Unpopular musical opinions II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Bad when I'm in the mood but sometimes I turn it off after 3 minutes.

I prefer U2's version of Helter Skelter to the original.

I agree. I'd probably even put the Siouxsie and The Banshees version above it too. :up:

I prefer Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe to the original.

Completely agree here too. :up:

Speaking of covers, I don't think any artist's songs are improved as much as Bob Dylan's when covered by someone else.

I really don't enjoy Blue Monday, it bores me.

Why does that have to be widely recognised as the definitive and the greatest New Order song, and not one of the best songs of all time (in my reckoning), True Faith.

It frustrates me, but I am seem to be alone in my frustration, and hence my opinion is unpopular.

Bob Dylan has an awful voice. :down:

Kate Bush, however, has a great one. :up:

The one Beatle cover that I'd say surpasses the original is Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends." He takes a novelty track and turns it into something epic.

I prefer U2's version of Helter Skelter to the original.

I agree. I'd probably even put the Siouxsie and The Banshees version above it too. :up:

I can get behind this as well. The Beatles' version is rather plodding and tuneless.

I really don't enjoy Blue Monday, it bores me.

Why does that have to be widely recognised as the definitive and the greatest New Order song, and not one of the best songs of all time (in my reckoning), True Faith.

I don't really dislike Blue Monday, but it's far from one of their best. I'm not so sure it's considered their finest hous. I think most people who have heard more than that prefer Bizarre Love Triangle and Temptation, not to mention Age of Consent, which has grown steadily in popularity.

I still really like Helter Skelter, but all it was McCartney's attempt to create the heavier song than I Can See for Miles.

The one Beatle cover that I'd say surpasses the original is Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends." He takes a novelty track and turns it into something epic.

/beatlescoversdiscussion

he did a pretty good job on She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, as well.

my unpopular opinion today is that i think Revolver is hideously overrated.

so do i, but it seems to be really high up on most of those lists and even tops some of them.

I certainly don't think it's the greatest album ever, if that's what you're getting at, the fact that it always does so well on lists by the media. Some days it's my favourite Beatles album at least, but more often I prefer Sgt. Peppers or Abbey Road.

Plus, it has actual complete lyrics, and not a half verse of Bono singing outright gibberish.

Not that I don't enjoy that moment, but still.

:lol:

It is enjoyable!

Yes, the album version is fantastic and works better with the sound of the album. Still, a shame about the diminished bass line and the omission of the "NO! NET!" at the end. And I'll never understand how the latter didn't make it to the live version. I want to see them in public and scream this into their ears (after I humbly ask about the future of Mercock).

I can't think of anything I enjoy about NLOTH2, honestly, at least nothing that NLOTH1 doesn't already have. NLOTH2 sounds rushed and careless, the vocal take is FAR worse, and the melody doesn't suit the tempo. They definitely made the right choice leaving it off the album.

Bono forgetting the lyrics in the studio cracks my ass up though.

Plus, it has actual complete lyrics, and not a half verse of Bono singing outright gibberish.

Not that I don't enjoy that moment, but still.

:lol:

Does anyone know what the heck he was trying to sing there anyway? I'd love to hear your takes on it guys! :lol:

I love NLOTH2 a really huge lot. From the moment we got it from the boots single I had it on repeat until the album came out. And yeah, if it was on NLOTH it would've been my favourite song. It definitely is my favourite song from this decade. The uptempo beat, AWESOME bassline, great drums... I don't care the vocals are worse than on NLOTH or the guitar is a bit muffy.. the whole NO! NO LINE! Part is awesome too btw. And the proper outro. *rambles on* :love:

Neil Young - My My, Hey Hey > Hey Hey, My My. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for Powderfinger, which is 10,000 kinds of fuckmazing, I would have no trepidations about saying the acoustic half of Rust Never Sleeps is far superior to the electric half. And I have nothing against Neil Young's electric side; Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is my favorite album of his, I just feel the songs are a lot stronger in this case.

I know :love:Dalton would agree with me, nearly every one of those songs references Native American culture.

The combined version of both of the iterations of "No Line" is fantastic, albeit slightly muddled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom