Unpopular musical opinions II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The less said about Emotional Rescue the better, the title track notwithstanding.

Very true, though "She's So Cold" is enjoyable in a ludicrous sort of way.

I'm also surprised that Beggars Banquet is not turning up in discussions of the Stones' best work. Beggars to me is their most consistent, delightfully perverted, and overall strongest album.

Beggars in my favorite Stones album. Dirty, grimey, bluesy rock done about as good as anyone's ever done it. "Stray Cat Blues" just owns, for example. And there's even an epic opening track that doesn't fit the mood of the rest of the album at all!

But like I said earlier, you can't go wrong with any of the "big 4" albums.

what's the general opinion re A Bigger Bang? i imagine it'd be pretty hard to get into considering their body of work.

Sympathy for the Devil
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Tumbling Dice
Let it Loose
Beast of Burden
Shine a Light
Torn and Frayed
Happy
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Start Me Up

something like that. i've only got exile and forty licks. sympathy is definitely my favourite, though.

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste

what's the general opinion re A Bigger Bang? i imagine it'd be pretty hard to get into considering their body of work.

A Bigger Bang (coincidentally the same words printed on the ad Lance's Mom put in the back of the alternative weekly paper, though unlike the Stones' album she's the opposite of "hard to get into") was considered by some to be "their best since Tattoo You", but for one, they've said that the last four times the Stones put out a new album, and as I've noted before, Tattoo You is overrated anyway.

It's the kind of thing you'll play once and enjoy, and then never select it when you're looking for some Stones to listen to. With these guys post-early 70's, you're better off just pulling the few good songs they have on each album and forgetting the rest.

Beggars in my favorite Stones album. Dirty, grimey, bluesy rock done about as good as anyone's ever done it. "Stray Cat Blues" just owns, for example. And there's even an epic opening track that doesn't fit the mood of the rest of the album at all!

But like I said earlier, you can't go wrong with any of the "big 4" albums.

God, right with you there.

My favorite Stones songs would all be singles, honestly. And that's because, Unpopular Stones opinion #2? I don't think even the "Big 4" are that strong of albums. I mean, like I just said, I do love Beggar's, and Exile's a fun listen, but I'd take Hot Rocks any day over them.

One thing I will say about A Bigger Bang is that, though inconsistent, it has a few tremendous songs. "Rough Justice" and "Back of My Hand" are as strong as anything in their catalogue, in my opinion at least.

Sticky Fingers is definitely my favorite. God damn. What a record. Not a bad cut, and a few of the best songs I've heard to boot.

- The video for Fat Boy Slim's Praise You is boring.

- The buffalo video for One is excruciatingly boring. Makes me think of a PowerPoint presentation.

- Karma Police is one of Radiohead's dullest songs.

- I prefer Milk-Eyed Mender to Ys (when is Joanna Newsom going to release new stuff anyway?)

- The video for Fat Boy Slim's Praise You is boring.

- The buffalo video for One is excruciatingly boring. Makes me think of a PowerPoint presentation.

I do agree with these - I'm not the biggest fan of One, but the other two clips are decent enough. And since you mentioned it/speaking of overrated videos, Karma Police, too. Although I don't think the song is dull.

i don't think i'll understand the video for paranoid android as long as i live.

the video for pyramid song is incredible though, it's what actually got me into the song. same thing happened with lemon.

The video for "Pyramid Song" was done by the same group that did Beck's "E-Pro," QOTSA's "Go With the Flow," and Cockplay's "Strawberry Swing," all fantastic videos in their own right.

So basically, those guys known exactly what they're doing.

john_madden1.jpg

There's already a great video for this.

Great is pushing it. And you're going to be mad, but here is a similar concept with better results:

Sayonara, indie cred

Much better song too. And that's my unpopular opinion of the day.

I can't find any official release date for either video, but the "Trouble" single did come out before the "Stuck at a Match Point" single. Signs point to this not being a case of Coldplay copying Shuttlecock, so don't even start.

As I said earlier in this thread, Parachutes is the only great record Coldplay ever made. Also, Trouble >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stuck. Any halfway decent song would be.

I'd still take Rush of Blood over it, buoyed by its stellar second half. "A Whisper," the title track, and "Amsterdam" is the best three song stretch they've done, and they're all in my top ten of theirs. It's hard to really evaluate the first half since all of those songs have been played to death except "Daylight." But Parachutes still holds up to this day. "Spies" is the shit.

There's definitely a part of me that thinks that band is capable of something truly great in their future. Viva la Vida was a step in the right direction, but we'll have to wait until their next album to see if they can make the big leap I've been expecting for more than half a decade.

Viva La Vida was very good. The lyrics were too poor to carry the music, however. Chrissy really held that record back. But I mean, yeah, it was definitely a huge improvement, and gave me a lot of hope for them after the massive traffic jam heading off a cliff that was X&Y.

Well, you certainly can't say the lyrics were any worse than X&Y's. And even as cumbersome as some of the lines were (I'm looking at you, "42"), it's pretty obvious he was at least beginning to think out of the box he worked himself into. That I can appreciate. "Cemeteries of London," my favorite song on the record along with "Strawberry Swing," had some positively inspired lyrical work in the context of their canon.

But then again, if you're listening to Coldplay for lyrics, you've been shit out of luck since day 1.

I can't say enough wonderful things about Strawberry Swing. It may have climbed its way up to become my favorite Coldplay song, and remains one of the few tracks that still sounds fresh on the now-overplayed Viva La Vida. I'm rather glad they waited as long as they did to make a video and send it out to the public, but even if it oversaturated the music world the same way the first few singles did, there's nothing to hate about that song. Believe me, I've looked. It's in my cred's best interest to hate this band, but I'm genuinely rooting for them at this point. I believe, years ago, there was an element of that laughable U2/Coldplay fan rivalry tinting my view, but I've come to realize that neither band really deserves to be lauded at this stage, though both are improving.

I'd love to hear something more akin to Postcards From Home on the next album. Though they do bombastic tracks well on occasion (see Glass Of Water for a recent example), I have no doubt that a more Parachutes-esque, low-key record with Brian Eno at the helm would yield great things. In that regard, I think Viva La Vida was something of a missed opportunity; it simply didn't shake the band up the way it could have, and the experimental elements of the album were WAY overblown, but Eno definitely got Martin past writing about Junes and moons and silver spoons. He's now writing about such broad, universal topics that I have no idea what he's going for half the time, but it certainly sounds better.

And what the hell is this? :doh: :lol: That doesn't even make sense. Kind of a cool title though, better than Postcards From Far Away, anyway. Just shows how hardcore a fan I am.

Thought that's what you meant....lovely little 50 second-or-so instrumental.

No idea what to expect next from Coldplay, but Chris Martin has often talked about releasing their Kid A, and they seem intent on a 9-song album for some reason, so yeah, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom