Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find Meat Is Murder pretty inconsistent, but when it really clicks into place, you can hear genius at work. Like, the title track is enough to make someone eat raw meat every day for the rest of their lives, whereas The Headmaster Ritual and How Soon Is Now are brilliant.

Still haven't heard Strangeways, Here We Come. I need to get on that.

I hate hate hate Bigmouth Strikes Again.

It's not my least favorite song by them, but because its tune is more catchy than a lot of their work I DON'T enjoy, it gets stuck in my head far easier, and it just destroys me when that happens.

As for "There's a Light", that's one of my favorite songs of all time, so Cobbler, pistols at dawn will be just fine.

I don't care about The Smiths. Saw Morrissey live once and that was disappointing. I feel no need to explore their catalogue any further.
:shrug:

Let me reiterate once again that this is a terrific thread title.

As for "There's a Light", that's one of my favorite songs of all time, so Cobbler, pistols at dawn will be just fine.

I never said I don't like the song. I ranked it third on the album, and I enjoy all the songs. I just don't think it's the second coming of Christ, like I've said before.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like any post Dark Side Pink Floyd. Most of the albums up to and including dark Side are great, though.

What don't you like about WYWH or Animals? Near-flawless records, the two of them, in my view.

You've certainly caused quite a storm in EYKIW. I have wanted to belt my head against a wall reading many of your arguments with BVS and the like, but you seem to have a pretty knowledgeable grip on other music, so hopefully you stick around in here a bit.

Still haven't heard Strangeways, Here We Come. I need to get on that.

Yes, yes you do. I think that I might have passed out of existence in somber delight had Moz played "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" when I saw him.

I've never much dug/gotten into Morrissey or The Smiths. The couple Smiths songs I have heard were decent (The Queen Is Dead and Cemetry Gates), but didn't make much of an impression on me. :shrug:

I love the Smiths, but I can't stand Morrissey on his own.

On a related note, what the fuck is Johnny Marr doing wasting his time in Modest Mouse?

On a related note, what the fuck is Johnny Marr doing wasting his time in Modest Mouse?

Why wouldn't he want to play with a band that both has critical acclaim and popularity at his age? Not like he's done anything decent on his own since The Smiths.

OK, maybe its because I hate Modest Mouse, or maybe its because I think his style doesn't fit with them at all.

It's not as if they forced him to join or something. For all intents and purposes, he's hardly even contributed.

Never been a fan of Modest Mouse.

And when I read that Isaac Brock intentionally cut himself on stage in front of fans, I wanted to punch that emo twat in the face.

Big Boi is working with Modest Mouse. Couldn't name a song of theirs.

Mysterious Ways is my least favourite on Achtung.
You know Float On. Even if you've never heard it (which I doubt), I'm sure you heard the Lupe track that samples it.

It was in Rock Band, if you ever had that. I once tried to sing it at my buddy's house before passing out in the middle of the kitchen.

The Moon And Antarctica is an incredible listening experience. So harrowing and beautiful, and its cohesion really makes sure you feel as if you're going on a weird spiritual journey with the band, rather than being preached at way out in the audience. Nothing else by Modest Mouse has moved me to such a degree, or even come close.

Float On is overrated and Lupe just made it worse. The vocals are more fun on Guitar Hero/Rock Band than the guitar is, ftr.

Meh, I think he greatly improved it. But needless to say I was beyond shocked when I queued up that track for the first time and heard that music in the intro, and then the vocal kicked in and I was even more surprised.

I absolutely hate the beach boys, the who, and duran duran. I'm also not sure what all the fuss about lynard skynard was.

Float On is overrated and Lupe just made it worse. The vocals are more fun on Guitar Hero/Rock Band than the guitar is, ftr.

I still haven't heard this supposed fiasco of a "sample".

I don't know if I'd say it's overrated, maybe more overexposed. That all said, you have no idea how incredibly mind blowing it was the first time I heard it on a mainstream radio station. I literally remember calling one of my friends and saying, "I don't know what's going on, but I just heard Modest Mouse on the radio." How it suddenly got picked up by the mainstream, I'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom