Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:
Interesting, and I'd pretty much agree, assuming Synchronicity II opens Side Two instead of closing Side One, because that one is great.

Regardless, is this the most bottom-heavy album of all time, considering how successful those three big singles were?

It does not, actually, but my point is still proven because it at least begins Synchronicity's streak of greatness. Synchronicity II and Wrapped Around Your Finger are my two favorite Police songs.

You don't count it as such, but Magical Mystery Tour is the most bottom-heavy album of all time. Baby got back.

No, I don't count it. B-sides + collected singles ≠ album

Also, the stuff on side one isn't bad, it's just that the rest of it is phenomenal. With Synchronicity, you actually have subpar material until you get to that halfway point.

The only Police song that I really like is "Don't Stand So Close to Me." "Fields of Gold" is a beautiful song, though.

that "baby, baby, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease" in Every Breath/Step You Take/I'll Be Watching You (still have no idea what it's called) is a great, great moment.

The only Police song that I really like is "Don't Stand So Close to Me." "Fields of Gold" is a beautiful song, though.

Sting's lute version of "Fields" is tops for me. "Don't Stand So Close to Me '86" is tied with The Stones' "The Harlem Shuffle" and Floyd's "The Dogs of War" as the worst songs ever by normally great bands.

I haven't heard Floyd's Dogs of War, but I saw a cover band play it, and I was surprised in that it wasn't the worst song I ever heard.

I haven't heard Floyd's Dogs of War, but I saw a cover band play it, and I was surprised in that it wasn't the worst song I ever heard.

Compared to the rest of the band's catalog, it's bringing up the rear.

LMP said:
Sting's lute version of "Fields" is tops for me.

That's probably the most uncool thing I've ever heard, in theory, but I need to seek it out. I've always thought an acoustic version of that song would kill.

I like a lot of Sting's solo work.

I even have the CD with all the lutes. I even like it (although the spoken word bits are silly).

How's that for unpopular?

"Don't Stand So Close to Me '86" is tied with The Stones' "The Harlem Shuffle" and Floyd's "The Dogs of War" as the worst songs ever by normally great bands.

For me, The Who's "You Better You Bet" is the worst song ever by a great band. Yet Pete insists on placing it on every one of their compilations and playing it at every one of their shows.

I also have a soft spot for Momentary Lapse of Reason - even "Dogs of War." At one point, I listened to that album ad naseum. For my money, "If" is the worst Floyd song. Waters does not do quiet sentimentality too well.

It's also funny that you mention "Harlem Shuffle." It came on my iPod Shuffle the other day, and I was marveling that the Stones were able to make a song with so little merit into something palatable.

I don't mind "You Better You Bet" too much. The commonality between The Who and Floyd's low points is that they had lost a key member (Moon and Waters, respectively) by the time those tracks came around. With The Stones, the "Harlem Shuffle" was a painful attempt to create a line dance. The '68 Stones would slap them in the face.

I'm not sure if you consider The Final Cut to be that same type of quiet sentimentality, but I find that to be Waters' most affecting work, particularly "The Final Cut" and "The Gunner's Dream." Devastating stuff.

I'm not sure if you consider The Final Cut to be that same type of quiet sentimentality, but I find that to be Waters' most affecting work, particularly "The Final Cut" and "The Gunner's Dream." Devastating stuff.

Oh, I love and respect The Final Cut. It's a legitimate five-star album in my book. The thing about "If" is that he's almost trying to act like he is a nice, benign guy, whereas in FC he is unrepentant and unrelenting.

If is creepier than anything on The Wall or Final Cut. Especially when the drills come in. Brrrr...

Axver and I don't often agree on music, but Summer 68 is the best song on Atom Heart Mother and one of their best songs in general. Incredible arrangement, and the lyrics are so revealing, especially when you consider how detached they usually are.

I like the Police, hate their albums.

:sad:

I think all of The Police albums are quite cohesive, some of the better rock albums of their era. I feel incredibly lucky to have seen their reunion tour. Also I don't understand why Fields was mentioned in the context of the Police though as that's a Sting song.

That's probably the most uncool thing I've ever heard, in theory, but I need to seek it out. I've always thought an acoustic version of that song would kill.

I've given up on being cool a long time ago.

I think Bigmouth Strikes Again might be my favourite song on The Queen is Dead.

I think you're wrong. :wink:

I mean, you're right about it being your favorite, unless you're in denial for whatever reason, but seriously:

1. Cemetry Gates
2. The Queen Is Dead
3. I Know It's Over
4. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
5. The Born With The Thorn In His Side
6. Bigmouth Strikes Again
7. Never Had No One Ever
8. Frankly, Mr Shankly
9. Vicar In A Tutu
10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

1. There Is a Light
2. I Know It's Over
3. The Boy with the Thorn
4. Cemetry Gates
5. Bigmouth

After that, it gets tough. But it's a fantastic album. "I Know It's Over" is absolutely devastating, a beautiful, heart-wrenching song.

Bigmouth
Queen is Dead
Light That Never Goes Out
Cemetery Gates
I Know It's Over
Some Girls
Frankly Mr Shankly
Never Had No One
Thorn
Vicar

Don't see the fuss over Light That Never Goes Out personally.

Don't see the fuss over Light That Never Goes Out personally.

I think that one's attitude toward There Is a Light will depend a lot on how one feels about Moz as a lyricist, as the song encapsulates him almost perfectly. The sardonic, morose humor mixed with the poignant self-awareness is really his hallmark. Personally, I love it.

1. The Queen Is Dead
2. Bigmouth Strikes Again
3. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
4. Cemetery Gates
5. I Know It's Over
6. Frankly, Mr Shankly
7. Vicar In A Tutu
8. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
9. Never Had No One Ever

I'm not keen on The Smiths apart from this album, but what an album.

The other albums have their moments (esp the debut)but this album really is on another, more exhilarating level. It remains my favourite of all time, and I had great trouble ranking the songs, so didn't.

Meat Is Murder is on par with The Queen Is Dead, if you ask me. As is Hatful of Hollow, if we count that as a proper album. The Smiths are one of those bands that have several fabulous non-album tracks, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Unlovable, and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now among them.

1. The Queen Is Dead
2. Bigmouth Strikes Again
3. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
4. Cemetery Gates
5. I Know It's Over
6. Frankly, Mr Shankly
7. Vicar In A Tutu
8. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
9. Never Had No One Ever

I'm not keen on The Smiths apart from this album, but what an album.

Weird, I was going to make my list but then I saw that you did it for me!

All of their records have been my favourite at some point. They were a perfect band, four classic albums, and Hatful of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs...and they'll never ruin it by getting back together.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like any post Dark Side Pink Floyd. Most of the albums up to and including dark Side are great, though.

However, I enjoy Piper and Syd solo more than post Syd Pink Floyd, though both are great and Echoes is the third best best Floyd song (after Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomie Domine).

A number of krautrock (awful term...) bands kick their asses is the psych wars, too.

I think that one's attitude toward There Is a Light will depend a lot on how one feels about Moz as a lyricist, as the song encapsulates him almost perfectly. The sardonic, morose humor mixed with the poignant self-awareness is really his hallmark. Personally, I love it.

Well said. What an awesome sing-a-long chorus.

Meat Is Murder is on par with The Queen Is Dead, if you ask me. As is Hatful of Hollow, if we count that as a proper album. The Smiths are one of those bands that have several fabulous non-album tracks, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Unlovable, and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now among them.

"Ask" is wonderful as well.

Back
Top Bottom