Unpopular musical opinions II - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #136
45:33

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
"Tumbling Dice" is one of their best songs by a wide margin, and that's coming from a Stones fan who considers himself more of a Beatles fan. It's is on my Mount Rushmore of Stones songs along with "Gimme Shelter," "Moonlight Mile," and "Wild Horses." And "Gimme Shelter" is on Let It Bleed, one of the two Stones old LPs I own along with an original pressing of Sticky Fingers complete with zipper. Need to grab a few more of their LPs.

The post above mine is baffling. I don't know whether to attack what a blatant lie the user name is or how poorly written the quoted article was.
I've always read/heard that Exile takes a good 50 listens to "get", and while it's still not one of my favourites it's very good. Rocks Off, Happy, Tumbling Dice, Let it Loose, Shine a Light are all fantastic. I also read that the Stones hated it? Perhaps you can shed some light on that for me. I'll be sure to acquire Let it Bleed.

i think it was just a very bitter, bored bloke with too much time on his hands.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:15 PM
I definitely rate Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed well above Exile. Sticky is far and away their best record, in my mind. Completely overmatches anything else they've done. I'm not sure what you're talking about the band hating, but I'm not much of a Stonesologist like I am for Dylan or the Beatles. Either way, Let it Bleed is absolutely essential listening. Keep in mind I'm a guy who likes "Country Honk" more than its more famous incarnation. But the title track is fantastic, "Live With Me" is the shit, I can't get enough of "Monkey Man," and the opener and closer are two of their finest tracks ever. Period. Sure, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is overplayed, but it's a classic for a reason.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 AM   #138
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:15 PM
That's my unpopular Stones opinion, I suppose. I can't get into Let It Bleed to save my life. Which is upsetting to me, since my two favorite songs by them are "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want".
Old 11-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #139
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I definitely rate Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed well above Exile. Sticky is far and away their best record, in my mind. Completely overmatches anything else they've done. I'm not sure what you're talking about the band hating, but I'm not much of a Stonesologist like I am for Dylan or the Beatles. Either way, Let it Bleed is absolutely essential listening. Keep in mind I'm a guy who likes "Country Honk" more than its more famous incarnation. But the title track is fantastic, "Live With Me" is the shit, I can't get enough of "Monkey Man," and the opener and closer are two of their finest tracks ever. Period. Sure, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is overplayed, but it's a classic for a reason.
Ehh, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed are easier to get through, but Exile just builds on both and impresses me more overall. And if you whittled it down to a single album you'd definitely have something definitively better than those two.

What we do agree on is our favs: Moonlight Mile, Gimme Shelter, and Tumblin Dice are near my top, and I'd also add Loving Cup and Fingerprint File (that funky closer on It's Only Rock And Roll). I also have a weak spot for Beast of Burden.

I'm glad YLB mentioned Goatse Head Soup; while it's not quite as good as the Big Four, it's really underrated.

See what I did there?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 AM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Exile is just a bit bloated to me. Like you said, whittle it down to one and you've got something absolutely unreal. "Loving Cup" is a great tune, absolutely, and belongs on a consolidated version. I'm also partial to "Ventilator Blues."

I knew you echoed my "Moonlight Mile" love, and it's always nice to have someone in that corner with me. Unfortunately, I'm not too terribly acquainted with "Fingerprint File," but "Beast of Burden" is a huge Stones favorite 'round Chez Impy.

And yes, I do see what you did there.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #141
The Male

Let It Bleed has the standouts, but Sticky Fingers has a deliriously druggy, surreal atmosphere that I can't get enough of. Beggars Banquet is a mixed bag for me, a few classics, along with some garbage. And Exile? Sort of depends on my mood, but usually kickass.

Stones top 10:

1. Sway
2. Tumbling Dice
3. Dead Flowers
4. You Got The Silver
5. Gimme Shelter
6. Love In Vain
7. Loving Cup
8. Street Fighting Man
9. Happy
10. No Expectations

You Got The Silver and Love In Vain aren't usually placed in the pantheon, but I like their more rustic blues numbers, what can I say?

Now.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #142
45:33

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Exile is just a bit bloated to me. Like you said, whittle it down to one and you've got something absolutely unreal. "Loving Cup" is a great tune, absolutely, and belongs on a consolidated version. I'm also partial to "Ventilator Blues."

I knew you echoed my "Moonlight Mile" love, and it's always nice to have someone in that corner with me. Unfortunately, I'm not too terribly acquainted with "Fingerprint File," but "Beast of Burden" is a huge Stones favorite 'round Chez Impy.

what do you make of songs like I Just Want to See His Face? A good example of a stones song i hated with a passion, but have slowly come around to.

I had read that the Rolling Stones hated Exile on Main St, that's what I was referring to.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
No discussion, everyone. Just list your opinions and move along. People will read them and react as if nothing happened. Carry on with your lives.
Yeah I've seen how you losers "discuss" in threads of bands that don't even appeal to you.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #144
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
I actually agree, Zoots. Strength in numbers.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #146
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Yeah I've seen how you losers "discuss" in threads of bands that don't even appeal to you.
Name calling is not necessary. The thread has gotten back on topic now, lets move on.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You should really check out It's Only Rock And Roll. A mixed bag, but it has like 5 really strong tracks, which is more than you can say about an overrated hodge-podge like Tattoo You. I may even put it above Some Girls, which I find a little overrated as well, but is at least a pretty consistent album.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

1. Sway
2. Tumbling Dice
3. Dead Flowers
4. You Got The Silver
5. Gimme Shelter
6. Love In Vain
7. Loving Cup
8. Street Fighting Man
9. Happy
10. No Expectations
You know the band didn't only record music from '68 to '72, right?

In seriousness, those four records were their undeniable peak and this is a good list. Although I'm not sure I'd put a cover song so high up on a list from a band with such an extensive catalogue of originals...even if it is a kickass cover. But that's just me.

I'm also fond of a lot of the pre-Beggar's Banquet stuff. I mean just from '65 to '67 there was a great run - Out Of Our Heads, December's Children, Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Satanic Majesties. There's a wealth of classic shit on those albums.

I'm rambling.

Might come up with a Stones top 10 myself here in a little bit.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #149
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
You know the band didn't only record music from '68 to '72, right?
Oh yeah, I felt pretty guilty for leaving off She's A Rainbow, Some Girls, Jumpin' Jack Flash, etc. etc. but there's only so much room to work with.

Now.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
what do you make of songs like I Just Want to See His Face? A good example of a stones song i hated with a passion, but have slowly come around to.
Kind of a trifle, isn't it? There's nothing that makes it really stand out to me one way or another. I wouldn't skip it, but I wouldn't ever really want to listen to it either. In the context of the album, it's fine. But it's just not the kind of song that warrants any real dissection.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
You should really check out It's Only Rock And Roll. A mixed bag, but it has like 5 really strong tracks, which is more than you can say about an overrated hodge-podge like Tattoo You. I may even put it above Some Girls, which I find a little overrated as well, but is at least a pretty consistent album.
I'll try to get to it soon. Fact is I'm not really well versed in much from the Goatse Soup to Emotional Rescue stretch.

Tags
unpopular