Unpopular musical opinions II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread is called "Unpopular musical opinions", people! Not "Unpopular musical opinions that we can attack and make fun of".

superman.jpg

The thread is called "Unpopular musical opinions", people! Not "Unpopular musical opinions that we can attack and make fun of".

No discussion, everyone. Just list your opinions and move along. People will read them and react as if nothing happened. Carry on with your lives.

If you're going to list Paul ballads, at least put "Hey Jude" up there.

What are your favorite Stones songs/albums?

Because every Beatles fan is waiting at the library outside of the bar that all of the Stones fans frequent.

1. "Hey Jude" is a good one, but I wouldn't put it in my list of favorite Beatles songs. It's all personal taste, sure, but that one never "did it" for me.

I guess I should let it be known that I'm 23 years old. I never experienced "Beatlemania" and the Beatles' impact on the world was learned, not experienced, in my case.

2. My favorite Stones songs and albums normally come out of that "golden" period: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. Exile would probably be my favorite. Though I also really liked Some Girls and Undercover of the Night. The only real "bleh" Rolling Stones albums, in my opinion, were Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon, and half of Voodoo Lounge. I'm not crazy about A Bigger Bang either, to be honest. Basically everything after Tattoo You I'm not into.

Favorite Stones songs? "Shine A Light", "Rocks Off", "Tumbling Dice", and "No Expectations", and "Brown Sugar".

3. I think you missed my point with the "bookworm" thing. I agree that that's a ridiculous thing to say, but it seems that when people ask that question "Beatles or Stones" that that's what they're implying. I didn't say it was correct, I said that was how it was.

1. "Hey Jude" is a good one, but I wouldn't put it in my list of favorite Beatles songs. It's all personal taste, sure, but that one never "did it" for me.

I guess I should let it be known that I'm 23 years old. I never experienced "Beatlemania" and the Beatles' impact on the world was learned, not experienced, in my case.

2. My favorite Stones songs and albums normally come out of that "golden" period: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. Exile would probably be my favorite. Though I also really liked Some Girls and Undercover of the Night. The only real "bleh" Rolling Stones albums, in my opinion, were Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon, and half of Voodoo Lounge. I'm not crazy about A Bigger Bang either, to be honest. Basically everything after Tattoo You I'm not into.

Favorite Stones songs? "Shine A Light", "Rocks Off", "Tumbling Dice", and "No Expectations", and "Brown Sugar".

3. I think you missed my point with the "bookworm" thing. I agree that that's a ridiculous thing to say, but it seems that when people ask that question "Beatles or Stones" that that's what they're implying. I didn't say it was correct, I said that was how it was.

I'm younger than you and can relate to what you're talking about re: Beatlemania and such.

Sweet, that's where I'd be regarding the Stones as well. I'd put Goats Head Soup and Satanic Majesties Request on the short-list of awesome albums though. Good song picks, too. "Gimme Shelter" is my favorite song of all-time. OF ALL-TIME.

I'm not sure if I agree with that statement either. Most of the people that ask that question mostly consider post-Help! Beatles vs. "Golden Age" Stones, as you'd call it, from my experience with it. It's like asking The Who vs. Zeppelin or something. They're only drawing from a specific period for each band as opposed to an entire body of work.

The Stones' initial success came out of the fact that they were the "bad boy" alternative to The Beatles anyway, and I kind of take that into consideration when I compare the two acts.

I'm younger than you and can relate to what you're talking about re: Beatlemania and such.

Sweet, that's where I'd be regarding the Stones as well. I'd put Goats Head Soup and Satanic Majesties Request on the short-list of awesome albums though. Good song picks, too. "Gimme Shelter" is my favorite song of all-time. OF ALL-TIME.

I'm not sure if I agree with that statement either. Most of the people that ask that question mostly consider post-Help! Beatles vs. "Golden Age" Stones, as you'd call it, from my experience with it. It's like asking The Who vs. Zeppelin or something. They're only drawing from a specific period for each band as opposed to an entire body of work.

The Stones' initial success came out of the fact that they were the "bad boy" alternative to The Beatles anyway, and I kind of take that into consideration when I compare the two acts.

Forgot about "Gimme Shelter". Definitely a classic.

I agree that the Stones' initial success came out of being the bad boy alternative to The Beatles, but once again, much like Beatlemania, I'm free from that historical perspective. I just view it all at once: 40 years later, which act's songs do I like more?

This isn't meant to be Beatle-bashing on my part, by the way. Or Lennon bashing. I like the Beatles a lot (though I do have to admit that I was always late to that party). I just like the Stones more. Similarly, I like a lot of Lennon's songs. It's just McCartney's always did more for me.

Anyway, it's bedtime in Baltimore. Continue tomorrow?

Tumbling Dice was what won me over for Exile, after disliking it, or not getting it, for ages. Which album is Gimme Shelter on? I've wanted Beggars Banquet for years but it's always been to expensive.

:up:

i've never been a grunge fan.

All Media Reviews: Dave Grohl - WTF...

Dave Grohl - WTF...
bumped 10/6/09 11:56PM

original 8/19/09
is so special about this guy? I'm partially echoing a friend of mine's sentiments, but I agree with him for the most part.

Why do all these *legendary* musicians keep kissing this guy's ass? McCartney, Chris Squire, the Rush guys, Mike Portnoy, to now John Paul Jones in this new *supergroup* he's in with the Josh Homme from another highly overated band in Queens of the Stone Age.

Seriously, why in the blue fuck does this guy keep getting heaps of praise? Nirvana sucked all kinds of ass, and more or less became the most over-rated band of the last 20 years, if not ever. And The Foo Fighters pretty much milked the fact he came from Nirvana, and arguably, are even worse, lol.

What makes him so fucking special? There's literally hundreds of other musicians that have shown an infinite amount of more talent, than this clown. Perhaps he, like Cobain, has found some kind of way to hypnotically cause them to like him and his music. Otherwise, it's highly baffling, and the music industry would be a far-better place if he'd just go the fuck away.

Tumbling Dice was what won me over for Exile, after disliking it, or not getting it, for ages. Which album is Gimme Shelter on? I've wanted Beggars Banquet for years but it's always been to expensive.

"Tumbling Dice" is one of their best songs by a wide margin, and that's coming from a Stones fan who considers himself more of a Beatles fan. It's is on my Mount Rushmore of Stones songs along with "Gimme Shelter," "Moonlight Mile," and "Wild Horses." And "Gimme Shelter" is on Let It Bleed, one of the two Stones old LPs I own along with an original pressing of Sticky Fingers complete with zipper. Need to grab a few more of their LPs.

The post above mine is baffling. I don't know whether to attack what a blatant lie the user name is or how poorly written the quoted article was.

"Tumbling Dice" is one of their best songs by a wide margin, and that's coming from a Stones fan who considers himself more of a Beatles fan. It's is on my Mount Rushmore of Stones songs along with "Gimme Shelter," "Moonlight Mile," and "Wild Horses." And "Gimme Shelter" is on Let It Bleed, one of the two Stones old LPs I own along with an original pressing of Sticky Fingers complete with zipper. Need to grab a few more of their LPs.

The post above mine is baffling. I don't know whether to attack what a blatant lie the user name is or how poorly written the quoted article was.

I've always read/heard that Exile takes a good 50 listens to "get", and while it's still not one of my favourites it's very good. Rocks Off, Happy, Tumbling Dice, Let it Loose, Shine a Light are all fantastic. I also read that the Stones hated it? Perhaps you can shed some light on that for me. I'll be sure to acquire Let it Bleed.

:lol: i think it was just a very bitter, bored bloke with too much time on his hands.

I definitely rate Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed well above Exile. Sticky is far and away their best record, in my mind. Completely overmatches anything else they've done. I'm not sure what you're talking about the band hating, but I'm not much of a Stonesologist like I am for Dylan or the Beatles. Either way, Let it Bleed is absolutely essential listening. Keep in mind I'm a guy who likes "Country Honk" more than its more famous incarnation. But the title track is fantastic, "Live With Me" is the shit, I can't get enough of "Monkey Man," and the opener and closer are two of their finest tracks ever. Period. Sure, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is overplayed, but it's a classic for a reason.

That's my unpopular Stones opinion, I suppose. I can't get into Let It Bleed to save my life. Which is upsetting to me, since my two favorite songs by them are "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

I definitely rate Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed well above Exile. Sticky is far and away their best record, in my mind. Completely overmatches anything else they've done. I'm not sure what you're talking about the band hating, but I'm not much of a Stonesologist like I am for Dylan or the Beatles. Either way, Let it Bleed is absolutely essential listening. Keep in mind I'm a guy who likes "Country Honk" more than its more famous incarnation. But the title track is fantastic, "Live With Me" is the shit, I can't get enough of "Monkey Man," and the opener and closer are two of their finest tracks ever. Period. Sure, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is overplayed, but it's a classic for a reason.

Ehh, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed are easier to get through, but Exile just builds on both and impresses me more overall. And if you whittled it down to a single album you'd definitely have something definitively better than those two.

What we do agree on is our favs: Moonlight Mile, Gimme Shelter, and Tumblin Dice are near my top, and I'd also add Loving Cup and Fingerprint File (that funky closer on It's Only Rock And Roll). I also have a weak spot for Beast of Burden.

I'm glad YLB mentioned Goatse Head Soup; while it's not quite as good as the Big Four, it's really underrated.

See what I did there?

Exile is just a bit bloated to me. Like you said, whittle it down to one and you've got something absolutely unreal. "Loving Cup" is a great tune, absolutely, and belongs on a consolidated version. I'm also partial to "Ventilator Blues."

I knew you echoed my "Moonlight Mile" love, and it's always nice to have someone in that corner with me. Unfortunately, I'm not too terribly acquainted with "Fingerprint File," but "Beast of Burden" is a huge Stones favorite 'round Chez Impy.

And yes, I do see what you did there.

Let It Bleed has the standouts, but Sticky Fingers has a deliriously druggy, surreal atmosphere that I can't get enough of. Beggars Banquet is a mixed bag for me, a few classics, along with some garbage. And Exile? Sort of depends on my mood, but usually kickass.

Stones top 10:

1. Sway
2. Tumbling Dice
3. Dead Flowers
4. You Got The Silver
5. Gimme Shelter
6. Love In Vain
7. Loving Cup
8. Street Fighting Man
9. Happy
10. No Expectations

You Got The Silver and Love In Vain aren't usually placed in the pantheon, but I like their more rustic blues numbers, what can I say? :)

Exile is just a bit bloated to me. Like you said, whittle it down to one and you've got something absolutely unreal. "Loving Cup" is a great tune, absolutely, and belongs on a consolidated version. I'm also partial to "Ventilator Blues."

I knew you echoed my "Moonlight Mile" love, and it's always nice to have someone in that corner with me. Unfortunately, I'm not too terribly acquainted with "Fingerprint File," but "Beast of Burden" is a huge Stones favorite 'round Chez Impy.

what do you make of songs like I Just Want to See His Face? A good example of a stones song i hated with a passion, but have slowly come around to.

I had read that the Rolling Stones hated Exile on Main St, that's what I was referring to.

No discussion, everyone. Just list your opinions and move along. People will read them and react as if nothing happened. Carry on with your lives.

Yeah I've seen how you losers "discuss" in threads of bands that don't even appeal to you.

You should really check out It's Only Rock And Roll. A mixed bag, but it has like 5 really strong tracks, which is more than you can say about an overrated hodge-podge like Tattoo You. I may even put it above Some Girls, which I find a little overrated as well, but is at least a pretty consistent album.

1. Sway
2. Tumbling Dice
3. Dead Flowers
4. You Got The Silver
5. Gimme Shelter
6. Love In Vain
7. Loving Cup
8. Street Fighting Man
9. Happy
10. No Expectations

You know the band didn't only record music from '68 to '72, right? :wink:

In seriousness, those four records were their undeniable peak and this is a good list. Although I'm not sure I'd put a cover song so high up on a list from a band with such an extensive catalogue of originals...even if it is a kickass cover. But that's just me.

I'm also fond of a lot of the pre-Beggar's Banquet stuff. I mean just from '65 to '67 there was a great run - Out Of Our Heads, December's Children, Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Satanic Majesties. There's a wealth of classic shit on those albums.

I'm rambling.

Might come up with a Stones top 10 myself here in a little bit.

what do you make of songs like I Just Want to See His Face? A good example of a stones song i hated with a passion, but have slowly come around to.

Kind of a trifle, isn't it? There's nothing that makes it really stand out to me one way or another. I wouldn't skip it, but I wouldn't ever really want to listen to it either. In the context of the album, it's fine. But it's just not the kind of song that warrants any real dissection.

Yeah I've seen how you losers "discuss" in threads of bands that don't even appeal to you.

1zeayz8.gif

You should really check out It's Only Rock And Roll. A mixed bag, but it has like 5 really strong tracks, which is more than you can say about an overrated hodge-podge like Tattoo You. I may even put it above Some Girls, which I find a little overrated as well, but is at least a pretty consistent album.

I'll try to get to it soon. Fact is I'm not really well versed in much from the Goatse Soup to Emotional Rescue stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom