Unpopular musical opinions II - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #121
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
The thread is called "Unpopular musical opinions", people! Not "Unpopular musical opinions that we can attack and make fun of".

Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #123
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
The thread is called "Unpopular musical opinions", people! Not "Unpopular musical opinions that we can attack and make fun of".
No discussion, everyone. Just list your opinions and move along. People will read them and react as if nothing happened. Carry on with your lives.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #124
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:47 AM
+ SE
Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #126
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:47 AM
This is why I shudder at the thought of having kids.

Carry on.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #129
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Back on topic please.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #130
War Child

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
If you're going to list Paul ballads, at least put "Hey Jude" up there.

What are your favorite Stones songs/albums?

Because every Beatles fan is waiting at the library outside of the bar that all of the Stones fans frequent.
1. "Hey Jude" is a good one, but I wouldn't put it in my list of favorite Beatles songs. It's all personal taste, sure, but that one never "did it" for me.

I guess I should let it be known that I'm 23 years old. I never experienced "Beatlemania" and the Beatles' impact on the world was learned, not experienced, in my case.

2. My favorite Stones songs and albums normally come out of that "golden" period: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. Exile would probably be my favorite. Though I also really liked Some Girls and Undercover of the Night. The only real "bleh" Rolling Stones albums, in my opinion, were Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon, and half of Voodoo Lounge. I'm not crazy about A Bigger Bang either, to be honest. Basically everything after Tattoo You I'm not into.

Favorite Stones songs? "Shine A Light", "Rocks Off", "Tumbling Dice", and "No Expectations", and "Brown Sugar".

3. I think you missed my point with the "bookworm" thing. I agree that that's a ridiculous thing to say, but it seems that when people ask that question "Beatles or Stones" that that's what they're implying. I didn't say it was correct, I said that was how it was.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #131
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
1. "Hey Jude" is a good one, but I wouldn't put it in my list of favorite Beatles songs. It's all personal taste, sure, but that one never "did it" for me.

I guess I should let it be known that I'm 23 years old. I never experienced "Beatlemania" and the Beatles' impact on the world was learned, not experienced, in my case.

2. My favorite Stones songs and albums normally come out of that "golden" period: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. Exile would probably be my favorite. Though I also really liked Some Girls and Undercover of the Night. The only real "bleh" Rolling Stones albums, in my opinion, were Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon, and half of Voodoo Lounge. I'm not crazy about A Bigger Bang either, to be honest. Basically everything after Tattoo You I'm not into.

Favorite Stones songs? "Shine A Light", "Rocks Off", "Tumbling Dice", and "No Expectations", and "Brown Sugar".

3. I think you missed my point with the "bookworm" thing. I agree that that's a ridiculous thing to say, but it seems that when people ask that question "Beatles or Stones" that that's what they're implying. I didn't say it was correct, I said that was how it was.
I'm younger than you and can relate to what you're talking about re: Beatlemania and such.

Sweet, that's where I'd be regarding the Stones as well. I'd put Goats Head Soup and Satanic Majesties Request on the short-list of awesome albums though. Good song picks, too. "Gimme Shelter" is my favorite song of all-time. OF ALL-TIME.

I'm not sure if I agree with that statement either. Most of the people that ask that question mostly consider post-Help! Beatles vs. "Golden Age" Stones, as you'd call it, from my experience with it. It's like asking The Who vs. Zeppelin or something. They're only drawing from a specific period for each band as opposed to an entire body of work.

The Stones' initial success came out of the fact that they were the "bad boy" alternative to The Beatles anyway, and I kind of take that into consideration when I compare the two acts.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #132
War Child

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I'm younger than you and can relate to what you're talking about re: Beatlemania and such.

Sweet, that's where I'd be regarding the Stones as well. I'd put Goats Head Soup and Satanic Majesties Request on the short-list of awesome albums though. Good song picks, too. "Gimme Shelter" is my favorite song of all-time. OF ALL-TIME.

I'm not sure if I agree with that statement either. Most of the people that ask that question mostly consider post-Help! Beatles vs. "Golden Age" Stones, as you'd call it, from my experience with it. It's like asking The Who vs. Zeppelin or something. They're only drawing from a specific period for each band as opposed to an entire body of work.

The Stones' initial success came out of the fact that they were the "bad boy" alternative to The Beatles anyway, and I kind of take that into consideration when I compare the two acts.
Forgot about "Gimme Shelter". Definitely a classic.

I agree that the Stones' initial success came out of being the bad boy alternative to The Beatles, but once again, much like Beatlemania, I'm free from that historical perspective. I just view it all at once: 40 years later, which act's songs do I like more?

This isn't meant to be Beatle-bashing on my part, by the way. Or Lennon bashing. I like the Beatles a lot (though I do have to admit that I was always late to that party). I just like the Stones more. Similarly, I like a lot of Lennon's songs. It's just McCartney's always did more for me.

Anyway, it's bedtime in Baltimore. Continue tomorrow?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #133
45:33

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Tumbling Dice was what won me over for Exile, after disliking it, or not getting it, for ages. Which album is Gimme Shelter on? I've wanted Beggars Banquet for years but it's always been to expensive.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #134
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

i've never been a grunge fan.
All Media Reviews: Dave Grohl - WTF...

Dave Grohl - WTF...
bumped 10/6/09 11:56PM

original 8/19/09
is so special about this guy? I'm partially echoing a friend of mine's sentiments, but I agree with him for the most part.

Why do all these *legendary* musicians keep kissing this guy's ass? McCartney, Chris Squire, the Rush guys, Mike Portnoy, to now John Paul Jones in this new *supergroup* he's in with the Josh Homme from another highly overated band in Queens of the Stone Age.

Seriously, why in the blue fuck does this guy keep getting heaps of praise? Nirvana sucked all kinds of ass, and more or less became the most over-rated band of the last 20 years, if not ever. And The Foo Fighters pretty much milked the fact he came from Nirvana, and arguably, are even worse, lol.

What makes him so fucking special? There's literally hundreds of other musicians that have shown an infinite amount of more talent, than this clown. Perhaps he, like Cobain, has found some kind of way to hypnotically cause them to like him and his music. Otherwise, it's highly baffling, and the music industry would be a far-better place if he'd just go the fuck away.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Tumbling Dice was what won me over for Exile, after disliking it, or not getting it, for ages. Which album is Gimme Shelter on? I've wanted Beggars Banquet for years but it's always been to expensive.
"Tumbling Dice" is one of their best songs by a wide margin, and that's coming from a Stones fan who considers himself more of a Beatles fan. It's is on my Mount Rushmore of Stones songs along with "Gimme Shelter," "Moonlight Mile," and "Wild Horses." And "Gimme Shelter" is on Let It Bleed, one of the two Stones old LPs I own along with an original pressing of Sticky Fingers complete with zipper. Need to grab a few more of their LPs.

The post above mine is baffling. I don't know whether to attack what a blatant lie the user name is or how poorly written the quoted article was.

Tags
unpopular