Unpopular musical opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Ask and ye shall receive. To follow on from the "unpopular U2 opinions" thread over on EYKIW, here is pretty much a blatant rip-off of a rather enduring and lengthy thread on RateYourMusic's forum. Whether it's love for something generally derided, overlooked, or simply considered unremarkable, or hatred for something generally held in high regard, this is the place to go nuts listing it.

To get things started:

- I may have long since moved on from U2 fandom and think pretty lowly of a lot of the band's work nowadays, but I can't move on from one thing: the performance of One Tree Hill on 26 December 1989 is quite simply the best five or so minutes of music I have ever heard.
- The definitive shoegaze album is Ride's Nowhere, not MBV's Loveless.
- Woodface is Crowded House's worst, not best, album. Together Alone was the band's pinnacle.
- There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanky, technical, overblown, pompous progressive rock. It is, in and of itself, a good thing.
- Though Genesis sucked. Especially The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Some bands are just boring.
- Speaking of bad seventies double albums by prog bands, The Wall is Pink Floyd's second worst album. (The Final Cut is the worst.)
- A Momentary Lapse Of Reason isn't too bad. Sorrow is one of my two favourite Floyd tracks.
- And my very favourite Pink Floyd track is Summer '68. Yes, Summer '68.
- I don't like the Beatles.
- I may be a metal fan, but thrash metal (e.g. Metallica) and NWOBHM (e.g. Iron Maiden) are just ... boring. In fact, I don't find much of interest in metal prior to about 1990.

Knock yourselves out.

- Gin Blossoms and Hootie & the Blowfish should be recognised as important musical and cultural institutions, not merely lightweight pieces of mid-90's nostalgia.

- Travis might be recognised as the bridge between 90's BritPoP and the British "very heavy soft rock" of the noughties (Keane, Coldplay, Snow Patrol), yet are actually overwhelmingly better than any of the bands from either scene.

- The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society > any Beatles album

- Eurodance (Real McCoy, La Bouche) is timeless, brilliant and beautiful.

- Morrissey is hands-down the greatest lyricist of all time

- White Stripes are shit, and Jack White is a wanker.

- Stone Roses and Happy Mondays would have been ridiculously massive had they not all been drug fucked.

The Beatles and Radiohead are sorely overrated

October is a great album

Nirvana made one OK album, although it was mostly speeded up recycled Black Sabbath riffs

What's wrong exactly with the Black Album and Load, they sound fine to me.

Jimi Hendrix is mostly unlistenable.

Ask and ye shall receive.

:yippie:

- The definitive shoegaze album is Ride's Nowhere, not MBV's Loveless.

:hi5:

-Alligator > Boxer
-In regards to At the Drive-In spinoffs, Sparta is considerably better than the Mars Volta
-Hail to the Thief is a good album
-Wild Mood Swings, Bloodflowers, and The Cure are not bad albums

YMCA is a highly overrated daft song.

Dogstar actually were a good band.

Basshead's music (Now You're Gone, etc) - is stupid.

Leona Lewis is highly overrated.

Christina sings way way better than Britney.

there are many bands out there way overrated because of success, and thats what kills the best thing about them.

Keane is awesome! Hopes & Fears is one of the, if not THE best album of this decade.

Pearl Jam is one of the top bands of all-time. I think they're somewhat underrated here cos they're clubbed in with grunge. In reality they moved on from grunge in the mid 90's and have released one stellar album after another!

Metallica's Load and Reload are great!

REM's Monster is very enjoyable.

Oasis don't really sound like the Beatles half the time. They do have their own sound.

YMCA is a highly overrated daft song.

:laugh:

- Travis might be recognised as the bridge between 90's BritPoP and the British "very heavy soft rock" of the noughties (Keane, Coldplay, Snow Patrol), yet are actually overwhelmingly better than any of the bands from either scene.

:hi5:

-Hail to the Thief is a good album

:yes: I'm putting it on my top 100 list, half becuase I like it so much and half to piss off Mel :giggle:

ETA: oh and I don't like Wilco... at all.

I can't stand Bob Dylan's voice so I therefore cannot listen to his music.

I like Rush.

As was said earlier, October is a good album.

Catherine Wheel were incredible.

Kid A is wildly overrated.

I like a lot of disco tunes.

no, but if you have a pic, put it UP!

I forgot you are big into Disco, but Disco is so dead honey.
(actually it isn't but young ones today would find it hard to dance too)

I mean, play Disco in a roomful of people ranging from 20 to 90 and watch the Grandads get up and almost detach their legs from their hips in re-doing a Travolta move.

:D

The Beatles are overrated.

Conor Oberst is not a genius.

Sinead O' Connor is one of the best female artist of all time.

Hip Hop and Pop are both viable artforms if done right...

Neil Diamond is the shit...

The Killers are shit.

U2 may not be making my favorite music these days, but U2 bashing is just boring.

Just to name a few...

Drums are the most important instrument in rock.
Stephen Perkins is the greatest drummer.

The Who are wildly overrated.

Bob Dylan is annoying.

Motown is rock's greatest sub-genre.

Downward is Heavenward by Hum is criminally ignored. It is one of the 90s greatest albums.

Jane's Addiction is America's greatest band. Followed by the Pixies, P Funk and the Ramones.

America is not very good at producing great rock and roll bands. England is far superior - pound for pound.

Jimi Hendrix was too good for Rock and Roll.

The Rolling Stones are theives. Their best songs were written by others.

The Verve should have stayed Shoegaze.

Eric Clapton is boring.

Meddle is Floyd's best album.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Country music is a perfectly legitimate genre and deserves more respect/attention.

Michael Stipe is the greatest bald, white, homosexual frontman to ever come out of Athens, Georgia.

Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy.

Pink Floyd....ehhhh. Overrated.

I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself.

British Pop Music is amazing.

Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.

Coldplay is cool.

Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances.

Tupac Shakur was one of the most brilliant musical artists of the last quarter century.

This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom