Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if this opinion is unpopular or not, but was Cobl4 the one who suggested a while back that I should listen to Disclosure? I'm pretty sure it was Disclosure that was mentioned. Anyway I've had occasion to hear some of their stuff without making any effort to.... and I loathe it.
In general lately I have been pretty cold towards the dance music that is popular on this and other internet places I frequent. I also thought Jamie XX's album was less than spectacular.

Listen Without Prejudice in general is a masterwork.

There's a name we don't see too much around the Blue Crack. If he didn't have his problems with Sony, I think he would have had a more prolific career. I actually dug his stuff from Wham excluding Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, of course. :wink:

Butch's production played a huge part in making Nirvana. The production was amazing, and exactly what Nirvana wanted at the time.

Nirvana was a great band, but not the legendary band they are now touted.

Yeah, saying they are overrated isn't an uncommon opinion.

Nirvana was a good to great band, the time and place made them "legendary".

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm glad you like the production. I don't. You make it sound like I'm denying a historical fact by not bowing down at the altar of Butch Vig though. :lol:

Nirvana always would have been a good band no matter when they formed, but I don't think they would be forced on the world as determinedly if not for timing.

I'm glad you like the production. I don't. You make it sound like I'm denying a historical fact by not bowing down at the altar of Butch Vig though. :lol:
By no means... I don't believe in musical altars.
Nirvana always would have been a good band no matter when they formed, but I don't think they would be forced on the world as determinedly if not for timing.

I completely agree :up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Nirvana's catalogue is excellent as it is.

If Kurt Cobain had lived, I don't think the band would have lasted much longer than another album or two, and I'm not convinced they would be great ones, either.

I agree with many that the legendary tag they carry is certainly arguable.

In general lately I have been pretty cold towards the dance music that is popular on this and other internet places I frequent. I also thought Jamie XX's album was less than spectacular.

Glad I'm not alone. I am left to think I basically just don't like dance music, not the 2015 iteration of it anyhow. Electronic music more broadly, that's a different story.

In Colour was pretty average, yeah. It's fun to put on every once in a while, but if I never hear it again, I wouldn't be missing out on much. It seemed like a grab bag of well-worn ideas that didn't cohere into a polished sound. As a collection of singles, Disclosure's debut is more fun and Jon Hopkins' last album is a stronger example of the microhouse Jamie XX hints at without diving in.

By no means is it bad though, I quite like it and have returned to it a few times.

Nirvana are what happens when you take Boston and add a little dash of The Meat Puppets and a few drops of The Melvins.

Boston are crap.

Ergo.

I'm also not crazy about Kurt's tendency toward chorus and reverb during that period, but that's not Vig's fault.

Yeah, I mean - I think Vig is a good producer, I think Albini is almost uniformly excellent, but everything was awash with reverb in the early 90s. That's a sign of the times. Slint's Tweez is just doused in chorus, and that album is revered in a lot of alternative circles.

Wow - I am surprised I wasn't asked to give up my Interland membership!

I have another one that might spark some debate - but my metal freinds are split on this one some actually do agree with me on this:

Ronnie James Dio Sabbath was better than Ozzy Sabbath, like I said this isn't as controversial as the Nirvana opinion but I jut wondered what everyone's take is on this one.

I can maybe understand how someone could say Pink Floyd is a bit cold - some of their stuff is kinda depressing, I'm sure we all can admit - although I would counter that person probably hasn't listened to them in any real kind of depth.

Emotionless is right out to lunch though. The vocals (both delivery and lyrics) and music are the polar opposite of emotionless, from Gilmour's mournful cries at the end of A Saucerful of Secrets, Rick Wright doing Us and Them, Waters on the second half of Hey You, even Mason's drums on One of These Days (go watch the Pompeii version and tell me that isn't incredible)...there are countless examples, and this is a huge reason why I love Pink Floyd so much.

Emotionless? Hell no. Anyone who says that should consider that it might be the listener.
Cold is different from depressing. I like depressing music when it's good. Cold is like Shine on You Crazy Diamond, where it makes me feel absolutely nothing. None of the vocals make me feel a thing. That's how I feel about nearly every Pink Floyd song. Hence, emotionless.

Back
Top Bottom