Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I literally remember calling one of my friends and saying, "I don't know what's going on, but I just heard Modest Mouse on the radio." How it suddenly got picked up by the mainstream, I'll never know.

Probably because it's the only Modest Mouse song that doesn't make you want to slit your wrists. It's actually somewhat optimistic.

I have actually never listened to a full album from them. But I can say that Sweet Home Alabama is probably among my three or four most despised songs. That line about "conscience bothering you" over Watergate is so ludicrously hypocritical that I can barely stomach it. They put a Confederate flag on the single cover and then have the audacity to preach about conscience.

I have actually never listened to a full album from them. But I can say that Sweet Home Alabama is probably among my three or four most despised songs. That line about "conscience bothering you" over Watergate is so ludicrously hypocritical that I can barely stomach it. They put a Confederate flag on the single cover and then have the audacity to preach about conscience.

I hate it as well, along with Werewolves of London and their evil, shall-not-be-named spawn that came out a few years ago.

How dare you.

:lol: take dat wit chew?

I don't like that Beach House wrote the lead track from the album you're alluding to as an homage to the 2005 Hayden Panettiere romp Racing Stripes.

I'm coming to see Katy Perry as one of the more talented and likable of the pop starlets. A song like ET shows off an impressive vocal range, and, unlike someone like Gaga, she seems to realize that her camp factor is cheesy rather than hyper-significant.

iron yuppie said:
A song like ET shows off an impressive vocal range

I think she's one of the most awful singers pop music has seen in years. Firework is the only song Glee hasn't made more annoying. She's like two octaves above her range for the whole song.

Though I'm no fan of Katy Perry I do like Teenage Dream.

aside from that song, i don't know who she is (nor do i really care*). and the even more ridiculous part being that i only know that song because they used it in glee. of course, the fact that i was watching that show in the first place is still utterly out of character, but even moreso is the fact that i really, really liked that version for some inexplicable reason. well, perhaps because it's catchy. i do like catchy. but outside of that, it should just be generic pop song. *i youtube'd the actual song and was less than impressed.

I think she's one of the most awful singers pop music has seen in years. Firework is the only song Glee hasn't made more annoying. She's like two octaves above her range for the whole song.

Well, yeah, Firework is definitely beyond her capabilities. I think that she works more effectively with darker, moodier songs like ET and I Kissed a Girl. I am using "dark" and "moody" generously here, of course, and only in relation to confectionery songs like Firework and California Girls.

I can't really stand ET for some reason, but in spite of myself, I have found myself enjoying a great deal of her music.

And I love "Teenage Dream"

I like her, but her singles have been a bit hit or miss for me. The run of success she's had with the singles off of her latest album has been damn impressive, though. I mean, every single she's released off that thing has become a massive, can't-escape-it radio hit.

Her new single "Last Friday Night" is another Dr. Luke/Max Martin concoction and sounds like it's trying to be a Ke$ha song, but it'll probably be another hit, and the music video is decently amusing, and prominently features Rebecca Black, which is cool.

Who the fuck is Dr. Luke? He sounds like an asshole, or a character on General Hospital, or perhaps both.

Fuck you Dr. Luke, ok?

Super sought-after modern pop music songwriter/producer/manufacturer who has been involved in a number of the biggest pop hits of the last 10 years or so.

Since U Been Gone, Party in the USA, Girlfriend, Dynamite, U + Ur Hand, Tik Tok, I Kissed A Girl (basically all of Ke$ha and Katy Perry's shit), lots of other Britney, Avril and K. Clarkson shit.

Also, one of the best Sugababes songs, a song which almost certainly would have been a big hit over here, but English pop groups tend to like to stay in England for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom