the worst in the house. Couldn't see him from up close cuz of all the keyboards. But he doesn't do anything anyhow, so we could hear just fine. Don't remember what he played, except the killer song from Heaven & Hell that Jon Anderson sings, 'So Long Ago, So Clear'. Very fortunate Anderson was there that night. That was the highlight of the evening for me.

Phanan, the last cd I got from him was Direct. Definitely some great stuff on there. The track 'The Oracle of Apollo' is right up there with his best solo work, really sums up everything I have love about him. Haven't kept track of anything since.

For fans of Chariots, I think his collection "Themes" would be a good way to go. Many wonderful main themes from films like Missing, BladeRunner, Opera Sauvage, Antarctica, The Bounty and some nice cuts from solo albums. As far as solo work goes, I'd recommend Heaven & Hell, Spiral, Albedo O.39, China.

His soundtracks tend to be very dreamy in overall sound, tremendous soothing background music. Very much like a lot of Morricone. Both from similar part of the world, Greece & Italy. 'Apocalypse des Animaux' probably my overall favorite. Some of his earlier soundtracks will have a great side of typically lush Vangelis, and another side of totally whack sounds, like an alternate world :shrug: Same with his solo stuff.

Oh, and Phanan. That 25th anniversary Blade Runner, is the extra disc all Blade Runner related or is there other stuff included as well?

His classic work from the 70's really stands out, of course. Heaven & Hell, China, and Opera Sauvage are fantastic. Spiral is ok, but it has To The Unknown Man on it, which is worth it for that alone.

He's also done some albums with Jon Anderson that have some really good tracks.

After Direct, he's had some decent albums. 1492 is a classic, but other albums such as The City, Voices and Oceanic have their moments. El Greco is fantastic, while later releases such as Mythodea and the soundtrack to Alexander have some good things but are not as consistent.

The new Blade Runner box set has three discs. The first CD is the original CD remastered, the second features previously unreleased material that is awesome, and the last disc is new material that Vangelis recently composed that is inspired by the film. It sounds good but isn't like the earlier material at all.

I've got a compilaton bootleg that features some hard to find music that's pretty cool. He's apparently made a ton of music that he's never bothered to release. Here's hoping he does some sort of career spanning box set in the future.

Blade Runner is still one of the best movie soundtracks ever . . .

:up: :yes:

I love that soundtrack and listen to it all the time. I also have "The City", which I've listened to quite a bit and really like as well.

I've always wanted to get more of his stuff, but he just has SO MUCH and I never know what's good and what's sub-par, so, thus far I haven't ventured any further than the City.

With the Doves namedropping him in regards to the first song on their new album, it inspired me to listen to the remastered Blade Runner today.

Blade Runner Blues :drool:

Just thought I'd share that with everyone...

Back
Top Bottom