Unpopular musical opinions II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's like because john died and paul didn't it means john gets all the credit and respect while paul is mocked consistently. my favourite beatles song is let it be, album abbey road and we have paul to thank for those.

there's nothing wrong with taking mick and the boys over the beatles, either. in a lot of people's eyes they really aren't that good.

it's like because john died and paul didn't it means john gets all the credit and respect while paul is mocked consistently. my favourite beatles song is let it be, album abbey road and we have paul to thank for those.

there's nothing wrong with taking mick and the boys over the beatles, either. in a lot of people's eyes they really aren't that good.

Why does every McCartney fan have to tell every Lennon fan that "the only reason you like Lennon more is because he died"?

touche.

but leaving aside the death, i do honestly believe that Paul gets unfairly mocked.

George Harrison is my favourite of the lot, anyway.

A Day in the Life is a great song, but I don't like it more than the three I mentioned. Maybe I'm just a sucker for weepy ballads.

I also understand the John Lennon thing, i don't think it has anything to do with his death. But I really don't understand the Paul hate.

I think because John Lennon was "cooler" than McCartney, he gets credit for being the better songwriter. And while I think Lennon may have a larger quantity of memorable songs, McCartney's smaller amount has greater value. Quality over quantity.

well you definitely posted that opinion in the right thread.

or is it a well-known fact that one half of one of the most renowned singer-songwriter partnerships ever and one quarter of probably the biggest band ever was a redundant hack? i'm just so out of the loop here!

well you definitely posted that opinion in the right thread.

or is it a well-known fact that one half of one of the most renowned singer-songwriter partnerships ever and one quarter of probably the biggest band ever was a redundant hack? i'm just so out of the loop here!

I mean in comparison to Lennon. And I never said he was a hack.

Here's something unpopular. I enjoy Antics as much as Turn On The Bright Lights.

That is indeed unpopular.

The White Stripes are one of the most boring bands of the 21st century

:up: Dunno if it's so much that they are boring for me, but they just sound 'orrible, mainly due to White's whiny vocal. Hardest Button to Button is a case in point. I do like Doorbell and Blue Orchid though. The other songs I've heard can go and shove it.

McCartney does cop it a lil harsh I think. Yes, some of his tunes are corny and a lil try hard to say the least (Oh Darling, Honey Pie, Ob La Di, Ob La Da), but he was merely writing what he wanted to write, and ultimately I reckon it's fabulous that such songs are recognised as part of the Beatles canon. It's just very cool.

Overall, I probably prefer Lennon, but there's no hiding from the fact that Macca could write mindblowing classics (Let It Be, We Can Work It Out, Hey Jude) if he really wanted to.

Both are brill.

well i respectfully disagree, and i'm off to maccas for now anyway. i will leave one unpopular opinion though - Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, all those Summer of 69/Livin' on a Prayer etc songs and bands are great for what their worth.

Waking up The Neighbours (Adams) is one of my all-time favourites.

McCartney lacked the quantity because he was so redundant.

Perhaps with the Beatles. McCartney's solo career, even up to 1980 (which is the only fair barometer) showed far greater variety than Lennon's IMO. Not saying the albums he crafted were superior, of course.

I don't care what anyone says. The three best Beatles songs were Let It Be, Yesterday, and The Long and Winding Road, and all 3 are McCartney, all the way.

A Day in the Life is a great song, but I don't like it more than the three I mentioned. Maybe I'm just a sucker for weepy ballads.

Yes. You're a SAP. Of course you like Macca better.

And I'll take Mick and the boys over the Beatles any day.

Couldn't one make the argument that people think the Stones are "cooler", and that to prefer them is the same thing as why you think people prefer Lennon? Because they have more attitude?

Personal preferences aside, the notion that the Stones made a greater contribution to music is a joke. Great musicians, live performers, songwriters, no doubt, but ultimately the best "rock and roll" band and nothing more. As artists they didn't come close to hitting the peaks that The Beatles did.

Personal preferences aside, the notion that the Stones made a greater contribution to music is a joke. Great musicians, live performers, songwriters, no doubt, but ultimately the best "rock and roll" band and nothing more. As artists they didn't come close to hitting the peaks that The Beatles did.

summed it up perfectly. :up:

Well, according to this board I have horrible taste in music if I like Kings of Loen

Not necessarily. Their second album is pretty damn good, and the debut was solid. But if you think their latest, one of the most MOR, offensively bland mega-albums in recently memory, is some kind of second coming of Christ, I can't help you.

Well, according to this board I have horrible taste in music if I like Kings of Loen

Not necessarily. Their second album is pretty damn good, and the debut was solid. But if you think their latest, one of the most MOR, offensively bland mega-albums in recently memory, is some kind of second coming of Christ, I can't help you.

What about if I say I like Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water?

Then I'd tell you the Lance's Mom thread is in the main portion of Lemonade Stand.

Nah, I'm a big fan of the first 2...like the latest albums, but no...I don't think OBTD or BOTT are the "second coming of Christ".

Yes. You're a SAP. Of course you like Macca better.

Ouch? Necessary?

Couldn't one make the argument that people think the Stones are "cooler", and that to prefer them is the same thing as why you think people prefer Lennon? Because they have more attitude?

This could be true. Not for me personally, I just like the Stones' songs better. They're grittier, and I just like that more.

You do bring up an interesting point though. When people ask that question "are you a Beatles man or a Stones man?" it's almost like saying "are you a bookworm or a manly man?", which is a shame because it shouldn't be that way at all.

But this is all personal opinion. It may be unpopular (hence the title of the thread), but I wouldn't call it a joke. I don't think it's a joke to say that the Stones wrote better songs, because I think they did.

Nah, I'm a big fan of the first 2...like the latest albums, but no...I don't think OBTD or BOTT are the "second coming of Christ".

I actually like OBTN and BOTT more than YaYM and Aha. I like that big, grandiose style more than the spunky garage rock.

I think you can make one classic record out of all of their songs. The first half of Only By The Night is ace, but it trails off considerably in the second half of the album.

Yeah, Cold Desert was good. So is Frontier City, actually, but I don't own the song because I'm still an old school bastard who buys CDs from the store, not albums from iTunes, so I don't get the bonus tracks. Damn you, apple.

"Closer" is the only song on that album that doesn't make me want to shove a butter knife into my ears.

Yeah, Cold Desert was good. So is Frontier City, actually, but I don't own the song because I'm still an old school bastard who buys CDs from the store, not albums from iTunes, so I don't get the bonus tracks. Damn you, apple.

HAHA

I'm in the same position

"Closer" is the only song on that album that doesn't make me want to shove a butter knife into my ears.

2v2wmev.jpg

But do you like their older material?

I don't care what anyone says. The three best Beatles songs were Let It Be, Yesterday, and The Long and Winding Road, and all 3 are McCartney, all the way.

And I'll take Mick and the boys over the Beatles any day.

If you're going to list Paul ballads, at least put "Hey Jude" up there.

"Strawberry Fields" is my favorite Beatles track, too. I'll put down McCartney because of his trend of making music for old people (see: "Honey Pie," "When I'm Sixty-Four"), but I still have tremendous respect for him as a singer/songwriter. Lennon's tracks with the Beatles rarely come off as saccharine, but I think we all can agree that they weren't as good separately as they were together.

What are your favorite Stones songs/albums?

Ouch? Necessary?

This could be true. Not for me personally, I just like the Stones' songs better. They're grittier, and I just like that more.

You do bring up an interesting point though. When people ask that question "are you a Beatles man or a Stones man?" it's almost like saying "are you a bookworm or a manly man?", which is a shame because it shouldn't be that way at all.

But this is all personal opinion. It may be unpopular (hence the title of the thread), but I wouldn't call it a joke. I don't think it's a joke to say that the Stones wrote better songs, because I think they did.

Because every Beatles fan is waiting at the library outside of the bar that all of the Stones fans frequent.

The thread is called "Unpopular musical opinions", people! Not "Unpopular musical opinions that we can attack and make fun of".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom